Author Topic: Hartnell Governor  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
Hartnell Governor
« on: October 28, 2015, 05:35:15 PM »
Hi,

I'm making the Hartnell governor for a Corless Vale Engine, can anyone tell me how the bracket (Part No 241) which goes on top
of the column (Part No 239) is fixed. I assume it is just fixed with Loctite.

Les

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Hartnell Governor
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 05:58:40 PM »
Hello again Les good to see you found your way here.

My set of drawings have a note next to the bracket "Fix to top of item 239 using Loctite" so looks like you are on teh right track.

J

PS I'm sure the members would like to see a few photos of progress on your engine.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
I was going to use 601 on mine.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »
Thanks Jason & Jo

I will try to get some photos in the next few days, trouble is she's all covered up with blankets in my cold workshop, although
I have recently insulated the workshop which has made a big difference!

Jo, the pictures of your governor were a great help sorting out the flats on the sleeve!

Les

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
Jo,

You mention in one of your threads in Model Engineer Workshop about "Also do you have the picture of the valve gear and the correction to the governor".
I have emailed Bob Potter about any corrections he is aware of, but he hasn't got back to me yet.

Would you be kind enough to let me know what specifically you were referring to.

Les

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »
 :headscratch: I have nothing to do with MEW and have never had or intend on having anything published in it .

The governor cover (238) spigot is too short it shows 7/16" in the drawing Peter told me it should be longer, I can not find his note about it but I have scribbled 18.2mm on my drawing. The governor body casting is too short so needs a packer and when you reduce the rear bolting flange to its correct position it is much too thin  :facepalm:

You can find the details about setting the Corliss valves to work in the correct order in ME on P259, 3rd March 1978: The governor is only on the HP cylinder, the LP follows the HP and the load across the cylinders are balanced by adjusting the LP cut off. I hope that is as clear as mud  ;).

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:47:27 PM »
Sorry Jo, goodness knows what I was reading!

Thanks for the info, I was taking ME back in the 70's, so should have that article.

How on earth do you remember all this stuff?!

Les

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 07:37:16 AM »
Les & Jo what date are your drawings?

As well as having the notes about the Loctite my 1982 vintage set have the governor spigot at 17/32". There is a light hint from teh scratched out original that this was at some time drawn about 1/8" longer so closer to Jo's 18,, but subsequently shortened.

J

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 07:50:31 AM »

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
Hi Jason,

Thanks for clearing that up.

There is no date on my drawings and as I inherited them with the model about 30% completed, I can only guess at 15 years old or more.

My drawing shows similar to Jo's at 7/16" but minus 3/32" for the flange, so 11/32" and there is certainly no mention of Loctite!

Attached are some not very good pictures.

I'm hoping that I can disguise the horrible plastic base with some tiling and a nice wood surround, also there is a lot of chatter marks
on the flywheel, if I can't get rid of those it looks like a new one!

Les
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:23:22 AM by Les#053 »

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »
Hi Les

Looks like you are well on with the engine.

Is your flywheel 11" diameter with a bore of 1" ? If so I know where there is a spare one finished machined.
The only difference is that the barring teeth are internal for a barring engine.

Phil

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »
Hi Phil,

Just been out and measured my flywheel and it's 9:11/16" x 31/32" bore, nice thought while it lasted though.

I'm just hoping if I turn up a stub mandrel it will run true to the bore, it looks to be good on the crankshaft, I might put a DTI on it tomorrow.

Your Agnes looks fantastic, in our lighter moments it gives us something to aspire to!

Thanks very much for the thought anyway.

Les

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal