Author Topic: 2015 Black Hills Model Engineering Show  (Read 4489 times)

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
2015 Black Hills Model Engineering Show
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »
My vacation plans for a visit to New England were abruptly challenged when Ron posted here that the Yankee Steam Up had been cancelled. That and the questionable status of hurrican Joachin as it approached were enough to cause me to change my plans and head in the opposite direction.

I recalled that the Black Hills Model Engineering show was scheduled for sometime in October, so I checked, and sure enough it was the same day as the Yankee Steam Up.

An investigation showed I could reach Rapid City, South Dakota in two days of driving, the same time I had allotted to reach Rhode Island. So Black Hills it was.

Here are some photos I took at the nice little show.

A couple of shots at the end are standard vacation fare, including an enjoyable ride behind a steam locomotive on the Black Hills Central railroad.

--Tim

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:39:01 PM by tvoght »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: 2015 Black Hills Model Engineering Show
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:40:56 PM »
Hi Tim, some really nice engines and models. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
Yes, thanks for sharing those Tim.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:42 PM »
Tim,
Those are a nice bunch of engines. I couldn't help noticing the Val. That bunch of Ford engines were impressive, like the Ardun Ford. Thanks for the glimpse of the Black Hills.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »
Art,
I thought of you when I shot the Val photo. The builder told me to build one. He said it runs very well.

--Tim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »
That is just awesome Tim l love it. Thanks for sharing.

Don

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »
Tim,
I thought that might be the case about the Val. Thanks for thinking of me :). My eye keeps being drawn to that Aeronca E113 flat twin that is a sweet little engine.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 12:07:52 AM »
Hi Tim

Thanks for the pictures; wow there were some very impressive models in attendance. I like the gray paint on the Standard engine. I could get to Rapid City in a couple days maybe I should think about going sometime.

Dave

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
Dave,
Many of the engines, including the Frisco Standard, were from the collection of Paul Knapp (note the ones seen with descriptive display cards).

It's my understanding that they and others can be seen at the Craftsmanship museum in Carlsbad, CA.

http://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

--Tim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 01:33:26 AM »
What a nice show Tim!!  Some really beautiful models there and a great variety as well. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures.

Bill

Offline Mike Henry

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 03:27:41 AM »
Terrific pictures TIm, so thanks for sharing.  There are several models that are new to me and all of them look interesting.

Would it be possible to get a copy of that Otto-Langen model by hi-res and in email?  My email address should be in my profile, but if not it is:

michael henry at msn dot com

I have the Lenaz plans and have 3D modeled all the parts but am having a problem figuring out where a couple of the parts go and that view would be most helpful.

Thanks, Mike

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
I like that marine version of the Stuart Lightweight (red one) and a lot of other nice engines there too.

Mike Jo has the Otto assembled in CAD so may be able to help, there is a thread somewhere on it, worth asking there as I only have the bottom half drawn and assembled.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 08:40:38 AM »
Hi Art,

My eye keeps being drawn to that Aeronca E113 flat twin that is a sweet little engine.

Castings are available for the Aeronca  :mischief: The drawings are a little bit harder to come across but I was lucky  :cartwheel:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
I like that marine version of the Stuart Lightweight (red one) and a lot of other nice engines there too.

Mike Jo has the Otto assembled in CAD so may be able to help, there is a thread somewhere on it, worth asking there as I only have the bottom half drawn and assembled.

I also have this engine mostly assembled in Solid Works; let us know which parts you are not sure about and one of us can probably help.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal