Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 136699 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 09:28:41 PM »
Lastly, the Jet was machined from a short piece of 3/16 hex brass, because that is what I had on hand. Photo 1 shows turning the diameters while leaving a shoulder on the end that will be threaded 5-40. Photo 2 shows it after threading the short end and using the compound attachment to turn a taper on the end.  Somewhere in here a 1/16" hole was drilled through the length of the Jet. After parting it off there wasn't much to chuck on to taper the opposite end so I drilled and tapped a 5-40 hole in the remaining length of brass hex (photo 3). Photo 4 shows the Jet threaded into this makeshift adapter and the turning of the taper on that end. Photo 5 shows the finished Jet (kind of small too) and the last photo shows it threaded into the mixer body.

Thanks it for now, thanks for looking.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2015, 10:13:50 PM »
Bill your really getting into this engine aren't you? Looks like you doing a bunch of the fiddley bit first. Keep it coming buddy..........

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
I'll do what I can Don, still have the Vickie to finish too though and haven't forgotten her. Also making a dollhouse for the granddaughter for Christmas so what shop time there is has to get spread around. These fiddly bits are great for the Sherlines though and there are plenty more fiddly bits to go. This really isn't that large of an engine, though I will still have to do the base and flywheels at work on the larger machines. Thanks so much for the support. I'll try to keep it interesting.

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 06:52:37 AM »
Very nice work Bill, as usual!

I keep watching for the next installments of Vickie too.  You've got a lot of projects going right now. Hope you get the most important one done in time for Christmas! :)

Kim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »
I am following along too.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »
Thanks Kim and Achim!  I had a PM from Todd at Littleloco's last night noting that the bore in the mixer jet should have been .047" rather than the .063" I said in my past post. This was my error in looking at the old drawing set rather then the new updated set where the change was shown in the newer drawing. I made a new mixer jet this morning with the correct bore and will be working just from the new drawings from now on.

After that little correction, I began working on the needle valve and the speed adjustment screw, both of which are threaded 1-72. Rather than making them from solid 1/4" dia drill rod, I turned down and knurled a length of 1/4" drill rod to the .219" diameter called for and parted off 5 pieces ( a few extra since the shop gremlins already grabbed one ) after drilling and reaming a 1/8" hole thru for later attachment of the actual screw part. See photos 1 & 2.

With that done, I used 1/8" drill rod for the screw threads. After turning a .094" shoulder, and turning the remaining length to .073" for the 1-72 threads, the threads were cut using the tailstock die holder and the result parted off leaving enough of the 1/8" raw diameter to extend through the knurled heads (photo 3).  The same procedure was used for the needle valve after turning the sharp point on the end using the compound set to a 17 degree included angle (photo 4). The knurled heads were loctited to the 1/8" drill rod and once set, the excess was ground off, sanded flush and polished as shown in photos 5 & 6. The final picture shows the needle valve inserted into the mixer body opposite the jet and the speed adjustment screw.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »
Professor,  ain't it something what a couple of days off and some good sweet potato casserole will do  8). The parts and pieces are looking great and seem well suited for the Sherline.  On my last two builds I made each part per the drawing,  stockpiled,  and then assembled much like a mechanic's kit.  If there are no drawing errors to contend with, I think it makes you work harder at getting that "perfect part.  Tell everybody hey and I'm a watching from down at the diner  :popcorn: :DrinkPint:.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 09:31:54 PM »
Cletus, you about to recover from the holiday cooking yet?? Thanks for looking in.  Between yesterday and today I got a couple more parts finished up...the governor support and the governor rocker, both little brass pieces.

The support is pretty simple so I didn't really take any pictures of that other than photo 1.

The rocker is a bit more tedious and requires several different set-ups. I first milled a piece of .250"x .500" brass to length (photo 2), then located and drill the 3 required holes (photo 3). Then I began milling away the excess areas as shown in photos 4 & 5, resulting in the rough shaped piece shown in photo 6. With that done the 22 degree slope needed to be milled down the centerline and this required using the angle plate along with the Sherline vise as shown in photos 7 & 8. With suitably sized pins as a pivot, I milled the radii on both ends (sorry no photo of that) and then also milled out the relief in the larger end the same width as the sloped section.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 09:33:27 PM »
These last two pictures show the nearly finished parts. A little more polishing and they will be good to go.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »
Boy those are some small fiddley bits Bill. Is the vise on your angle plate a swivel vise? I bought a sherline vise for mine last month and I will kick myself if that's a swivel vise.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
Don, yes the vise is mounted on a swivel base. You should be able to buy it separately from Sherline. I'll take a couple of pics for you, the vise just slides into it and is held down by four screws.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engin
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »
Thanks Bill I thought the vise was a swivel vise as well. But it's like mine then just bolts to a swivel plate.
Ye

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 10:12:10 PM »
Don, here you go...the vise is just a close slide fit into the base and you can see the 4 screws with washers that mate with the hold down groove in the vise itself. The other two screws are for loosening and tightening the swivel feature. Hope that helps. This is the vise  and base that came with my equipment about 18 years ago. It has held up well but I do wish they would make a similar vise out of steel. You can also see the witness mark for setting the angle. Keep in mind though that the spacing of the hold down screws on the four corners of the swivel base are spaced to fit the Sherline tee slots, so using in on another mill table would require some adaptations.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
Thanks Bill I just ordered a swivel base for mine. It was $105 so that wasn't to bad. Now I could of got the lot cheaper had I know they sold together, oh well.

Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
Professor,  thanks for asking, but to be honest,  not really.  From Monday thru Saturday I'd been there almost 68 hours  and we were closed Thursday.  Christmas parties start Friday  :facepalm:. Man I really like the angle plate . You seem to be adding parts to the "finished" pile at a good clip. I'll see you on the radio  :cheers:.

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal