Author Topic: A Maker Space in Eastern Pennsylvania Opens  (Read 8659 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: A Maker Space in Eastern Pennsylvania Opens
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the update Phil. I am guessing we have all been at that point in the video where things go awry!  No harm, no foul though in this case and another lesson learned  for the builder. The engine looks very nice though I must say and I like the wood base as well :)

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
Very neat Phil.

What was the age range of the people involved?
I think the closest makerspace to me is in Philly. Too far.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
Thanks Bill.  We had a good laugh over the "loose screw incident".  Just the typical excitement of trying out something you've worked on for a few months.

Thanks Zee, the ages ran from 19 - 64 with one husband-wife couple in their 40's.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 08:07:47 PM »
Sometimes, it's more fun when things fly apart. More memorable!
We learn a lot more from failures than we do from successes!
 cheepo45

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 08:29:38 PM »
Great work in introducing people to engineering  :praise2:  :praise2: The video reminds me of a motto we have had on the wall for many years "I've learnt so much from my mistakes I think I'll make some more"
Keep up the good work  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 10:25:47 PM »
Cheepo,
In that case it was quite a learning experience :Jester:  Lots of mistakes but we were able to recover from every one.  Only one part had to be remade and it was my fault.  I had them use a hand reamer in the mill/drill chuck to make the bore, a blind hole.  It wouldn't allow the piston to reach TDC, so we switched to a chucking reamer that had less of a taper on the end.

Roger,
I like the saying, that sounds like a definite addition to the machine shop.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 10:52:51 PM »
Since this effort 2 more students have fired up their engines with the same result.

Phil:

I'd have thought they'd learn from the first loose screw. You should tell the rest of the class to tighten that part up so they don't all have "the same result".

But really, great job.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 10:59:19 PM »
Hugh,
Sorry, I meant I had 2 more students successfully run their engines, only had that one "loose screw incident"

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 12:40:06 AM »
Nice work Phil, and I bet there was a lot of excitement getting the first one running. One good thing about the parts coming loose is that they will never forget it, so it has served it's purpose well........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 03:26:15 AM »
Thanks Don.  You're right about the learning experience.  You don't get that from reading a book.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »
Hugh,
Sorry, I meant I had 2 more students successfully run their engines, only had that one "loose screw incident"

Phil: I gathered that, but couldn't resist. Humor on the Internet, I just can't get it right.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »
Hugh,

:Doh:, you got me

Cheers,
Phil

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 03:07:35 AM »
I'm running a second introduction to machining class at our makerspace and thought I'd share some photos of the participants:

We're having some fun.  No taps broken (yet :ShakeHead:)

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 06:58:09 AM »
I like the way the lathe and mill are both at a child friendly height for them to have a go  8).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 12:25:53 AM »
These two guys, ages 7 and 10 helped their dad build a Wobbler engine in our makerspace.  Dad, who took the picture, had the same grin on his face when the engine first ran on compressed air.  These fellows actually operated the lathe and milling machine with their dad's hands on theirs turning handwheels.  It does take a certain personality to do this safely and these folks had it.  There was never an unsafe move by the boys.  They watched the tap and die work as well as any autofeed work on the lathe.

Cheers,
Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal