Author Topic: Triple Orphans  (Read 216178 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Triple Orphans
« Reply #780 on: August 25, 2016, 07:38:30 PM »
Well, she'll have to buy oversized stock  because her drawings are proven to inconsistently incorrect  :facepalm:

The materials are only available in some odd 6.35mm diameter steps  :-\

I just hope I have got the length right for the third Anzani model as I have not yet drawn up the crankshaft from the works drawings :embarassed: but I have new photos of one ;D

Jo

P.S. I am still looking for the Anzani Fan type engine castings: I don't want to have to resort to making them from bar stock  :facepalm:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #781 on: August 25, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
The materials are only available in some odd 6.35mm diameter steps 

Thats what you get for using these antiquated suppliers, most steel stockists went to proper metric sizes years ago. But not to worry by the time you have removed that brown coating the size will come down to a nice even 6.00mm. This will have the added bonus of making the stock undersize to match your undersize castings :stir:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #782 on: August 25, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »
This will have the added bonus of making the stock undersize to match your undersize castings :stir:

The bar stock is for original casting sets with the correct machining allowances and wall thicknesses  :).

They are not undersized reproductions made from other casting sets  :ShakeHead: or from any of your quality casting suppliers  :hellno: It is no wonder you have such a bad opinion of castings  :facepalm2:

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #783 on: August 26, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »
I haven't had much time on the forum lately...

But it's always worthwhile to give a  :stickpoke:

For no particular reason.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #784 on: August 26, 2016, 07:23:19 AM »
Hi Zee, welcome back  ;)

I haven't had much time on the forum lately...

Let me guess:  Too much Wine, Women and Song  :ShakeHead: Its not good for you.

What you need is a nice new milling machine and some engine castings to give your that bit of extra enthusiasm to go and make some swarf  :P

Jo

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
« Reply #785 on: August 26, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »
Been watching this for far too long now. I think I now know why there is no cast iron on Oz! I just can't understand why England still appears to be up high on the globe, surely it should have swung towards the bottom by now. :lolb:

Wonderful work Jo, loving every minute of it.

Ian.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #786 on: August 26, 2016, 01:36:59 PM »
:lolb: Thanks Ian,

Actually I am beginning to think there is a magnetic anomaly around the South of Croydon as it seems to be attracting excessive quantities of castings of late. I am laying bets that by the time of the SMEE's Brooklands show someone will have more weight in model engine castings than I have, even if he tries to deny it :LittleDevil:

Tgs has finished grooving the bottom of the vee on the crankshaft jig and handed it back to me to make the mounting holes in it  :headscratch:

While he was doing that I decided I didn't want that BCA boring head making my assembly bench look untidy. The long and short of it seems to be that the adjuster screw's head has been rounded over. And I suspect that it is this screw that has flummoxed everyone as it is sinister  ::) And I have a matching sinister die  8) Turned and slotted the screw is now in place and all it needs is for me to make a few more mounting arbors so for now it can go and join the BCA's tooling collection.

Piston rings  :-\ These casting sets came with an odd bag of worms the three LPs single rings, three IP rings (6 are missing) and 9 off 22.2mm rings which would be much more useful if they were 19.05mm diameter  ::)

As I was in danger of using up lots of Cast Iron  :( I decided to try cutting a ring inside a ring. So having first turned an IP ring I then proceeded to turn a HP Ring. I decided that trying to save the centre of the bar as well was pushing my luck  :ROFL:

4 down and at least 11 more to go  :paranoia:

Jo

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:42:45 PM by Jo »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #787 on: August 26, 2016, 01:52:41 PM »

Actually I am beginning to think there is a magnetic anomaly around the South of Croydon as it seems to be attracting excessive quantities of castings of late. I am laying bets that by the time of the SMEE's Brooklands show someone will have more weight in model engine castings than I have, even if he tries to deny it :LittleDevil:

Yes there could well be a sudden shift in the earths rotational axis in just over a week, one of the problems of making decent size engines is that they tend to have heavy castings and not much of that aluminium stuff. The good thing is that this will only be a temporary issue as they will soon get drawn back to the magnetic north in the form of working engines, what swarf is left behind will probably eventually crop up in somebody elses workshop in the form of quality machines from the land of the rising SIEG.

Actually this shift of mass won't be as bad as some people would have you believe. It's a little known fact that these castings will actually help to balance out a large deficite where a substantial rotary table was removed from a nearby scrap dealers toolshop recently by one of our lesser spotted members. Someone said it was Swiss but I think they were refering to the holes and dings in the table and not it's country of origin :LittleDevil:

J
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:55:46 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #788 on: August 26, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »
Ring, ring, ring, ring and thankfully it took less of my bar stock than I feared.

As each ring was parted off I took the opportunity to run a file around the internal edge to smooth it off, this is easy to do with the ring solid, very difficult once broken. The breaking is easy: score the inside of the ring with a needle file (not the outside it leaves a mark  :ShakeHead:) securely clamp the ring in a good parallel clamping vice next to the mark leaving the remainder of the ring free to move. Then using parallel action pliers grab hold of the ring just shy of the mark and give it a gental wobble and the iron will break.

At this point the ring is flexible and we need to open it up and give the ring its set. I do this by clipping the rings round a bit of gash steel. Hanging them in a gap between some heat reflectors on the hearth and gently warming them. You want them to heat evenly and slowly as they set they will drop from the steel onto the hearth surface then leave to cool. After Dave's suggestion of Choc Ices the other day I have decided to see if they are an appropriate cooling timing device :P

Edit: It would seem it was  ;D and other than some silly idiot  :slap: trying to get one of the centre rings into place in one step which broke one IP ring and the workshop gnome trying to sneak the spare HP ring down a gap between the Hearth bricks  :ShakeHead: I have a full set of rings on pistons

Jo
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:04:08 PM by Jo »

Offline picks27t

« Reply #789 on: August 26, 2016, 11:07:29 PM »
Ft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #790 on: August 27, 2016, 07:40:29 AM »
Do I assume that they won't be comming off again?

Must admit I prefere to get all the other work done first as it is easier to check things are rotating freely with no tight spots when you don't have the drag of new rings to contend with. You can then easily run the engine in on air and finally fit the rings on final assembly once painted.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #791 on: August 31, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
Don't know.

The inspection covers... I should have made that new pocket 16mm deep rather than 15 as the edge of the thread on the inspection cover rubs so if you don't have a plug tap it might get pushed sideways as it goes through. On one of the cylinders it was necessary to under cut the flange to provide space for the inspection cover. All had to have the surfaced faced flat.

I've started on the slide bars  :( there are so many variables in this  :( One down, two to go.

An I noticed a couple of ducks came visiting and left me a little something  :naughty:

And  ::) Mr Silky did a quality inspection on his new crankshaft jig but it did not cut mustard with him  :ShakeHead: so he decided it needed another skim

Jo

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #792 on: August 31, 2016, 05:03:30 PM »
Matt Duck...... any relation to Donald?

::)

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #793 on: September 02, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »
Where is that Keats casting from? I think that it will be too big for me  :(

Still following along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #794 on: September 02, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »
Thanks Roger  :),

Where is that Keats casting from? I think that it will be too big for me  :(

:embarassed: It was in a mixed bag of castings on Fleabay.

As you will have guessed I only bid because wanted that plate, I just had to accept it came with some more orphaned model engine castings  :shrug:

Jo
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:50:38 PM by Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal