Author Topic: a stand to far  (Read 2098 times)

Offline krv3000

a stand to far
« on: October 31, 2015, 09:33:41 PM »
hi all well this weeks challenge to sort out a D.T.I stand I got mick to order me a new magnetic D.T.I stand and clock well it arrived but no clock shod have red the ad more carful as the clock was not in clouded :bang: any way the magnetic base in a word is crap I had to take it to work and grind it sqher no pics of that bit but i had a eclipse magnetic base but the shaft was bent me first thort  was to unscrew the bent shaft and screw the new flexi shaft on to the eclipse that was a dead duck as one thread was millimetre the other inch  :palm: then I remembered I had a flexi shaft that went in to a collet in a mill for clocking in bran wave cut the bottom 50mm hi of bent shaft off the eclipse then drill the bottom bit 7.8 then ream 8mm then split it in two you will get the jist in the pic ad a clamp two tools in one it can be still used in the mill or as a stand a lone right pics sos sum are a bit fussy o the first pics are of the crap one of the bay

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: a stand to far
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:41:19 PM »
So as I understand it krv...in the last pic the magnetic base is one you already had, the clamp assembly is one you already had, just refitted to the eclipse base. So what if any part of the new stand are you going to be able to use? The ebay one looks good in the pic, but as you found out pictures can be deceiving. Bummer on the whole deal !!

Bill

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »
well I have bind the original base that I got of the bay and I got a second eclipse base of a friend and made the new flex shaft to fit that no pics of the making but will put up a pic of it dun yep as you sed the pic of the new one looked brill but once in the hand it was not that good I shod of sent it back but chances are that it wood of cost me more

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:26:19 PM »
hi this is the last bit I got a nuther base so I made a thread adapter the thread on the flexi shaft is 5mm s I got a m8 grub screw drilled and taped it m5 then taped the hole on the new base m8 I screwed the m8 grub screw on to the flexi shaft with sum Bering fit  then put the two together right pics the last pics is of the base of the bay  notice the hand filing not dun by me  and the un uniform shape of the bottom and the chunk missing right pics     

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 01:11:43 AM »
Looks like whoever did that filing/grinding on the flea-bay part did so in the dark...with one hand tied behind their back as well.  Looks like you have salvaged about as much as you can though. Nice work!

Bill

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
lol that's the best I cud get the base it was much worse than that before I flash't  it over at work 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal