Author Topic: JB Weld  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
JB Weld
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:01:53 PM »
I am building Stew Hart's Vertical Cross Single and have got to the flywheel.  For a couple of reasons I am making mine slightly different to Stew's design but I still need to form a fillet around the 6mm dia spokes where they fit in to the hub and the rim as Stew has done.  I have seen reference to JB Weld by many contributors here so wish to give it a try.  I should be grateful for help with the following questions:
What product do I need to act as an adhesive and allow me to form an easily worked fillet? (There are 15 different JB Welds available.  :headscratch:)
Once mixed how long does it stay workable?
How do I work it when it has set?
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: JB Weld
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »
You need the only one they actually call JBWeld. Red and Black tubes

Although it forms a fillet you may find it easier shaping and subsequently sanding something not quite so hard like one of the car body fillers, I use UPOL or for no sanding and easier shaping while soft Milliput. The JBweld is the better adhesive and also the one to use where things may get hot due to steam.

It works for quite a long time easily 30mins and really needs 24hrs to harden. its also a bit runnier than other body fillers so watch your fillets don't slump.

Once hard you can machine, file, sand, tap, drill just like working a hard plastic

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:05:25 PM »
Thanks Jason.  Just the gen I needed.   :cheers:
I don't need strong adhesive but do need easily workable filler so I'll give JB a miss this time and try one of your other suggestions.
Jim

Online sco

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »
Milliput gets my vote!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »
I would stay with JB, miliput is to soft in my opinion

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 01:12:16 AM »
I haven't used the milliput so can't comment on that, but Jason is correct that the JB Weld regular will slump some before hardening so you do have to watch that. If the adhesive strength isn't important, you might give the 5 minute fast setting version of JB Weld a try as that can mitigate the slumping problem.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:44:24 AM »
I find Milliput is best worked while soft as it does not sand that easily so if you are just forming decorative fillets then thats the one I would go for.

If its a general filler for surface imperfections and some fillets/blending then a car body filler is a lot easier to rub down , something like UPOL from Halfords works for me

Really comes down to what you are actually using the product for, they all have their advantages and disadvantages

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 11:39:05 AM »
What is Milliput? It seems to be a UK thing, are there other brands in other countries? Hugh.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »
You can buy Milliput in Australia, Superfine white is best.

Its just a two stick putty that you mix equal amounts of and being a putty can be shaped a lot easier than the typical epoxy fillers.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
Since I don't need strong adhesive properties for my current application I have purchased Milliput.  It will be used to form fillets around 6mm round steel spokes where they pass through a flywheel rim and according to the instructions that came with the material it can be smoothed using water to give a smooth finish and avoid the need for sanding.
Thanks to all for the various inputs.
Jim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
In the US, it is available from Micro-Mark I know, and possibly other vendors I am not aware of.

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=milliput

Bill

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »
Thanks Jason, you're quite right, I've got the idea of it now. Hugh.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
Jim, what I do is apply the mixed up putty along the internal corner with a small metal spatula a bit like  a dentist uses to put fillings into your teeth.

Then I take a ball ended tool but a bit of rod with  arounded and polished end will be fine, dip that in water and then draw it along teh corner. This forms a nice even fillet and removes 95% of the waste, you get a bit at the sides that can be removed with the spatula.

Finally take a wet artists paintbrush and do any final blending with that. Should need hardly any sanding afterwards

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
Thanks for the description of your technique Jason.  That is more involved than I had in mind but to get results anywhere close to yours, I'll use it.
Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal