Author Topic: Servo drill new base  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Servo drill new base
« on: September 30, 2015, 04:18:39 PM »
I bought a new Servo drill a few years back and I really like it for small holes which is what I mostly drill. I was checking the used prices on ebay which I do from time to time and spotted a 3 axis base that is no longer made with no drill head. It arrived yesterday and it is a small beast. It is a very robust cast iron base with large dials. The same column I had with the drill worked for the new base.

My plan is to make a mount for my Sherline head so I can use it for milling also.

Here is the link for the machine on UK.lathes:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/servo/

The new drill heads do not have the light which is no big deal, but I have a two step pully and the variable speed control

One happy camper.....
Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Servo drill new base
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »
Wow!! What does that base weigh Dan? Talk about robust!!!  Love the precision of the dials as well...really nice find on ebay.

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »
Sweet Dan!   Do the dials have verniers on them?

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:01:40 PM »
Bill, The gent I bought it from said it weigh 110 pounds and I can believe that it was all I could to to get it on the bench and I am now thinking I need a stouter bench especially if I am using it to mill with the Sherline head.

Dave, you made me look and no vernier but the distance between the 0.001" lines is nearly 1/8" so I can work to 0.0005" with reasonable accuracy.

Not that it really needs it but I am stripping it down to check and clean and I am really impressed with the construction. I will post some photos of the parts soon.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 01:32:29 AM »
The ultimate mini mill; nice!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:05:52 AM »
Oh that is sweeeeet, does the dial gauge for the Drill axis feed give you the precision depth? I see it,s built into the unit.

Don
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:10:45 AM by Don1966 »

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:50:26 PM »
Here is the base partly disassembled. The gibs are about 3/16" thick with nice pockets milled for the adjustment screws and the lock. The x and y axis have cast in oil passage ways, for some unknown reason the z axis does not have any oilers. The screw nuts are generous in size but no backlash provision was fitted. The base has tapped holes for bolting it to a bench.

The Servo drill head has a dial indicator that reads 0.001" and there is a dial that indicates .1" to keep track of that digit. The small dial in the front is the depth stop and it has a resettable 0.001" dial and can be set to stop the quill anywhere along the 1.5" quill travel. This makes blind holes an easy task.

I just thought of a problem.... the chuck only goes to 1/8" and I can not find an edge finder that small. The only way I can think to find an edge is with rolling papers or a feeler gauge with a known diameter pin in the chuck. Anyone have any better ideas on how to find an edge with only 1/8" chuck capacity?

Dan

ShaylocoDan

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »
I just thought of a problem.... the chuck only goes to 1/8" and I can not find an edge finder that small. The only way I can think to find an edge is with rolling papers or a feeler gauge with a known diameter pin in the chuck. Anyone have any better ideas on how to find an edge with only 1/8" chuck capacity?

Mount a tiny ball-bearing on the end of a 1/8" shaft.  Not as accurate as a conventional edge-finder but, depending on the precision required,  perhaps good enough.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal