Author Topic: Harbor Freight Finds  (Read 2262 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Harbor Freight Finds
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
The Home Shop Machinist magazine was in the mailbox yesterday and while looking through it last night I found some coupons in Harbor Freight's ad.  One was for 20% of  any one item and second one was for a micro air die grinder normally 24.99 for 9.99  So with coupons in hand I lit out for the local store this morning to check it out. For $9.99 I couldn't leave that last remaining die grinder on the shelf. Also found a miniature bench grinder with a 3 inch wheel capacity and it came with one 80 grit wheel and one buffing wheel, which i took off and replaced with another 3" Norton wheel I already had. Used the 20% coupon on that which brought the cost down to $23.99. Both worked out of the box once I got home. Finally given Bogs recent post on needle nose plier modificationis, I picked up a cheap pair of those and did the modification this afternoon.  A few pictures follow...

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:46:25 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Davyboy

• Merrill, Wisconsin, USA
Re: Harbor Freight Finds
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 03:46:56 AM »
Bill, I've got that same die grinder, it works pretty fine.  But man does that thing suck the wind out my compressor tank!  Unbelievable how quick the motor starts.  But surely you picked up some carbide burrs and diamonds too?  If you wait for the sale flyers, they come pretty cheaply too.

Davyboy

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Harbor Freight Finds
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »
Davyboy, I didn't get any on this trip but will keep an eye out for some. I tested it out as noted on my little 1.5 gallon compressor and iti does eat the air as you say. More likely I will take it to work where the compressor that serves the entire building won't even notice it :) I used the mini-bench grinder today already a few times to sharpen the insert for my diamond toolholder, and the cut off blade for the A2Z quick change holder on the Sherline. It worked great and that is the basic reason I bought it. Sharp tools make a huge difference.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal