Author Topic: Triple Orphans  (Read 216527 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Triple Orphans
« Reply #765 on: August 24, 2016, 07:12:51 AM »
Yes that looks like the beastie I have just acquired  ;D

Must try to be good and leave it alone  :slap: and get on with the Orphans.

The other little distractions that came in the box include a Clarkson Vertical and a Twin Horizontal both without their valve chests and the Horizontal its crosshead guide thankfully all missing parts are easy to make from bar stock. And some odds and ends from a smaller bronze cylindered engine that I hope to have identified tomorrow when I pick up the drawings for the engines  ;).

Jo

P.S. I can't see myself doing the horizontal twin so it is open to offers.
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #766 on: August 24, 2016, 07:33:00 AM »
Interesting plumbing on that Horz twin, should suit you as I don't think it will run like that :LittleDevil:

Is the Horz one that Blackgates now do as they may be able to supply castings if the next owner did not want to cut from solid.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #767 on: August 24, 2016, 07:50:19 AM »
Yes Blackgates were doing the single cylinder Horizontal of this engine for £84 at the Bristol show and are willing to provide odd castings if people want them. This one is the Clarkson "Compound" which is two of the single cylinders together as shown in the photo.

:headscratch: No I think it is connected to the exhaust on the left hand engine and there is a flange for the air input just in front  of the exhaust connection  ;)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #768 on: August 24, 2016, 09:28:21 AM »
Drilling the boxes is a simple task. But if you look at where it has to mount you realise that the drawing is not correct  :disappointed: it does not show that the side has to be cut away to fit around the HP cylinder cover and if you put the gland studs where it shows on the drawing it breaks through the side of the casting  :facepalm2: .

One done two more to file to shape and Lucky's original is going in the reject box  ;)

Jo

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #769 on: August 24, 2016, 10:23:29 AM »
Hi Jo,
 Still following
Still enjoying
And best still, still learning!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #770 on: August 24, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
Thanks Kerrin  :)

The tops of the water pump come as that chucking piece I was using to hold the pump to turn its base. Having cut it off and turned the threaded part to 9.53mm diameter. I decided to let Sexy polish the hexes on the top of the cover before returning it to Mr Silky to turn to length, threaded them and finally used a ball nosed cutter to make a 8mm diameter recess in the bottom of the covers.

At this point I decided it was time to have a tidy up on the bench and  I found another two castings for the Orphans  ::). In the meantime Tgs had found a casting of his own. :thinking: This may not be a bad idea if he does that for Mr Silky the two of them may begin to be a bit more friendly towards each other.
But he is going to have to wait as I have turned the lights out on him for this evening and will be away tomorrow spending money  :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #771 on: August 24, 2016, 07:16:43 PM »
You just couldn't stand it could you?  :lolb:

The engines are continuing to look great BTW.

:cheers:
Dave

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #772 on: August 24, 2016, 07:35:35 PM »
Hi Jo, the last family shot of all the bits and pieces is impressive.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #773 on: August 24, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »
Jo, I haven't said much : damned impressed I am,  however,  I must confess,  this is almost like a machining version of what us hippies did on the riverbank in the early '70's :naughty: :mischief: :lolb: :Jester: :lolb:

Big E

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #774 on: August 24, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »
You just couldn't stand it could you?  :lolb:

:-X  I blame Tgs: He saw me fondling those castings yesterday and thought he wanting some of that  ::)

Thanks Achim, actually there more parts to these engines just out of the shot. I am looking forward to putting them together to get my bench back  ;)

however,  I must confess,  this is almost like a machining version of what us hippies did on the riverbank in the early '70's :naughty: :mischief: :lolb: :Jester: :lolb:

Not sure what the hippies did back in the 70's I will have to ask my mother when I see her next :noidea:  My sister was born around '74,  does that have something to do with it  :???: My father says she was caused by too much alcohol at a party, which might account for why she is tea total all she ever does is what she calls "Red Coke"  :ShakeHead:

I will be so pleased when these are finally done  :cheers:

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #775 on: August 24, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »
Jo, I haven't said much : damned impressed I am,  however,  I must confess,  this is almost like a machining version of what us hippies did on the riverbank in the early '70's :naughty: :mischief: :lolb: :Jester: :lolb:

Big E

Explains a lot.   I think you were Kansas Whiskey until the, um... , Incident!   :lolb:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #776 on: August 25, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »
Sorry no work on the Orphans today  :-\ I've been acquiring some goodies:

I got to fondle a set of Clarkson Cross Compound engine castings to see what was missing from the set I posted the other day and  :facepalm2: Oh dear:   I have never seen casting with their chucking pieces so far off set as the covers were, the Trunk Guides were undersized and by the time someone had bored to diameter you wouldn't have wanted to drop it on the floor it was that thin. The consensus is that other than the missing piece of cast Iron tube to make the winding drum out of and the steam chests, this set probably has all the castings in it that you would actually want to use, the others would have been " too much of a challenge". And I have drawings, and it was agreed that this casting set is for the twin cylinder rather than the cross compound, they just need a new home  ;)

Material wise I can now choose from a few other engines to build once these are finished and an under loved BCA boring head that needs some TLC   :embarassed:

Work on the Triples will resume shortly after I have fondled all of the casting sets that I now have crankshaft and cylinder materials for  :mischief:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #777 on: August 25, 2016, 06:35:15 PM »
Look at all that barstock, we will soon have you weaned of those nasty castings :LittleDevil:

Did you get an ID on the little gun metal one?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #778 on: August 25, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
All of those have matching sets of castings :pinkelephant:

No but I have a better idea of what it builds up to so it will be a second that I will be giving away to a new home  ;)

Jo

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #779 on: August 25, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »
Well, she'll have to buy oversized stock  because her drawings are proven to inconsistently incorrect  :facepalm:

Big E

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal