Author Topic: Quick-step  (Read 16942 times)

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
Quick-step
« on: October 26, 2015, 09:50:58 AM »
No, I'm not refering to the shuffling of feet to and from at the dance hall, but rather the milling attachment designed by John Payne. This has in the past been avaliable from hemmingway in bouh a kit form and as a complete machine as I understand it. At quite a cost to be fair..

However, I have dug out the issues of mew where it was serialised as a construction article and I am now thinking of building one. Currendly I am at the stage of proofing the drawings in cad (allways a worthwile process) and I have allso sourced a piece of aluminium rectangular box tubing allbeit in metric dimensions for the gearbox housing (could not find 2 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 3/16 anywhere.

Any input on this is most welcome

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Quick-step
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
I've always been interested in that piece.    I'll be following along.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
Thanks Dave!

I will plug along bit by bit, allthough not much will happen for a few weeks

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:34:56 PM »
My Friend KWIL has made one of those, couple of photos in his album on ME Forum, there is quite probably a thread on teh forum too. He almost lost it when it was given to someone who was meant to be collecting one of my engines as another person mixed up the boxes >:(

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=10743&p=224797

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »
My Friend KWIL has made one of those, couple of photos in his album on ME Forum, there is quite probably a thread on teh forum too

Thanks a lot Jason!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
Aluminium box section for the gearcase arrived from germany today! it's a bit higher at 100x60mm in dimension then the original design, maybe I will cut it down and put a lid on top instead.

The gears will be metrificated as gear cuttters in DP 32 are quite rare and will find little use after this. Will keep the same gear ratios with Mod 1,0 and Mod 0,8 gears instead (20/60 32/32 and 16/48). Centre distance between shafts ends up at the even number of 32 mm instead of 31,75.

Ordered a set of ER 20 collets and gear cutters today.

Hm.. Maybe I should have built that Eureka backing of device..

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
Not much have happened so far, getting married got in the way somehow.. :headscratch:

Been busy tidying up the drawings from the old MEW Magazines in turbocad, it is allmost done now.

Gearcutters (Mod 0,8 and Mod 1,0) , ER-collets and other bits and pieces are slowly accumulating so I should be get started soon.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 06:40:06 PM »
Congratulations on getting married. :cheers:

Which issues of MEW are you talking about maybe I have them and can follow and understand what you are doing.

Vince

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
Thankyou!

Issues september and october 1998

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
Wohoo, something done!

Made the lathe ops on the spindle today, have made a small revision in the bearing setup for this. There will be two bearings at the front with a slight reduction in overhang as a bonus instead of the single bearing and a separate oil seal on the front end. Spindle takes ER20 collets and is made from EN16t, hence the coolant setup..

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »
Just some milling work left on this (a keyway for the sliding gear and slots for the collet wrench)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 10:59:55 PM »
For those who have never seen this, here's a link to the complete Hemingway page
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/The_Quick_Step_Mill__.html
Best,
Stan

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
Made the spindle body today, most of it anyway.. (Some milling ops to do)

No pictures today as my phone battery died.

Reflection: quite difficult to set up a rectangular piece in the four-yaw at center, twice... Lots of combined efforts with a test indicator, square, soft mallet, twin chuck keys and digital readout. Then it all has to be redone again for the bearings on the other end...

Will post a pic or two tomorrow.

Regards

Björm

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 06:10:37 PM »
Why use gears when VFD/3phase motors exist?

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 06:58:43 PM »
Why use gears when VFD/3phase motors exist?

not decided on motor options yet, but I do want torque, lots of it!

Might be a smallish brushless setup for the motor (have a 900W/24V dc source in the workshop, more than needed). I still need tourqe from a smallish setup, most suitable d/c motors have a rather high KV

Offline ega

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 09:16:02 PM »
Bjorn_P:

Hats off to you for undertaking what I believe to be an ambitious build!

I have had one of the original John Payne QSMs for some years and have found it very useful. One improvement would be a spindle lock to simplify operating the chuck.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:09:44 PM »
Some work done today, the spindle body is allmost done (a few holes still do be drilled/tapped) and the spindle had its last milling ops done. Will be thinking about that spindle lock, but for now I followed the plan (two spanners)

Time to get started on gearbox innards now, but first I hade to make a new arbor for the mod1 gearcutters they are 22mm  :insane: and I had a 16mm one I made before. Only the keyway to be done in the sleeve,but I have to make a new 6mm or "1/4 cutting tool to fit the ram of the keyway cutter.. it was  at that  moment I ran out of steam for today ..  :wallbang:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:19:02 PM by Bjorn_P »

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
Making a tool for the tool to make the tool...

Guess we all been there.. Making a new arbor for 22mm gearcutters, for this I have to make a slot in a sleeve to clear the key. The key is 6mm and I did not have a cutting tool for that to fit the slotting attachment.

Anyway, this small but important step was made today, quick step? Not really..

Photos from cross drilling the tool to fit the slotting ram, then my phone battery died.

I'm now kitted up for both 22 and 16 mm gearcutters, will start on the gearbox thingys next. A quite interesting 3-speed setup (direct drive and two backgear ratios with a mix of module 0,8 and 1,0 gears).

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »
A few pictures of the keyway slotting attachment in use

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 08:36:09 PM »
Started on gear blanks today!

Boring for a 8mm shaft. Theese small carbide boring tools are really good for small jobs (bought at ARC)

Offline ega

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »
Bjorn_P:

Looking good!

Further to my mention of the spindle lock, I recall being told that later spindles were drilled deeper than original so as to accommodate longer tools.

When installing or removing tooling it is recommended to put the gear in neutral, presumably to avoid overloading the gears, a point that I have sometimes forgotten!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
Bjorn_P:

Looking good!

Further to my mention of the spindle lock, I recall being told that later spindles were drilled deeper than original so as to accommodate longer tools.

When installing or removing tooling it is recommended to put the gear in neutral, presumably to avoid overloading the gears, a point that I have sometimes forgotten!

Thanks for comments, there is not much room for a deeper tool cavity in the spindle, at least not in the same diameter if you look at my cross section view. Perhaps a 8 or 10 mm hole could be drilled further.

It seems from gear spacing that there will be a neutral position, have wondered about that, thanks!
I havea couple more gear blanks to make and mounting arbors for the dividing head, perhaps this week or the weekend..

Been thinking a bit about gears versus shafts... Axle shafts are 8mm (I have some nice ground stock for that) and the gears need to be securely fastended to this. Loctite or taper pins? What is your opinion? The gears that need to be secured all have a short section of 1/2 inch diameter "hub" that could be drilled/taper reamed.

Regards
Björn

Offline ega

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »
Bjorn_P:

My information about the drilling of the spindle came from Kirk Burwell at Hemingway Kits.

Fastening gears to shafts: it's flattering to be asked about this -  I am not a professional engineer - and my first thought would be to check the original design which I think was covered in Model Engineers Workshop magazine some years ago. I will see if I can find the relevant issue. My Willson slantbed lathe makes considerable use of taper pins in the gearbox and elsewhere and they are certainly effective. An 8mm shaft would need a pretty small pin, however. My recumbent tricycle is held together with Loctite but I will admit to putting some "safety pins" in as well - belt and braces!

Offline ega

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Bjorn_P:

I have sent you a PM.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Something done today!

One of my favourite pastimes seems to be gearcutting, I don't know why, but it's allways exciting to see if the dividing was succesful.

Anyways, cut two of the gears, used the shafts as mandrels so this has to be done in steps (smallest gears first) as gearblanks are added on the shaft. They are loctited for now but will eventually be crossdrilled for springpins according to the original instruction article.

Allso started on the sliding gear. This will sit on the spindle and drive it from the backgears via a key. The groove is for the gear selector pin, I dreaded this operation. From 45mm dia down to 24mm 4,14mm wide in EN16t. All external turning was done on a mandrel that will allso be used on the mill for gearcutter, there is not yet a keyway in the gearblank so it is just held by friction from the clamp bolt 6mm socket, center drilled for a live center after nipping up.

Pictures from gearcutting setup, small gears on shafts and sliding gear turning

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »
One forward, at least two back.. Bugger, double bugger!

Made good progress on the sliding gear today so I decided to cut the teeth of the larger integral gear allso. 48t, great, the dividing head was already set for the correct circle, only the fingers to set and away we go, arbor and gearcutter already set. Great!

Only that after cutting all the teeth, all flipping 48 of them I rememered that something was amiss.. Hm, did I not cut a 16t gear yesterday, with the same cutter? So there you are, tooth profiles way of.. need to make another now, consider this a practice run....

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
I feel for you.

Vince

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »
Not to worry Vince, take two started today.

I forgot that I had a complet set of adjustable reamers, must find some use for them sometimes. So I reamed the bore of the new gear blank for a good sliding fit on spindle. Will do the lathe ops on the same arbor as I did last time as that worked nice. Allready put the correct # involute cutter on the milling arbor, hoping for no mishaps this time.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »
Sliding gear allmost done, keyway and holes for direct drive pins to be done.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Quick-ste
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
I hope that top gear is the one you made a mistake on Bjorn. The teeth tips are quiet small compared to the inside diameter. It may just be a photo illusion. You have been doing some very nice work and I have been following quietly.

Don

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 03:34:05 AM »
Bjorn,
When I started making gears I made some of the same mistakes that you have, ie, wrong cutter etc.  I'd say keep those gears because I've found that in some applications they will work just fine.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
Re: Quick-ste
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »
I hope that top gear is the one you made a mistake on Bjorn. The teeth tips are quiet small compared to the inside diameter. It may just be a photo illusion. You have been doing some very nice work and I have been following quietly.

Don

Hello Don! If you are refering to the smaller gear, i is cut with the correct infeed and correct #cutter, on a correct diameter blank. I had to double check that a couple of times as I allso believe the teeth are a bit thin. It is a 32t gear and it could be just the matter rhat this is very near the end of the range for that cutter (next cutter starts at 35t). It could allso be due to the well known chinese quality control. :headscratch:

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2015, 08:52:47 AM »
Bjorn,

I've noticed that my Chinese module cutters are numbered the other way round from the standard Brown & Sharpe system where #1 cuts 135  and above.  On my Chinese MOD cutters that's a #8....

Anyway, very nice work so far.  I'm a big fan of milling in the lathe even though I have a perfectly good milling machine.

Rod

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2015, 11:24:21 AM »
I've noticed that my Chinese module cutters are numbered the other way round from the standard Brown & Sharpe system where #1 cuts 135  and above.  On my Chinese MOD cutters that's a #8....

I'll stick my neck out and say I think that is true for all module gear cutters, not just the Chinese ones.

Andrew

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2015, 05:38:27 PM »

Don

Hello Don! If you are refering to the smaller gear, i is cut with the correct infeed and correct #cutter, on a correct diameter blank. I had to double check that a couple of times as I allso believe the teeth are a bit thin. It is a 32t gear and it could be just the matter rhat this is very near the end of the range for that cutter (next cutter starts at 35t). It could allso be due to the well known chinese quality control. :headscratch:
Hi Bjorn, it does look like something is wrong with the gear if it isn"t a photo illusion. I have attacted somes sheet for you. I did an Autocad drawing using the Button method and the difference from the inset and outside tooth is about .008" smaller. I attached my Button calculation sheet and a DWG and DXF drawing for you to see. I do hope I have the PA, and DP correct.

Regards Don

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2015, 08:19:25 PM »
Have you mixed up the 0.8 and 1.0 MOD cutters by any chance?

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 08:07:50 AM »
First, thanks for all your input, it is still a bit of a mystery why the 32t gear got a bit wonky

A shadowgraph of some sorts or a usb microscope wuld perhaps be useful here, a 26 to 34t cutter witch is what I used, in module 1 form with a 20 degree pa should accomodate gears that in theory have a aproximate gear flank radius from 4,45 to 5,81mm. I do not know in what end of the scale they make theese cutters but a guess is that they are formed for something in the middle of the range for each # of cutter yes?

EDIT: According to John Stevenson (http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/gear/gear1.html) , the cutters are correct only for the smallest gear in each range. This means that the reasoning below is allso a bit wrong, the cutter used should have a flank radius of about 4,45mm. This does to some degree explain pointy teeth as a 32t gear in theory should have a flank radius of 5,47mm.

If so, the cutter I used should have a flank radius of something like 5,13 mm if we ignore the involute form, it should at least be somewhere between 4,5 and 5,8mm. There are a lot of assumptions in the reasoning above, but I will try to measure up the cutter. I fear there is something amiss with it. Bugger!

I did not mix up cutters this time, the correct one was on the arbor, there is no wobble on the arbor either.

I guess I will use theese gears anyway, they can allways be replaced.

Regards!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:49:00 AM by Bjorn_P »

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2015, 01:09:18 PM »
Flank radius of the cutter used matches a 4,5mm radius gauge best of my set. (0,5mm increments)

Decided to ignore the "peaky teeth" for now.... :toilet_claw:

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 03:01:24 PM »
bit of a family photo with the spindle, sliding gear and input gear/drive disc.

Sliding gear decouples direct drive and has two backgear ratios. Drive pins to be turned and fitted to sliding gear

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »
Bjorn, can I ask where you acquired the plans for the Quick Step? Seems that Hemingway doesn't  have the plans on their web site. I am interest in this tool.

Don

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »
Bjorn, can I ask where you acquired the plans for the Quick Step? Seems that Hemingway doesn't  have the plans on their web site. I am interest in this tool.

Don

Hello Don, it was serialised in Model Engineers Workshop, issues september and october 1998.

Offline ega

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
Bjorn_P:

"I forgot that I had a complet set of adjustable reamers, must find some use for them sometimes."

I have heard of them being used as expanding mandrels to hold work between centres but I have never tried this. I used one to get me out of trouble the other day but always feel more comfortable with a normal helical reamer.

Good luck with the gearcutting!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 04:49:54 PM »

Don

Hello Don, it was serialised in Model Engineers Workshop, issues september and october 1998.
Thanks Bjorn, by the way I did a no. 1 module in my spreadsheet and the tooth radius was 5.47mm same as Stevenson.

Don

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
Bjorn_P:

"I forgot that I had a complet set of adjustable reamers, must find some use for them sometimes."

I have heard of them being used as expanding mandrels to hold work between centres but I have never tried this. I used one to get me out of trouble the other day but always feel more comfortable with a normal helical reamer.

Good luck with the gearcutting!

That is a use I never thought of, I have to look into that!

I prefer fixed reverse helix machine reamers allso, I guess that is why I never bother to get the box out...

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2015, 12:48:02 PM »
Small step forward today, marked out, drilled and bored the gearbox front end plate. some holes still to be countersunk. Bored holes are for rearmost spindle bearing and countershaft bushing.

Cheers!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »
Made the drawstuds that hold the gearcase together today and measured up the axial spacing of gears on the layshaft. The last gear to be cut is a 60t to mesh with the small cog on the input shaft. Only the gear selector knob, crankshaft and bushing to do after that and the gearbox part is complete.

Started to look into the vertical slide pieces, but only found hot rolled flat stock that is a fair bit oversize in my bin. It will be horrible to machine down to size so I'll order some flat bar of correct dimension instead.

Regards!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
Gearbox innards done. Direct drive, intermediate gear and low speed selected.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 10:11:51 PM »
Looking good Bjorn, have you tried turning it with a drill or motor to see how much noise the gears generate? I guess with the cover over them would quiet them down some. I wonder if brass gears would be better. Just talking out loud here.

Don

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »
Need to get back on this soon, was interesting to see that in the latest issue of MEW, a quick step was put in use in a construction article by Henry Hicks.

Still on search for some suitable wave form preload washers for the spindle bearings, tried to purchase via associated spring (UK) but freight cost was eye watering..  Ebay china next I guess...  :wallbang:

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 07:45:47 PM »
Having played a bit with the Potts, I made this small gadget for the tiny stuff, works ok for sizes of about 2mm and down. Idea from Harrold Hall in his book on grinding
20160206_140322 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

The potts grinding jig finished, very easy to use and it gives an excellent result.
20160131_162447 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

With my drills sorted it is time to get back to the Quick-step. I started on the vertical slide bits today.

Milling the side-plates to size
20160207_143537 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

The top plate will be bolted and doweled to the side plates after some scraping

20160207_174806 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Copper pads for the slide lock screws
20160207_174846 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

There is a feed nut and ohter bits and pieces to be done on this part..

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 09:22:35 PM »
Drilled and tapped the top and bottom plates to the side plates today

20160208_201330 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

20160208_210424 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Will substitute the socket screws for countersunks on the bottom plate after doweling, there is concern for a clearance issue here.
20160208_212730 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

That is all for tonight, thanks!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
Feed nut, or funny setups evening...

The vertical slide feed nut starts as so many other things with a good size of material, divided into (mostly) swarf and with a bit of luck a small but useful piece. in this instance a piece of 1 1/4" bms

20160209_183139 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Time for silly setup number one, there is a 30 degree angle on the face for graduations, perhaps 20 marks? (M8x 1,0 pitch feed screw)
20160209_185641 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

After this, turn round and set in a collet for drilling and machining a step that fits the top plate. Turned it around to lessen the chance of concentrical errors regarding the feedscrew and the face I'm doing here, made for a silly setup again, never liked left handed lathe tools...
20160209_192234 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Threading M8x1
20160209_193243 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Finished article less graduations, there is a turning  knob to be done and the feedscrew that will have to be treadcut on the lathe (no die in my box)
20160209_194011 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Time for a sauna and a  :DrinkPint:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:39 PM »
Still watching and enjoying.
I'm glad to see the setups. I'm learning from them.

Time for a sauna and a  :DrinkPint:

Oh I could use both of those tonight.
And probably tomorrow...
And probably...
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
Feedscrew ops night tonight..

One of the best mods so far on my myford is the 33t and 34t gears I did for the tumbler output and the "drop bolt" quadrant stud (to give more freedom in positioning) the standard quadrant. I never use the metric quadrant anymore unless a very odd pitch is to be cut (worms for instance)

With a 34t tumbler output gear and the gearbox set to 36tpi, a 1,0mm pitch screw can be cut with ease.
20160211_183349 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Made a 8X1mm stud at first but made my usual mistake in that the raw material was exactly at 8mm.. This usually means that by the time the nut part fits the fit is loose, with huge ammount of backlash... Note to myself, allways make the OD of a stud a bit undersize, about 10%
20160211_185153 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

I found a quality (SKF) 10x1mm tap in my "never sorted taps" box (chuffed!) so I bored, drilled and tapped the feed nut for this thread and made Another stud. 9,9mm OD this time and the fit is very good indeed, I can hardly feel any backlash at all. Here is the stud and feednut with the top plate that captures the nut..
20160211_200615 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

All for now..

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 07:57:55 PM »
Bjorn

This thing you just mentioned to make the stock diameter smaller before threading.  I did not know this.  Is this also true if you threading with a die?

Vince

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 08:23:18 PM »
Bjorn

This thing you just mentioned to make the stock diameter smaller before threading.  I did not know this.  Is this also true if you threading with a die?

Vince

No, not with a die, the treads are allmost allways a bit loose with a die, at least for me.. (mostly lousy, cheap dies in my shop). The only quality thins I have seems to be odd, I have for instance found second and third 10,1x1mm taps in the same box today!, I do not know where those came from..)

GhT did a good writeup on threads  in his book "The Model Engineers Workshop Manual", crest and root fit are more of a nuisance when doing single point thread cutting, truncating the tips of the bolt part makes it easier to make the fit good

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2016, 02:45:53 PM »
Small steps taken today; a hole drilled, feed knob made , graduation done and some dowels..

Made a simple bushing to drill the hole for the feedscrew in the right place
20160213_101229 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Put some lines on the feednut (20 divisions/0,05mm feed per line). First time I have used the headstock Dividing attachment for this kind of work, a lot easier than rigging up the versatile on a arbor in the spindle and fixing a lock rod somewhere in the (usually) grotty gear area..
Regarding the graduation tool, I'm not totally happy with it, the Radford design is a lot better (perhaps one day.).
20160213_103745 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr
20160213_103748 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr
20160213_125241 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Dowels, bits of 4mm rod was hacksawed and ends finished with the handrest and graver
20160213_134106 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Dowels are to secure the top and bottom plates of he slide.

Group photo of today. Need to get going on the gear selector mechanics.
20160213_142222 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »
Looks like a collection of GHT'S tools in use and some great results on the quick step. Very nice work Bjorn........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »
Thanks Don. Like you, I have made many of his tools. He did a lot for us

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
Tinkering a bit with toolpost mounting ideas for since a few Days. Will scrap the clamp bar from the original design and opt for some kind of integrated Dickson type thingy. If need arised for a angle setup, I'll make a adapter plate for my tilting vertical slide too.

After squaring of a chunk of quite poor quality steel, a start was made on the 45degree dovetails (exactly 48mm apart)

20160214_122423 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Dovetails done
20160214_131828 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

After milling out the central section and attacking it with a myford size T-slot cutter (sorry, forgot to take a Picture) a test was done for fit on the toolpost
20160214_134631 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Block cut apart, there will be a mounting on either side
20160214_135426 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

This is what I'm having in mind, the "toolholder" blocks are a fair bit taller than standard toolholders to make it a bit more stable. They will allso bear against the top of the compound slide. No need for a vertical adjustment screw/nut
20160214_150712 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Trying out how to position the bit I made, spindle of the quick-step on centre height and horizontal with the vertical slide at bottom position. will super glue be enough to hold in place for drilling?
20160214_151350 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2016, 06:39:10 PM »
Small job today.

Drilled and counterbored one of the toolpost adaptors for a pair M6 socket bolts. I do like the versatility of the Granlund countersink system.
20160217_184626 by Bjorn Pettersson, on Flickr

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
Hi all.. After not being in the workshop for over a year (life sadly got in the way) I have started fiddling with my gear again and the quick-step is almost done! Belt guard and some electrical tidying up to do...  :zap: (motor is a 24V DC item, run of a power supply)

20170907_194127 by Bjorn Bursell, on Flickr

This the quick-step in action making the handle boss of a GHT retracting top slide, all machining phases could be made in one go in the lathe chuck, only part of to length, tap some threads and insert the ball handle after machining.... boy this is a very nice addition. The Myford is suddenly a multi operations machining centre, albeit manual..

20170907_195034 by Bjorn Bursell, on Flickr
Milling the stop faces (underside of the boss, this would otherwise have been an second ops on the milling machine mounted on a one off made mandrel set up in the dividing head). Before this , the outer face had been turned to diameter a bit overlength and a axial hole has been drilled and bored almost to size. This is milled 3/4 around the boss, so 45 turns on the dividing head. infeed is put on with the cross slide, same as with ordinary turning work so milling to diameter on the boss was a doodle.

20170907_195918 by Bjorn Bursell, on Flickr
Radial drilling of grubscrew hole

20170907_201025 by Bjorn Bursell, on Flickr
Radial drilling at taper angle opposite side to grubscrew hole (topslide used for feed in on this operation) for the handle after some more lathework. After this the central hole was reamed to size and the boss parted of.. Done!

20170907_225108 by Bjorn Bursell, on Flickr
Finished item

20170907_225150 by Bjorn Bursell, on Flickr
Finished item

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:36:05 PM by Bjorn_B »

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:03 AM »
Interesting tool and a nice result with the lever  :ThumbsUp:

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
Hi Bjorn.

Good to see you back.

Vince

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
Thanks!

I hope to post things more regular from now on and as the quick-step is more or less done it will pop up in pictures the GHT retracting top slide thread next, I have started making progress on that one again..

I must say that a milling spindle of some sorts speeds up work a lot even this low powered one (just a 90W motor), that boss would have taken at least three times more to do with mandrel making, mounting dividing head on the milling table, alignment work and then figuring out how to set up for the angled hole for the lever...  I rather not think about that, haha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal