Author Topic: Can an Engine run for 60min on one tank of air  (Read 2147 times)

Offline geoff5269

Can an Engine run for 60min on one tank of air
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:33:44 PM »
When I have made my engines I like to run them from my Airbrush compressor and see how little pressure they need and how long they will run on one charge up of air. The best I have done so far with Elmers double acting wobbler is around 35 mins. My compressor tank is 3 litres and charges up to 4 Bar so I calculate this is 12 litres running an engine size .6 cc. So now I'm thinking or trying to make one that would run for 1 hour.
Have you any suggestions to help with this? obviously it needs to be accurately machined and not too tight.
I calculate it this way, every revolution is 1.2cc x 100rpm x 60min  = 7.200 litres so it might be possible.
Geoff
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD397Yn6yE8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD397Yn6yE8</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Can an Engine run for 60min on one tank of air
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »
Geoff, are you wanting to accomplish this with the same engine design? Wobblers are still going to lose some amount of air at the cylinder/frame interface. What about a non-wobbler such as Elmer's Standby engine (though it is not double acting)? Or you could always scale things down so that the air consumed per rev. is less...thus giving a longer run time.

Bill

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
Re: Can an Engine run for 60min on one tank of air
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »
Could try to fill the tank to 10 Bar and use a regulator to feed the engine. Used to race off road RC models and our mechanic would take a diving tank with 250 bar that lasted the whole day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal