Author Topic: Making a bearing for a small wobbler.  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Making a bearing for a small wobbler.
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:34:45 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a beginner to this game and while making the 'Potty mill' engine I'm also making a vertical wobbler engine of my own design, things have been going reasonably well but I'm now a bit stuck as to how to make a bearing for the piston rod end and hoped someone might be able to help.

At the moment I'm at this point and want to insert the brass between bolted mild steel ends and then drill and ream it to (probably 5mm).

The 2 end pieces were machined together and have matching radiused sides so I want the brass to match and thought ideally I'd like to finish them of in the lathe as 1 piece. I intend using 3mm bolts to hold the 3 parts together but even with a dab of Loctite I don't think the assembly will stand interrupted cuts while I machine the brass to match.

Has anyone any thoughts of how best to go about it ? Would I be better machining the brass separately and filing the whole assembly to match ?

Many thanks
Peter.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: Making a bearing for a small wobbler.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:24:46 PM »
Hi Peter

Take a look at my portable engine build

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,241.135.html

I have made something similar to what you are trying

Cheers

Rich

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Making a bearing for a small wobbler.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your help.

I like your idea of having a raised ring in the brass around the bearing hole, the piece of brass I have is a shade thicker than the steel end pieces, I was going to reduce the whole thickness to match the steel but think I'll leave a ring also.

Unfortunately I don't have a mill so I think the best option will be to drill and bolt it together then just file down the rest by hand. Initially I'd didn't really want to do that but having looked again and thought about it it's only a small radius to match so shouldn't be too difficult.

Peter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal