Author Topic: Sterling 60 and other things  (Read 19983 times)

fcheslop

Sterling 60 and other things
« on: August 18, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Hi,I don't know why but I cannot just stick to one build at a time must be some attention defect disorder or just an unruly mind :insane:
I had started on an E T Westbury Robbo but have hit the wall for now just need some materials and check out some dimensions and watching the paint dry on the steam launch Victoria was boring :Lol:

So a start was made on the the Sterling 60 as iv been fancying building it for some time

The first cut of a new project is always some thing special :Lol:
The pillars for the upper table are just simple turning jobs but I did decide to use studs instead of threading the ends

Next up the main pillar for the beamthis is in two parts as I'm a tight wads and didn't want to turn all that 1inch brass down

The slot and cylinder mounting pin holes were done on the mill

just a shot of the parts made

Then the attention disorder kicked in Iv been liking at this little swarf catcher for a while and though it maybe a worth while  add on

Cheers back soon
frazer
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:02:03 PM by fcheslop »

Offline lazylathe

• Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
Re: Sterling 60 and other things
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »
Nice start Frazer!!

I seem to be suffering from the same disease!
3 projects in various stages of completion, another few lined up as well...

I need to focus on he one and get it completes for a friend before September!

Looking forward to the Stirling 60!!

Andrew
A new place to hide my swarf!

fcheslop

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
Hi Andrew ,Glad to see a fellow sufferer :Lol:
The casting for the swarf tray was quite nice so just gave it a quick file up and a rub on the surface plate well just a cheap stone place matt thing as I wont use abrasives on my surface plate

must say it cleaned up very easily,Then set it up on the mill to machine the reference and mounting faces

Then spot faced and drilled the mounting hole

Quickly made up the mounting bolt and gave it a try before making the front felt wiper Wow no swarf on the front of the bed
well it amused me

Once the felt wiper was fitted the unit was given a coat of paint but make sure its oil proof :ShakeHead:
Never mind its going to get well used any how .Was it worth the effort upto now I think so as it keeps the ways clean and spreads a nice thin coat of oil along the ways

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »
Nice job on the swarf tray Frazer. Your lathe sure has a nice paint job

Steve

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »
Now I understand. Nifty.
I wasn't sure what it was earlier.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

fcheslop

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
Hi Steve,The lathe is a Myford refurb one of the last bought from the sell of so I cannot take any credit for the paint other than the chips
Hi Carl,Sorry to have had you baffled but hell why not thats how I live my life :Lol:
After the chip/swarf tray diversion the upper half of the beam pillar was made and just needs the slot and a bit of loctite once every thing is in position

The parts made so far

Next up is the main bearing holder but I had a problem with a cheap collet chuck 6thou run out  :censored:and that's after having it replaced twice so onto a cunning plan
Amandrel was turned up and a collet fitted to clock in the taper

The chuck was then bored true and after a little adjustment a collet was blued up to check the taper

The chuck was then tested using several sizes of Stubbs and the max run out is now about 2tenths of a thou more than good enough for me although it could be better but I don't have a tool post grinder but a least its now a usable bit of kit instead of collecting dust.
Well that's about it sorry theres not a lot of the Sterling 60 but I did say in the title and other things.
Thanks to all for looking in any hints and tips gratefully appreciated and please excuse my rather dire written skills
kind regards
frazer

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:33:46 AM »
I'm enjoying following your thread Frazer, the diversions add a little more spice to it

I cannot take any credit for the paint other than the chips

Well the Chips add character don't they?  :o
Looks like you picked up a nice lathe  :cheers:

Steve

fcheslop

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »
Hi Steve,the chips certainly add character but the air tends to turn blue :Lol:I'm just trying to keep her in good nick as I will never be able to afford another but she is a bonny colour :Lol:

After sorting the collet chuck it was put straight to use finishing the main bearing mount and a start made on the candle holder another simple step turning job but I now think I need to make a carrage stop just didn't realise how much I used the one on the old lathe another project perhaps :ShakeHead:

The parts to date the top of the candle holder is alloy as I didnt have any brass so needs must
At this stage my long term build has sneaked into frame as the undercoat was dry she was given a quick lick of paint but she also needed some fitting so time for another little diversion
A simple form tool was made using a bit of gauge plate simply drilled and reamed a 1/8 hole at about a 15 degree angle and filled the form then gave it a quick hardening sorry didn't bother to temper it

The fittings were then cross drilled and worked out OK I think

I also needed to make some 1/8 door knobs so the same form tool was used at a slightly different angle and 10 knobs turned from some old brazing rods  made a few spares as the little black hole under the bench is shure to claim a few but here they are

Then a few extra ribs for Victoria and a coat of paint for Miss America

Well that's me up to date bet you re confused but that's the way I work :insane:
best wishes to all
cheers

fcheslop

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:21:01 PM »
Oops missed this picy for the form tool

Introducing Victoria

Well I did say and other things
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:27:32 PM by fcheslop »

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:24:05 AM »
Heh, I just got one of those collet chucks for my Emco (which has a Myford-style thread), from RDG Tools. I had about 1.5 thou of runout, so I re-bored mine too!

Simon

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 02:20:58 AM »
Yea, I just ordered a ER32 collet chuck from RDG for my Myford. Are they any good?
Frazier that launch look awesome, I love it.

Don

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
Not sure exactly where you're going Frazer, but can see where you've been and it's pretty darn cool. The form tool's a real beauty.

Steve

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 04:14:37 AM »
Yea, I just ordered a ER32 collet chuck from RDG for my Myford. Are they any good?

Hi Don

I'm pretty happy with it for the price, and after boring out a thou or two (the longest part of which is getting the cross-slide set to the right angle), it's close enough for me.

I can't for the life of me figure out what tool fits into the holes on the body, to tighten it up on the spindle. I assume it's a hook-shaped wrench (spanner); is it just the same as a one-toothed ER32 nut spanner?

Simon

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
Nice launch Frazier....I have a soft spot for them too!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline lazylathe

• Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »
Nice work Frazer!
Love the lathe too... Sometimes wish my ML7 would magically transform over night... :stir:

In the second set of pics, third one down you have a copper tube with one silver and one green end and some knurling.
What is it?
Looks like it might hold small things?

Andrew
A new place to hide my swarf!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal