Author Topic: Auto reversing winch  (Read 3394 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Auto reversing winch
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
I'm quite excited about this, and want to move forward to a point where it is being ran with my vertical hit and miss engine model. But--My back is sore. Very, very sore. Sore enough that I've convinced myself to stay out of my shop and garage for a few days. I hope to have a video of it running by the end of the week, but until my back eases off, nothing is going to happen.---Brian
Ouch!  Definitely take your time and let it heal well before pushing things in the shop. 

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
What kind of back problems Brian ?

I had a few times over the last 30 years where my lower back has been so bad that I could hardly walk (step length max 2") and this has "only" been muscle problems. In my case the cure is very simple - very strong heat to applied to the area in question - either hot water or infrared light - hot enough to be over the pain threshold (it hurts quite a bit), for some 10 minutes once or twice a day. If I start as soon as I suspect it coming - once can be enough - where as if it has been going on for days before I start the cure, it requires more treatments.
If your problem is bone or joint related none of the above will be of much use - one of those will be Chiropractor teotary ....

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Per

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »
Hello Brian,

We both have talked about the ole back giving us fits so I am right there with you. Last couple of weeks I have really been careful about everything that I did and my back was feeling much better....and then this morning me and a friend did some work on my Ham Radio Tower and I am now paying for it big time. Please take your time to recover, the little machine can wait.

Take care and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 09:39:53 PM »
Thanks for your concern guys. I have had an MRI on my back, and I have a couple of discs between the vertebrae in my lower back that are bulged. Not serious enough to demand surgery, but serious enough to hurt like heck.  Per, you are right. heat does help a lot. I spent most of today (other than my fat mans walk) setting on the couch with a heating pad behind my back.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »
I spent yesterday with a heating pad on my back, and no shop work at all. Today my back feels much better. so after  making a new weight and some other small changes on the winch mechanism, I was ready for test #2 of the automatic reversing winch. I'm quite pleased with this, and will be removing the electric drill and bolting the vertical hit and miss engine into place this afternoon.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTlMzcSJsFE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTlMzcSJsFE</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »
So--Here we have it. The reversing winch is being driven by the hit and miss engine. Unfortunately, the speed which it is running at doesn't clearly show the engine's hit and miss action.  I am somewhat "tied in" to what you see. The rpm of the engine is fixed. It is running at the "optimum" speed for this engine. I can change pulley diameters to slow things down, but in doing so, this inversely changes the amount of torque that the engine exerts on the winch, and affects the point at which the hit and miss mechanism on the engine operates. The hit and miss mechanism is very sensitive to torque loading on the engine. The diameter of the winch drum itself is "fixed". I may play around a bit with the weight on the end of the winch rope, but for now, this is what we have.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9u-wGfmCw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9u-wGfmCw</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »
Pretty slick!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 11:36:38 PM »
Brian

Pretty neat!!.

Surely the hit/miss ratio is determined by the work being done so varying the weight is the way to go?

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2019, 01:09:57 AM »
Pete--Systems like this are infinitely variable if you keep have the patience to keep playing with them. I did add to the weight after the most recent video was made, and it made a slight difference. I have the notion that if I dismounted the winch drum and turned it to a smaller diameter, it would probably do the trick. At his point in the game, I'm tired of playing with the system. I may in future do a bit more work on it, but I'm all machined out for a while.---Brian

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
Brian

I know what you mean. You emprically make changes here and there and you end up with these changes not doing what you expect, being not entirely sure what happened and which way to go next.

Best to park it for a while and wait for an inspiration.

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 01:25:36 AM »
Brian is well on the way towards a perpetual motion machine!   :ROFL:

Seriously... NICE JOB!
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal