Author Topic: Sterling 60 and other things  (Read 19962 times)

fcheslop

Re: Sterling 60 and other things
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »
Thanks Marv, Glad you enjoyed the composition  :Lol:.Not really my thing but thought I would give it a try .I know keep the day job :embarassed:
Cheers

Offline Peewee

• Peterborough UK
    • PSME
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 04:25:45 PM »
A Nice looking engine, lovely finish  :cheers:  the video was good also though i see you have removed it
Ian
Still sane?  definitely not but enjoying life more

fcheslop

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
Not guilty you're honour don't know what has happened to the video :headscratch:
Try again

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »
The wonderful new photobucket vids never work on my iPad anymore.  Oh well.   I will make some engine noises with my tongue  :P

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
Frazer.
Those bling fairies certainly know their job!  :ThumbsUp:

And, how to put on a presentation.......  :praise2:

Pbucket lost all my earlier vids. Also I have great trouble watching vids, due to the constant buffering.  :wallbang:

Never had any problems with YouTube. 

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline ReFlad

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 12:04:26 AM »
Holy crap Frazer.  Just found this thread.  U. R. Awesome!
Ronald

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
Well done indeed Frazer  :praise2:

That's a cracker of a Cracker as well!

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
Nice work there Frazer, love the stirling 60  :ThumbsUp:

fcheslop

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »
Thanks for the kind replies
Hi Arnold the Cracker goes like a Cracker with the new burner.Don't know why I build the little locomotives Ive no track :insane:.I remember you're build of Idris how did you bend the frames its always puzzled me about the allowance needed so have never bothered building her but do fancy Wild Rose just downloaded the drawings .
Just spent my allowance at Camden again :Lol: so maybe a scale engine next or another Sterling or go back to my roots and build another clock the Congrieve has always fascinated me even though it has to be a poor time keeper.
Thanks to all for the support thats about it from me for a little while
best wishes
frazer

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
Hi Frazer.

I didn't bend the frames on the Idris - In Dave Watkins's documentation he mentioned that it might be possible to build it without the bends and that's what I did.  It's sort of a bit of give and take; it makes the build easier, but the boiler ends up a bit smaller in diameter, and results in less capacity, so shorter run-times.  Fred (as my "Idris" is called) isn't a very good runner; there's lots of factors around that - all down to my very amateur craftsmanship and poor knowledge of live steam when I built it.  Just like Dave found, I think it could benefit greatly from a gas burner.  The alcohol burner destroyed some ties of my track - steaming up creates a lot of heat close to the track and will melt plastic ties :lolb:

I built a Cracker as well, it's a great little runner, but the gas tank is a bit wrong and allows liquid gas to get to the jet when the tank is filled - big no-no.  The original jet I used worked great, but clogged up quickly and all attempts to clean it have failed; it's basically just a bit of pierced aluminium foil scrounged from a cheap pencil torch.  So I need to figure out a way to either buy or make suitable jets.  The Cracker still needs finishing; at the moment it's pretty much a test-bed  ;)

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2012, 10:17:43 AM »
Sterling 60? Is that how much it cost, very nice Stirling Engine.
        I'd love to build a hull like the ones you build, to put one of my Stirling Engines in, I have a tin hull, but it is heavy compaired to wood.  What sort of wood do you use.  Ian S C
ps Sterling is the currency in the UK.
pps Had a look in google about the motor, the problem must be in the translation from Dutch.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:36:14 AM by Ian S C »

fcheslop

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
Hi Arnold, many thanks for the info :ThumbsUp: You have a p.m re burner
Hi Ian I thought it was Sterling after Mr Sterling and the 60 as it was designed as a gift for his fathers 60 birthday ?
The wood for Victoria is 1/16 marine ply.As the planking is covered in paint why use a good hardwood you will have to forgive the quality of the planking as it was rough and ready partly because it was painted the other part I wasn't sure if the hull was going to work out
To use a Sterling for a boat is some thing Ive been pondering over for some time :ThumbsUp:good luck with the build.What engine do you intend using as it sounds very interesting
kind regards
frazer

Offline awscobie

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
Hi Frazer,

i really liked your stirling 60 engine. alot of good ideas for me. I'm in the process of starting my own and have a few questions for you if that's alright?

first of all, I'm having problems sourcing pearlitic cast iron for the displacer bearing. Did you use this or an alternative?
secondly, I'm relatively new to model engineering and was wondering how you managed to turn the inside of the displacer so finely. I did think on using another glass test tube of the same dimensions?.

I look forward to hearing from you and I've really enjoyed your work.

Andy

fcheslop

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 08:19:09 PM »
Hi Andy,
           I used bronze for the bearing and a good model engineer friend used cast iron and despite what the instructions say they both need a little light lube on the displacer shaft just a wipe with WD40 seems to do the trick.There is room to make the bush a couple of mm longer
The displacer I made is from alloy to reduce the weight a little. The displacer rod on my engine is 3/32 dia turned down to take an 8BA thread and the cap of the displacer has a top hat shape and a blind hole threaded 8 BA if that makes sense as I didn't like the idea of gluing every thing up
The displacer was drilled then bored as thin as possible I just simply rough ground a drill to form the internal rad

In the past I made a D bit to finish the internal form

Sorry for the poor pics my camera is about Donald
There was only one minor err on the drawings or I miss read them that's more than likely.It was the hole for the candle holder in the base I think it was M5 clearance but the column was tapped M4
When you come to run it buy good quality candles as they burn a lot hotter than those ?1 per 100 type and if it still wont run try bees wax candles :ThumbsUp:
best wishes
frazer

fcheslop

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 08:24:49 PM »
OH I forgot  :hi: and we like pictures :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal