Author Topic: modern day plastics ,resin,chopped fibre,...(Carbon) ???  (Read 3073 times)

Offline kellswaterri

modern day plastics ,resin,chopped fibre,...(Carbon) ???
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
Hi folks,
            rather than scrap a costly part ,...has any one with a working knowlege of chopped carbon fibre and resin carbon powder cold cure filler...have you used it in any aspect of model engine  building and machining and how did it handle......any info. would be most helpful ...
                                                                         John.

Online sco

Re: modern day plastics ,resin,chopped fibre,...(Carbon) ???
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »
I quite often use the slow setting araldite with glass fibre woven tape as a structural 'bandage', even tissue paper works quite well as a reinforcement to the resin.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline dieselpilot

Re: modern day plastics ,resin,chopped fibre,...(Carbon) ???
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »
A plastic bandage is unlikely to fix a metal part that's truly scrapped. The only thing it's really good for is patching small holes. The go to product in the US is JB Weld which is an epoxy resin with metal powder. There are several similar products. For aluminum I have used the aluminum solder sticks because I don't have a welding setup. This has saved parts that would have no chance with any sort of plastic repair. Of course, it all depends on what you're fixing and what you expect from it after the fix.

Greg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal