Author Topic: Quick-step  (Read 16943 times)

Offline ega

Re: Quick-step
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 09:16:02 PM »
Bjorn_P:

Hats off to you for undertaking what I believe to be an ambitious build!

I have had one of the original John Payne QSMs for some years and have found it very useful. One improvement would be a spindle lock to simplify operating the chuck.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:09:44 PM »
Some work done today, the spindle body is allmost done (a few holes still do be drilled/tapped) and the spindle had its last milling ops done. Will be thinking about that spindle lock, but for now I followed the plan (two spanners)

Time to get started on gearbox innards now, but first I hade to make a new arbor for the mod1 gearcutters they are 22mm  :insane: and I had a 16mm one I made before. Only the keyway to be done in the sleeve,but I have to make a new 6mm or "1/4 cutting tool to fit the ram of the keyway cutter.. it was  at that  moment I ran out of steam for today ..  :wallbang:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:19:02 PM by Bjorn_P »

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
Making a tool for the tool to make the tool...

Guess we all been there.. Making a new arbor for 22mm gearcutters, for this I have to make a slot in a sleeve to clear the key. The key is 6mm and I did not have a cutting tool for that to fit the slotting attachment.

Anyway, this small but important step was made today, quick step? Not really..

Photos from cross drilling the tool to fit the slotting ram, then my phone battery died.

I'm now kitted up for both 22 and 16 mm gearcutters, will start on the gearbox thingys next. A quite interesting 3-speed setup (direct drive and two backgear ratios with a mix of module 0,8 and 1,0 gears).

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »
A few pictures of the keyway slotting attachment in use

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 08:36:09 PM »
Started on gear blanks today!

Boring for a 8mm shaft. Theese small carbide boring tools are really good for small jobs (bought at ARC)

Offline ega

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »
Bjorn_P:

Looking good!

Further to my mention of the spindle lock, I recall being told that later spindles were drilled deeper than original so as to accommodate longer tools.

When installing or removing tooling it is recommended to put the gear in neutral, presumably to avoid overloading the gears, a point that I have sometimes forgotten!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
Bjorn_P:

Looking good!

Further to my mention of the spindle lock, I recall being told that later spindles were drilled deeper than original so as to accommodate longer tools.

When installing or removing tooling it is recommended to put the gear in neutral, presumably to avoid overloading the gears, a point that I have sometimes forgotten!

Thanks for comments, there is not much room for a deeper tool cavity in the spindle, at least not in the same diameter if you look at my cross section view. Perhaps a 8 or 10 mm hole could be drilled further.

It seems from gear spacing that there will be a neutral position, have wondered about that, thanks!
I havea couple more gear blanks to make and mounting arbors for the dividing head, perhaps this week or the weekend..

Been thinking a bit about gears versus shafts... Axle shafts are 8mm (I have some nice ground stock for that) and the gears need to be securely fastended to this. Loctite or taper pins? What is your opinion? The gears that need to be secured all have a short section of 1/2 inch diameter "hub" that could be drilled/taper reamed.

Regards
Björn

Offline ega

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »
Bjorn_P:

My information about the drilling of the spindle came from Kirk Burwell at Hemingway Kits.

Fastening gears to shafts: it's flattering to be asked about this -  I am not a professional engineer - and my first thought would be to check the original design which I think was covered in Model Engineers Workshop magazine some years ago. I will see if I can find the relevant issue. My Willson slantbed lathe makes considerable use of taper pins in the gearbox and elsewhere and they are certainly effective. An 8mm shaft would need a pretty small pin, however. My recumbent tricycle is held together with Loctite but I will admit to putting some "safety pins" in as well - belt and braces!

Offline ega

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Bjorn_P:

I have sent you a PM.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Something done today!

One of my favourite pastimes seems to be gearcutting, I don't know why, but it's allways exciting to see if the dividing was succesful.

Anyways, cut two of the gears, used the shafts as mandrels so this has to be done in steps (smallest gears first) as gearblanks are added on the shaft. They are loctited for now but will eventually be crossdrilled for springpins according to the original instruction article.

Allso started on the sliding gear. This will sit on the spindle and drive it from the backgears via a key. The groove is for the gear selector pin, I dreaded this operation. From 45mm dia down to 24mm 4,14mm wide in EN16t. All external turning was done on a mandrel that will allso be used on the mill for gearcutter, there is not yet a keyway in the gearblank so it is just held by friction from the clamp bolt 6mm socket, center drilled for a live center after nipping up.

Pictures from gearcutting setup, small gears on shafts and sliding gear turning

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »
One forward, at least two back.. Bugger, double bugger!

Made good progress on the sliding gear today so I decided to cut the teeth of the larger integral gear allso. 48t, great, the dividing head was already set for the correct circle, only the fingers to set and away we go, arbor and gearcutter already set. Great!

Only that after cutting all the teeth, all flipping 48 of them I rememered that something was amiss.. Hm, did I not cut a 16t gear yesterday, with the same cutter? So there you are, tooth profiles way of.. need to make another now, consider this a practice run....

Online vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
I feel for you.

Vince

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »
Not to worry Vince, take two started today.

I forgot that I had a complet set of adjustable reamers, must find some use for them sometimes. So I reamed the bore of the new gear blank for a good sliding fit on spindle. Will do the lathe ops on the same arbor as I did last time as that worked nice. Allready put the correct # involute cutter on the milling arbor, hoping for no mishaps this time.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »
Sliding gear allmost done, keyway and holes for direct drive pins to be done.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Quick-ste
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
I hope that top gear is the one you made a mistake on Bjorn. The teeth tips are quiet small compared to the inside diameter. It may just be a photo illusion. You have been doing some very nice work and I have been following quietly.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal