Author Topic: A very good Blog  (Read 4692 times)

Bogstandard

A very good Blog
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
I started to have a look at this blog, by a gent called Rob, a few years ago, after he asked me for permission to put the plans of my 'Paddleducks Engine' on there, and it has been growing ever since.

One thing I really like about it, the first is that anything on there in relation to peoples articles, he has asked permission of the originator, and second, he always gives due recognition to anything that is shown.

http://www.machinistblog.com/

It is a gold mine of all sorts of projects, hints and tips and almost anything you can think of in relation to what we get up to, and I am sure everyone who visits comes away with at least one tip, maybe lots, they have never seen before.

Just as an example, the 'Contrary Tool'.

If you are having trouble getting fine finishes on your lathe, have a look at this article. You just couldn't get an easier to grind and use tool. A couple of flats, and there is no centre height to be set.

http://www.machinistblog.com/?s=contrary+tool

Just enjoy.

John

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: A very good Blog
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »
I've heard that tool called a "shaving" tool somewhere in the old literature...but showed a differant configuration....this seems much easier to make and keep sharp....I'll need to try it out!

Thanks John!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

chuck foster

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
thanks for the link john, i have book marked it for future reference.

chuck

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
Thanks John for the link.  You're right.  It's a treasure trove of information.  I have to explore it more.

Vince

Offline ironman123

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
Chaulk another good deed for Bogs. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:  Thanks John, it will take me a while to go through that but looks very interesting.

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Offline iRon

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
Thanks once again. Lots of good information.

I think that the contrary finishing tool is similar in concept to that of L.C. Mason's book "Using the Small Lathe" but looks a bit easier to grind.

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
Rob lives right around the corner from me.  He and I have visited each other's shops many time over the past few years.

Rob is super busy heading up a project to try and get a "maker's space" started in the area.  As a result, the blog hasn't gotten updated in a while.  He is dedicated to getting others started in the hobbies of making things and showing other people how to do it.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 11:41:33 PM »
Good link. Thanks very much.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal