Author Topic: Another farm boy  (Read 17218 times)

Offline Gazzaleachie

Another farm boy
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »
Hello everyone, I have been lurking in the back ground for a little while so I thought I could introduce myself with my first build. I've read through sshire build thread over and over again so I hope I am ready, I have purchased most of the material and while at the midlands show on Friday I picked up all the unf taps and dies required to complete the job, I do need a supplier of the nuts and bolts in the uk any help would be great.

I have a smallish workshop with a harrison 140 lathe and also a aciera f3 milling machine with a cabinet full of tooling.

I hope this post is ok and not breaking any rules,

Cheers gaz

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: Another farm boy
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 07:19:22 PM »
Hi Gaz, welcome to MEM. The members in UK will guide you to the fastener suppliers soon.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
You should be able to find something at Model Fixings

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/fixings.htm

I tend to substitute BA fixings on American designed engines

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:36:18 PM »
Thanks guys I may have to convert the drawings to ba threads unless someone outside the uk would be willing to help.

Cheers gaz

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »
If you do decide to convert this is the table that I made up to use

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 07:59:10 PM »
Thank you Jason I've just found a company in the uk called Westfield fasteners they supply most of the fasteners I require which is a big relief as I didn't want the taps and dies to go to waste

Cheers gaz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:06:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum Gaz. It looks like you are all fitted out to begin making chips and I will be following your progress on this nice little engine.

Bill

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
Welcome gaz.  Glad to meet you.  It does indeed look like you're well set for your project.  I'll be following along too.  I've always admired the farm boys.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
Welcome to MEM gaz!

I recently picked up a tooling cabinet very similar to yours; I was told that it was for some sort of a German made grinder. It was painted blue and all the shelf inserts were custom made for the tooling that is used to hold. It is in process of getting repainted and new inserts made for the shelves. I hadn't thought about using one of the shelves for collets but after seeing yours I just may do that.
Will post a picture when I get it completed.

Looking forward to seeing your Farm Boy progress.

Dave

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 09:25:55 PM »
Hello Dave, that's very interesting I look forward to the results, the cabinet is very well made and appear to handle a lot of weight the slotting head on the bottom shelf is a fair lump.

All the best gaz

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
Yes very well made; that is one of the things that attracted me to it, that and the very interesting swing out shelves. Can you make out what is says on the front of the shelves?

Dave

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 09:56:29 PM »
On the front of mine it reads "versa tool" patent no 803676

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »
Thanks, it appears to be the same as mine, most likely made in the UK.

Dave

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 06:41:49 PM »
Wow where have the last couple of weeks gone , my day job is working for an hgv main dealer and I'm on call 24 hours a day seven days a week so one day blurrs into the next, oh well I've had some time off and have made progress of sorts.

Front frame block all squared up and ready for some layout

Boring work in the lathe

It didn't all go to plan when I machined the radius I had marked two lines on the block and not thinking cut to the second scribe which was wrong, oh well start again this time spot on, I used the scrap part to check set ups for the next steps.

Rear view of mk2

More to follow

Cheers gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
Sorry about the mishap on the first piece Gary, but the second one looks great!!  Nice start.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 12:59:35 AM »
Hi Gary, welcome to the forum! I will be following you on your journey.

Don
 :popcorn:

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 04:23:45 AM »
Whattya say Gary. Terrific looking assortment of tooling as well as storage. I especially like what you have done to protect the bed of your mill right up to the vise edges by the making of wooden covers. I never really thought about it much as in school we were beat to death if we were caught having set anything on the mill bed. I will be stealing this idea if you don't mind  :embarassed:

BC1
Jim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 07:56:04 AM »
A nicely equipped workshop and a good start (except for the little oops, but we all make those  :facepalm:  )   :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I will be following along  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 08:13:51 AM »
Thank you very much gentlemen it's very frustrating having to start again but hey that's life.

Whattya say Gary. Terrific looking assortment of tooling as well as storage. I especially like what you have done to protect the bed of your mill right up to the vise edges by the making of wooden covers. I never really thought about it much as in school we were beat to death if we were caught having set anything on the mill bed. I will be stealing this idea if you don't mind  :embarassed:

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim I stole the idea from Tom Lipton who's Chanel I watch religiously on YouTube, makes cleaning the mill up very easy,  And also as you say you can put things on the table and not damage it. The plywood covers have strips of plywood underneath which locate in the t slots of the mill.

All the best gary

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
Some more progress this morning

[/URL

Cheers gaz

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »
Great start, Gary.
You've got the most difficult part well in hand. Pretty straightforward machining for most of the remaining parts. I'll be watching.
Best,
Stan

Offline Graham G

• NZ
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »
very nice  :popcorn: i must get on and finish a gocart project for my grandson then get back into small engine mode.
Keep up the great work.
Graham

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 09:31:01 PM »
bit more progress, while the milling machine is working away on the engine frames i made a start on the cylinder liner, i turned the liner between centre's and the drilled and bored to size, now all I've done so far is hone the liner and its very smooth does it need polishing? thanks for all the positive comments guys more progress to follow this week. I've also add a picture of the other project I am  helping a friend with.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »
The other photo may direct attention away from the very fine job you're doing on the Farmboy. Do tell... Cheers, Hugh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
Looking good.....but what was driving the cylinder liner on the lathe? I don't see a lathe dog even though the lathe was in motion in the picture?

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
The honed finish should be OK if you are using iron piston rings thats all I do on my hit & miss engines. You are making good progress.

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 07:46:42 PM »
The other photo may direct attention away from the very fine job you're doing on the Farmboy. Do tell... Cheers, Hugh.

It's a 1903 Burrell 6hp called Brenda, she needs a new fire box and front tube plate so we are in the process of stripping her down ready to cut the box out and fabricate a new one.

Looking good.....but what was driving the cylinder liner on the lathe? I don't see a lathe dog even though the lathe was in motion in the picture?

Bill

Bill there's just light pressure holding it in place will use a dig when turning the crankshaft though :)

The honed finish should be OK if you are using iron piston rings thats all I do on my hit & miss engines. You are making good progress.

Hi Jason I am using an o ring as suggested in the plans I only ask as the finish is really smooth

Cheers gaz

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »
My mill sits at a rather uncomfortable height so I have to move to other parts of the engine to save my back so while having a break from the rear frame I've made a start on the crankshaft the crank pin is on size but all other dimensions are oversize until live made the bearings and finished the frame, I used a piece of en8 round bar for the crank?

Now back on to the rear frame again all roughed out it's not perfect but looks ok

All the best gaz.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 12:32:56 PM »
You are really making some great progress gaz!!  Nice to see an update on this project!!

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
This engine is very interesting and the build is looking very nice. Could someone please educate this ignorant American as to
what EN8 steel is in US terms? I've seen many references to it in various posts but no description!

Thanks,
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 05:41:27 PM »
1140/1 or 146

A medium tensile weldable steel. Fair resistance to wear. Suitable for general engineering components

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 06:38:46 PM »
Coming along well  :praise2: Nice crankshaft  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »
1140/1 or 146

A medium tensile weldable steel. Fair resistance to wear. Suitable for general engineering components

Thank you Jason.

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 12:31:59 AM »
Beautiful work Gary and love the crank. It looks like you cut the rear frame from a solid bar or did I miss something? The rear frame looks great also........ :  :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 08:47:36 AM »
Hi don sorry I'm not very good with a camera I get carried away and forget to take pictures but anyway, the front and rear frames have been machined out of 3x3 blocks and so will the cylinder/water hopper.

All the best gaz

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
Just a little Sunday evening up date for those following along I've fitted the crank but didn't take any pictures as I got carried away, it's in though and turns nicely.

[/URL

[URL=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/gazzaleachie/media/image.jpg2_zps68duebqs.jpg.html]

Next to be tackled will be the water hopper

All the best gaz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 06:42:10 PM »
More fine progress Gaz, thanks for the update!!

Bill

Offline chris evans

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »
I have just joined the forum, nice work there. The last place I worked at before retiring had a mill like yours, it was unused for 12 or more years and I was tempted to ask if they would sell. However it is on a first floor and would cost to much to remove and transport. They may move premises one day so I keep in touch. It would go well with my Bridgeport.

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
I've been working on the water hopper for a couple of days now I thought I had everything set up smack on but obvously not at the cylinder opening is slightly off centre very annoying . Anyways let me know what you think more progress to follow.

Just a quick question are my post a bit over the too with picture or would more text be welcomed.

Cheers

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
One can't have enough photos in a build log.  Keep it up.

Vince

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »
I like this shaping of a Aluminium block.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
The water hopper still requires the one inch radii on the bottom to blend in with the rest of the frame work.

Cheers gaz

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »
Nice work Gaz but I am confused you put the liner in before you bored the hopper. Will the liner be in the water some way?

Don

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
Hi don, no the water space is 1.5 inches deep and there is almost 1/2 inch before the liner also the liner is only a push fit in the hopper so I removed it after I had got the correct fit, I hope the makes sense all the best gaz

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »
Pictures are always good  :) Text can be useful, but there are forum members who don't have English as their first language. ( Did I say I like pictures  :ThumbsUp: )

I'm following and enjoying the build  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »
Nice to see more progress Gaz. This is really a nice looking engine and you are making good headway on it. The off center issues doesn't seem very bad at all so you can probably just blend things together.

Bill

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »
Thanks bill I hope so, I'm on a course today so hope to be home early and finish the water hopper off.

Cheers gaz

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »
Just a quick question are my post a bit over the too with picture or would more text be welcomed.

Gazz: In my opinion it is difficult to put in too many pictures. I find it helpful to add text explaining what's in the pictures and the thought behind the set-ups, any difficulties, etc. These are the advantages of a forum over a published article, there's space for more detail. I'd suggest that you let your patience be your guide, put in as much detail as you patience allows. If anyone finds it too much they can skip ahead.

Nice build, a hit-and-miss build is on my short list. Thanks for taking the time to post your progress.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 11:36:22 AM »
Hi guys I made a start on the the radius on the bottom of the water hopper on Monday after a very long day at  Daf trucks training center learning about the new advanced emergency braking system very cleaver stuff.
Anyways my mind was fried and for the life of me I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I was unable to turn my rotary table after setting up the hopper.

Well it will never turn if you use a t nut and clamp the whole assembly to the mill table duh! So I give up go inside and have  a beer. Tuesday was round two at daf so after the exam I came home and just relaxed.
Today i made a fixture plate which I bolted to the rotary table and then secured the part to that problem solved.

This us the last of the large part roughed out now all parts need the varous holes drilling and tapping

All the best gaz

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
 :lolb: :lolb:

Bolted to the table! I've done some real head slapping things but never that one.

Keep it coming Gaz, I love what you're doing.  :cheers:

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2015, 11:16:02 PM »
I like that one also makes you stop a think. Nice progress Gaz and still with you.......... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline JFK

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
Gaz,

Pleased you're doing this thread. Looks like you're making a good job of it. I bought the Farm Boy plans 2 or 3 years ago
but shelved them when I saw all that carving out to do..Your thread has really motivated me to order the blocks and get stuck in.

Can you tell me where you got the flywheel castings from ?

Thanks, John.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
Gaz,

Pleased you're doing this thread. Looks like you're making a good job of it. I bought the Farm Boy plans 2 or 3 years ago
but shelved them when I saw all that carving out to do..Your thread has really motivated me to order the blocks and get stuck in.

Can you tell me where you got the flywheel castings from ?

Thanks, John

Keep up the good work.

Thanks john I'm really glad you like the thread, yes there is a lot of material to remove which would be made easier with a bandsaw, as for the flywheels I brought them from college engineering supply, there website is www.collegeengineering.co.uk.

Hope this helps all the best gaz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
Even after the false start, that rounding turned out really well Gaz!  Nicely done.

Bill

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »
Hi guys not sure if there is a section on this forum but I want to use gib head keys to secure my flywheels as used in full size engines now I know the key should have a 1/100 taper but the keys for this engine are 1/8 x1/8 so what would be the angle required to set my slotting head at for such a small taper if I've worked it out correctly I have it as 0.0015 ?

Hope this makes sense cheers gaz

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 07:50:16 PM »
Hi Gaz

I have been enjoying the progress on your Farm Boy project.
I believe that the taper is 1/8" per foot; that would work out to an angle of .5968 degrees.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »
1:100 would be 0.57deg

You may find it easier to pack one side of the flywheel, 1mm of packing for every 100mm of diameter. Thats how I cut teh tapered slot when making bushes to guide my keyway broaches as well a sgib head keys, cotters and wedges. This is a cotter set up for 1:48 or 1/8" in 6" or 1/4" per ft. You can also put packing under the vice

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »
Thank you for the insurgents I will post my progress

All the best gaz

Offline JFK

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
Gaz, Thanks for your reply. Can't see the flywheel castings on the 'College' website.
I'll get in touch with them nearer the time and collect from the show.
Ta , John

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
John

Go to website   > downloads  for catalogue.

Flywheels in there. P22.  Download pagination is weird  :headscratch: look for P22 bottom LH corner ..

Dave

Link;

http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/Downloads/Catalogue2012.pdf
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:46:10 PM by Bluechip »

Offline JFK

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
Thanks bluechip,foundthem now. :embarassed:

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
Happy new year , Time for an update,

First job to tackle was drilling the 3 cylinder mounting holes these are 3 inches deep and a bit of a worry but it all went well with no hick ups i mad a drill jig to aid in correct alignment.

I had been putting off securing the frames together until i was happy that eveything was going to fit, i drilled and tapped the holes as suggested in the plans, then used jb weld to glue everything together.

A good friend of mine was giving away his pantograph so it was quickly snapped up and dropped round to my workshop and wired up to my 3 phase converter i have had a quick play around with a small tag its only a mock up and a better one will be made at a later date. Im keen to use this machine to make some of the smaller parts so we will see how that progresses.

Ive also bored the hubs of my flywheels and put everything together up to date im very pleased so far, i have also made a start on the cylinder head but have been struck down with a cold so dont feel up to doing much.

All the best Gaz

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »
Nice progress Gaz the fit looks great. Excellent work on the cylinder and hopper.

Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
Hi Gaz, excellent progress. I enjoy watching.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »
Yes, couldn't agree more!  It looks great!
And so does that pantograph!  That seems like a great score! I'd love to have something like that in my shop.  You'll have lots of fun with that piece of kit I think.

Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
More amazing progress  Gaz. It's starting to come together nicely.

Bill

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2016, 10:29:37 PM »
Thank you for the encouragement as always guys

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: The pantograph is a useful addition to your workshop  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2016, 09:07:59 PM »
Update time :)

One of the jobs i was not looking forward to doing was locating and drilling all the holes in the cylinder head and i had hoped to have a dro by now but i still cant make my mind up so a used good old fashioned dti.

Once i was happy of the location i set about getting tooled up and ready

Now my milling machine was supplied with a microscope ????? far too precise for me but hey worth having a play the scribe line was done using the mills center which looked horrific under the microscope.

holes all drilled and reamed where required.

Now I have  been looking at ways of using the panto graph for more than just making signs! So i have been scaling up some of the parts by a factor of 3 and today i made a template using some 4 mm plastic sheet.
I thought that using a 6 mm endmill i would need an 18 mm follower but this was not so my part came out under size by about 0.98 mm so i adjusted the follower to 20 mm and this done the trick. Also on the practice piece i used a 60 degree spotting drill which did not  give a very clear result so i used an engraving cutter on the second part this gave a much better center to pick up when i come to drill the holes. I should add that i formed the radii using the horizontal mill attachment first then transfered the part to the panto for final machining.

This is the first attempt looks good

Then the second attempt much better

Thats us all up to date i now need to mill out a fixture to hold the rocker arm ready for drilling which i hope to finish tomoorow......................

all the best Gaz

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
Just a little update, I finally brought myself a dro from machine-dro it arrived the very next day, I had a day of fitting various brackets to fabricate but its all on and working like a dream. A couple of days later my wife called me while i was at working in a bit of panic saying the fuse board in the house keeps tripping out, I quickly came home and tracked the fault down to the milling machine switch gear? I didn't want to repair the switch gear so a quick google put me onto power capacitors supply Variable Frequency Drives now i have  never had anything to do with these but from what i had read on the internet i could bypass all my switch gear and run my motor direct, So i ordered the drive and fitted it to my motor wired correctly but i just didn't seem to have any torque so worried i called power capacitors and spoke with Pete we quickly figured out that my motor which is three phase was not duel voltage and that the only solution was a new motor. So i ordered a larger motor and that arrived the next day more fabricating and we are finally up and running again.....

I hope to update this thread in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Gazzaleachie

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal