Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 138862 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2016, 01:55:57 AM »
Won't be too long Dave, I still need to finish up the cylinder bore, the water jacket and then the collars and make the other side rod too. Bot if all that goes well then I will be needing these casting done to check fits, etc. All in due time :)

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »
First up this morning was to finish up the base casting. Using the steel surface plate and some 220 grit paper I removed the burrs raised by tapping the holes in the pillars and got rid of the Dykem as well (Photo 1). Just to make it look a bit better (even though it won't be seen) I did the same to the underside of the base casting to get rid of most of the machining marks (photo 2).

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »
Then it was on to the water jacket and finishing up the last detail on the cylinder. After squaring up one end of the brass tubing supplied for the water jacket, I parted it off just over the required length and then faced the parted off end to the final length (photo 1). The inlet and outlet tubes of the water jacket are 180 degrees apart so to insure that was the case I used one of the lathe chuck arbors in the mill vise to drill the first hole (photo 2) and then rotating the arbor 180 degrees to locate and drill the second hole on the opposite end (photo 3). After tapping both holes 3/16"-40 and a little clean up and polishing, the water jacket is complete as shown in photo 4.

I still needed to drill and tap a 5-40 hole in the back end of the cylinder for the oiler shown in photo 5. After deburring the inside of that the bore is now looking good and smooth (photo 6), and the last picture shows how the water jacket will fit over the cylinder (not sure if I have it oriented right or not but you get the idea). Both the ribs on the cylinder as well as the ends of the water jacket will be sandwiched between the two collars. I will likely get bock to work on those this evening and tomorrow.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »
That's looking great Bill and I can't get over how nice the base casting looks. Did you hone the cylinder it looks great?

Don

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2016, 09:48:21 PM »
I usually find polishing metal bits very relaxing and it also gives me time to think about the next operation.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2016, 10:01:19 PM »
Thanks guys, yes Don I spent a lot of time on the cylinder until I was happy with it...boring first, flexhone, then lapping with some clover compound I had on hand...rinse...repeat (not the boring of course).

Vince, I know what you mean...it is satisfying and I often have the plans handy to look at or think about the next part too. If that doesn't do it, I can always work with the brown stuff too. Actually I stopped by the big box store this week to get the oak for the skid it will be mounted to. I am modifying Todd's plans a bit so that it will look more like the one I did for the Briggs engine.

Bill

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2016, 10:13:30 PM »
Beautiful surfaces Bill.  They show off your care and attention to detail.
Charlie

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2016, 10:19:18 PM »
Thanks Charlie, I am certainly enjoying following along on your 1/4 scale Cirrus build...you are doing some wonderful work on it  :praise2:

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2016, 10:53:49 PM »
Beautiful surfaces Bill.  They show off your care and attention to detail.

Yeah that's what I was noticing. You said it well.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2016, 12:01:32 AM »
Beautiful work Bill!  You could use it for a mirror to shave in!
Like the cylinder and water jacket too.  Fine work Bill!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2016, 01:16:36 AM »
Very nice Bill!

Enjoying seeing your progress.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2016, 01:21:12 AM »
Kim and Dave, many thanks for looking in guys. I'm trying to make a little progress each day, even if its just some small bits...the support is much appreciated.

Bill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2016, 04:27:45 AM »
Hello Dave,
That base sure has come a long way from the ones in the photo below!
Your's is base #3a from the initial, trial run at the foundry.
Enjoy the "before" pic.  :-)
Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
I was missing the brown stuff a bit and had already gotten the necessary red oak project boards I needed for the base. Yesterday at work I laid out the side rails and sliced through the areas to be removed with the small table saw there (sorry no pic of that).  This morning I clamped the two side rails together and using the mill cleaned up the slots depths and widths to the required dimensions shown in the plans (photo 1). I should note that I am modifying the base to a design more similar to the one I used for the Briggs engine. I wanted there to be a radiused underside on the ends of each runner (forming handles in a way) so I used the band saw to rough those out and then back to the mill to mill closer to the layout lines (photo 2) and then finished the contour with a sanding drum (photo 3). It dawned on me that once everything was glued together I wouldn't  be able to chamfer the inside bottom edges of side rails so I did that before gluing anything together. I will have a picture of that in the next post. The last three photos included here are just of a rough fitting up of the side rails and cross pieces with the engine base shown in its approximate position. More to follow later this evening.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2016, 10:15:30 PM »
Bill you sure know you way around the brown stuff buddy, because that turned out great for using machine tools to do the cutting. That will look great after you finish it............I .........like........... :Love:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal