Author Topic: Worn tailstock taper  (Read 2376 times)

Offline RayW

Worn tailstock taper
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
Finally got round today to sorting out the worn taper on the tailstock of my 1943 Churchill Redman Cub lathe. For some time now, I have had problems with slipping chucks, boring heads, etc, even when tapping them home with a soft faced mallet in attempt to seat them securely. The taper was pretty heavily scored and it was clear that drastic measures were called for, so I invested in a No.2 morse taper reamer from Rotagrip Ltd for the princely sum of £21.44.
First step was to remove the tailstock and mount it in the headstock chuck so that I could face off the end by about .125".
I then replaced the tailstock and mounted a running centre in the headstock chuck to support the end of the reamer and keep it true as shown in the attached photos. By using the tailstock handle to gradually advance the tailstock until the reamer just seated, I was then able to start taking light cuts by hand turning the reamer. At first, little appeared to be happening as the reamer started removing small burrs and other irregularities, but as I gradually advance the tailstock a few thou at at time, metal dust appeared along more and more of the cutting edges. I finished off with a very light cut and cutting oil.
Whilst the finish is not absolutely perfect, the transformation is quite remarkable, with quite light hand pressure being sufficient to engage tools firmly without any slipping.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:52:46 PM by RayW »
Ray

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
Re: Worn tailstock taper
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
Nice save there.

Offline RayW

Re: Worn tailstock taper
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 07:53:59 PM »
Thanks. As the lathe is 3 years older than me and in better shape than me, I think that we both deserve some looking after!! :)
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal