Engines > From Kits/Castings

Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine

(1/150) > >>

b.lindsey:
A bit of history on this thread first. At this year's Cabin Fever Todd and Joy Snouffer were offering their plans and castings for both the vertical and horizontal versions of the Parsell & Weed hit and miss IC engines. The plans looked very well done so I (and I think Stan also) bought a set with the intention of making it from bar stock rather than castings which I still think can be done. Anyway, about a month or six weeks ago I had an email from Todd indicating that he was making some changes to the drawings (reducing compression and a few other things) and once done would ship out a new set of the drawings to those that had purchased them already. Last Friday, I had another email from Todd saying that the new plans were ready and would ship out this week at no charge....but to those that had purchased them before he would offer a $50.00 discount on the casting sets as well. Well not being one to pass up a bargain...and not wanting Jo to get more than 100 casting sets ahead of me, a few email back and forth between me and Todd and I had a set of the horizontal castings headed towards NC, including the updated plans. Let me add here that Todd is a member of the forum under the name "littlelocos" and also add that the plan set covers both the horizontal and vertical versions of this interesting engine.

The castings arrived today in pristeen condition and very well packed and though I have no affiliation with littlelocos.com this level of customer service and care for details I just had to share. Below are some pictures of the shipment. Picture 1 is of the priority shipping box as it was opened, the plans in the back, casting in the front. Picture 2 is of some of the smaller castings (all bronze), the gear stock, and a couple of pieces of bronze bar stock all neatly packed in a plastic box and cushioned with foam peanuts. Photo 3 is of the two flywheel castings. Photo 4 shows the larger castings, a few more pieces of bar stock and the large base casting. Cletus you will appreciate the fact that the kit includes the CD of construction photos at no additional charge. Photo 5 shows the base casting alone, and the last photo a plastic tube containing a length of small music wire for one of the springs.

More information and pictures of these engines can be seen at www.littlelocos.com

In an age where we are often quick to point out poor customer service, inferior products, and inaccurate drawings...it nice to see a supplier to the hobby doing things RIGHT!!  Many thanks Todd and I am looking forward to starting on this one as soon as I finish the Vickie, if not before. Some of the smaller parts will be ideal for even the Sherline equipment. The Lil Brother casting set, equally inspiring, may be moved behind the Parsell & Weed in the build order as this one really intrigues me and seems to be a straightforward build. I will post updates as appropriate, but am one happy camper to add this set to the casting collection.

Bill

Dave Otto:
Those are some nice looking castings Bill.

This engine is smaller than the original; maybe 1/2 size?

I picked up an original hard bound book on the Parsell & Weed a number of years ago a Powell's book store in Portland OR. Fun to flip through the pages but I was never sure if I would build one or not.

Looking forward to seeing this one under construction on MEM.

Dave

b.lindsey:
Dave, it is a 1/3 scale model. There is more information on the website shown above. I am excited about this one too!

Bill

Don1966:
Thanks Bill for the link.  I think Santa my be bringing me one also. So we will see next month.

Don

Jasonb:
They do indeed look nice castiongs, I'll be following along as I know someone with the larger casting set who I have built engines for in the past. I also have a copy of the book which I think can be found online.

J

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version