Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 139268 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
That is looking great! I have the new plan set from Todd and, like Chuck, thinking about doing it from barstock. It should be doable between the Bridgeport and the big lathe. I will, however, look at the casting set at CF and discuss this with Todd at the Little Locos booth.
Keep it up. Work is certainly a distraction.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2015, 03:51:36 PM »
Stan, as I told Chuck and as I had planned to do myself originally, this should be totally doable from bar stock. But the extra incentive Todd provided pushed me over the top as far as the castings were concerned. If I were abetting man, I might bet a set will follow your home from CF this year :)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
Bill, Stan may pick up two sets   On for him and one for a certain lady across the pond  :stir: :stir:

Cletus

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2015, 06:28:46 PM »
 :whoohoo:  :whoohoo:  :whoohoo:  :whoohoo:  :whoohoo:  :whoohoo:  :whoohoo:  :whoohoo:  :whoohoo:

:-* What a lovely man  :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
 :lolb:

Hey big E did you notice how quiet Stan has gone, I must have been shock to his system being potentially called a lovely man  :mischief:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »
Pardon us Bill, but,  I think Stan might just be bashful Jo. Perhaps enticing him with some fine Scottish produce and a play with Mr. Silky might bring him around  :stir: :stir: :cheers:

Big E

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2015, 07:17:54 PM »
No problem guys and gal, I noticed the quiet too :)

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
Well nothing like ending 2015 with a mistake. I was machining away on one of the Cylinder Collar castings and was about done with it when I apparently miscalculated when cleaning up the final OD of the casting. Anyway I will show the pictures of the machining up to that point and shoot a PM off to Todd to see if I can get another casting.

Photo 1 shows the casting mounted in the 4 jaw chuck where the various diameter bores were made to the proper depths. After removing the 4 jaw (photo 2), I flipped the part around to face off the back side to the specified width (Photo 3). Then the 3 jaw was mounted to the rotary table, to locate the two larger holes though not drilling the one through the squared off tang yet (photo 4). To maintain alignment and squareness the rotary table was mounted vertically to tap drill the two #50 holes in the square tang of the collar (photo 5). With this done the larger two holes were drilled and then the width of the square tang machined to its correct width. Feeling pretty good so far about how things were going, I recentered the part on the rotary table (back in its horizontal position) to machine the major OD of the part down to the 1.38" called for. All I can figure it that I miscounted the handwheel turns and machined an extra .050" per side off the diameter because it ended up at 1.28" rather than 1.38. A few choice words ensued. You can see in the  final picture where the major OD should be equal where it runs across the square and rounded tangs, and it obviously isn't. Drats !!!  In hindsight I should have flipped the part over again before this step to provide a visual indication of when I was getting close. There are a few things I will do different on try #2. The other collar is substantially the same so I can work on it while seeing about the replacement casting.

Guess its better to end the year with a mistake rather than starting the new year off with one, but still  :slap:

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Bill
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:19:05 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2015, 10:16:11 PM »
Guess its better to end the year with a mistake rather than starting the new year off with one, but still  :slap:

There are worse ways to end a year. And worse ways to begin a year. Either way...just a small thing.

Happy New Year Bill.

Well nothing like ending 20105

Wouldn't that be interesting?  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2015, 10:21:18 PM »
Very interesting Zee, corrected the typo now. Yes its a small thing but still frustrating and yes, it could be much worse. At least I can use it to check the fits on the cylinder itself and the water jacket.

Bill

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
Yup, that's the way I would look at it : "I now have a go-no-go gage" and PM is great about replacement castings,  don't ask  :facepalm: :Doh:. Happy New Year Professor  :cheers:.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2015, 10:37:57 PM »
True enough Cletus but this one ain't from PMR :)

Prof.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2015, 11:21:09 PM »
Very interesting Zee, corrected the typo now.

Wish you hadn't.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2015, 11:23:44 PM »
Hello Bill,
Tough break on the cylinder collar.  Sent you a PM regarding a replacement for you.  Don't feel bad.  I went through 3 of the original CI castings when machining the prototype -- one of which I snapped when locating it on a centering fixture.

Also, I just got a call from a builder in Iowa.  He found a discrepancy between the collars PW-6 & 7 and the pushrod guides PW-29 & 30.  He straightened his out, but I still need to revise the drawing for the guides so everything lines up.  I'll be fixing the error on Sheet E19.

I've also notice a few labeling issues on the exploded view and will be taking care of that as well.

Happy New Year,
Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2015, 11:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Todd, I'll take a look at the drawings. Looking at Sheet E19, it looks like the hole spacing is off as far as mating with the holes in the collar ...is that the issue? In any case I am not working on PW29 & 30 yet so not an issue for me yet. I am assuming the dimensions for both collars remain the same though.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal