Author Topic: Another farm boy  (Read 17038 times)

Offline JFK

Re: Another farm boy
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
Thanks bluechip,foundthem now. :embarassed:

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
Happy new year , Time for an update,

First job to tackle was drilling the 3 cylinder mounting holes these are 3 inches deep and a bit of a worry but it all went well with no hick ups i mad a drill jig to aid in correct alignment.

I had been putting off securing the frames together until i was happy that eveything was going to fit, i drilled and tapped the holes as suggested in the plans, then used jb weld to glue everything together.

A good friend of mine was giving away his pantograph so it was quickly snapped up and dropped round to my workshop and wired up to my 3 phase converter i have had a quick play around with a small tag its only a mock up and a better one will be made at a later date. Im keen to use this machine to make some of the smaller parts so we will see how that progresses.

Ive also bored the hubs of my flywheels and put everything together up to date im very pleased so far, i have also made a start on the cylinder head but have been struck down with a cold so dont feel up to doing much.

All the best Gaz

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »
Nice progress Gaz the fit looks great. Excellent work on the cylinder and hopper.

Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
Hi Gaz, excellent progress. I enjoy watching.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »
Yes, couldn't agree more!  It looks great!
And so does that pantograph!  That seems like a great score! I'd love to have something like that in my shop.  You'll have lots of fun with that piece of kit I think.

Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
More amazing progress  Gaz. It's starting to come together nicely.

Bill

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2016, 10:29:37 PM »
Thank you for the encouragement as always guys

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: The pantograph is a useful addition to your workshop  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2016, 09:07:59 PM »
Update time :)

One of the jobs i was not looking forward to doing was locating and drilling all the holes in the cylinder head and i had hoped to have a dro by now but i still cant make my mind up so a used good old fashioned dti.

Once i was happy of the location i set about getting tooled up and ready

Now my milling machine was supplied with a microscope ????? far too precise for me but hey worth having a play the scribe line was done using the mills center which looked horrific under the microscope.

holes all drilled and reamed where required.

Now I have  been looking at ways of using the panto graph for more than just making signs! So i have been scaling up some of the parts by a factor of 3 and today i made a template using some 4 mm plastic sheet.
I thought that using a 6 mm endmill i would need an 18 mm follower but this was not so my part came out under size by about 0.98 mm so i adjusted the follower to 20 mm and this done the trick. Also on the practice piece i used a 60 degree spotting drill which did not  give a very clear result so i used an engraving cutter on the second part this gave a much better center to pick up when i come to drill the holes. I should add that i formed the radii using the horizontal mill attachment first then transfered the part to the panto for final machining.

This is the first attempt looks good

Then the second attempt much better

Thats us all up to date i now need to mill out a fixture to hold the rocker arm ready for drilling which i hope to finish tomoorow......................

all the best Gaz

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
Just a little update, I finally brought myself a dro from machine-dro it arrived the very next day, I had a day of fitting various brackets to fabricate but its all on and working like a dream. A couple of days later my wife called me while i was at working in a bit of panic saying the fuse board in the house keeps tripping out, I quickly came home and tracked the fault down to the milling machine switch gear? I didn't want to repair the switch gear so a quick google put me onto power capacitors supply Variable Frequency Drives now i have  never had anything to do with these but from what i had read on the internet i could bypass all my switch gear and run my motor direct, So i ordered the drive and fitted it to my motor wired correctly but i just didn't seem to have any torque so worried i called power capacitors and spoke with Pete we quickly figured out that my motor which is three phase was not duel voltage and that the only solution was a new motor. So i ordered a larger motor and that arrived the next day more fabricating and we are finally up and running again.....

I hope to update this thread in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal