Author Topic: Triple Orphans  (Read 214819 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Triple Orphans
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 07:50:25 PM »
Strangely enough I found a gash casting that was destined for a better life that is being made into plugs  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 05:29:13 PM »
 :thinking: Two Sole plates.

The first job is to see what we have. The upper pencil measurements are the new casting, the lower Lucky 3's. Initially it does not look to bad. Ignoring that horrible, horrible bit where they took the bearing boss off on the outside of the sole plate which will be hidden behind one of the reject eccentrics  ::)

Part of the problem with those crank fastner holes is that they put them on 19mm centres instead of the correct measurement  :-\

Once you add the datum lines it is obvious that the biggest problem by far is that the crank bearing holes have not been machined square to the casting and one end is 1mm out of line with the casting :ShakeHead:

It is looking like a case of plug the horrors and leave them while the Loctite sets good and solid :).

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »
So whats the plan of attack?

Mill along all four bearing housings to straighten them up to fit oversize bearings, then at the same setting drill for the keeps and standards off the new centre line.

I won't ask if the holes in the cylinder match either the drawing or existing base holes ::)

Did you just plug the wonky holes or bore out the whole boss and set in new plugs to the proper co-ordinates so the holes end up central to the boss

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Take some more of this medicine  :wine1: and hope to get some sleep so that I start to feel a bit better so that I can safely make swarf again  ::).

Then the plan is to do the bungs as I mentioned ;)

Just started to look at the cylinder  :facepalm2:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »
So the cylinder isn't horrible. It has at least one tapered bore :Doh: All the bores need honing. The screws holding the two cylinder halves together have been inserted the wrong way round but that won't be seen once the cover is on...

Its those nasty randomly placed holes for the columns  :stickpoke:. I don't want to loose too much metal so I am half tempted to open them out a little and make a sort of combined sleeve/washer and JB Weld them into place.

As for the crankshaft: it is not as straight as it could be  :ShakeHead: I was thinking of trying to machine the crank both using the forged casting and a piece of round bar. Sadly it looks like I might be forced to do just that  :-\

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »
 :thinking: The underside of Lucky 3's base has been levelled in the same way I was told to do mine and needs a shim under the corner.  That is not going to be clever when it comes to clamping it down for machining.  And it doesn't fit well between the Tee slots on my Mill: it will probably need a jig  ;)

Clamped securely a pointer was used to indicate the casting square.

Then using the datum lines (see previous drawing) the fastner holes were milled out to 5mm to a depth of 8mm.  :-\ Well four were  :( the other four still had the thread showing in the side of the hole so had to be taken out another .5mm. Which then meant that the holes fell through the side of the out of line bearing holes  :facepalm:

The holes for the pillars were drilled using a 7mm three flute cutter and then the casting turned over (yes it rocks  :disappointed:) and counter bored to a depth of 1.6mm at 10.5mm diameter. This will stop the slugs being pulled through  :ThumbsUp: and give a nice flat surface for the nuts to clamp against  ;D

Which just leaves me with a little bit of easy turning to fill the holes. If you notice all are over length and will stick proud of the casting.

:thinking: I am tempted to go and mill the underside flat all the way along on both sides. Let me go and look at the drawing...

Edit: I cheated and looked at photo's of other engines and yes all of them have milled both sides flat  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:18:35 PM by Jo »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »
Good work there Jo

should this thread be retitled as "Resurrection and Reuse"  :cartwheel:

Hope you are feeling better now you have had your fix of Fe to bolster your haemoglobin levels

Stuart

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »
Looks like that large dose of  :wine1: lastnight did the trick

If its still upside down I think I would be tempted to skim the bottom pads flat, that way it will be nice and solid when up the right way so you can skim off all the tops and protruding plugs to one level, a reference cut along the sides will be usefull too.

You asked me the other day what to put on your list to Santa, maybe this would fit in your stocking?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:55:40 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »
Thanks Stuart, sadly I have what they what they call a 100 day cough and I am only on day 35  :(

I've had a little skim. It had to be with a carbide tool as it had a few chilled spots  :ShakeHead: So both sole plates now have their bottoms flat.

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 03:55:56 PM »
100 day cough eh

by ek thats a lot of hacking and barking

Gran used to swear by a mix of red onion slices steeped in brown sugar ( not tired it )

but this should do the trick but only if you like garlic ( no cosying up but castings are ok as is Mr Sliky )

this is the stuff
https://www.theindependentpharmacy.co.uk/medicines/cough-cold-flu/cough/liqufruta-garlic-cough-medicine/

but this is not bad ether but a bit more sociable
Gees linctus is the stuff but its a bit fierce on the palette
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/25267
boots sell it

I am not talking about casting hard spots had to ask the local foundry to put one though their Lear to sort it donation to the beer fund duly made not its like butter

Stuart
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:12:51 PM by Stuart »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
Gran used to swear by a mix of red onion slices steeped in brown sugar ( not tired it )

I could try that: I grew red onions this year. I like onions  :)

( no cosying up but castings are ok as is Mr Silky )

:hellno: I had a couple of offers over the last few days to give me a chest rub claiming it would help but I was not convinced that I would be the one that it would make feel better  :ShakeHead:

As they say: Nothing ventured, nothing gained (except the chest rub :hellno: I'll stick to the  :wine1: and the casting fondling)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
Hi Stuart, I tried the crunchy raw red onions. I did seem to feel better this morning  :) I was told today of my grandmother's cure which required you put two whole raw eggs (in their shells) in vinegar and sugar. I think they mentioned putting it in the fridge  :headscratch: You then waited for the vinegar to dissolve the egg shells, then whisk and bottle it for use. I have decided that it is better as I don't know the amount of vinegar or sugar that I give that one a miss  ;)

The holes are all plugged. The CI is held in with Loctite 601, the BMS with 601 on the main shafts and JB weld around the flanges and to help form a curve around them. They are all now sitting in the warm to set.

This will be the last post in this thread for a while. I needed to get the base ready and the bungs in place so they have plenty of time to go off before we come back to these engines in a few weeks  ;)

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »
Happy to be of service ma'am 😘

Stuart

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 05:35:36 PM »
Dearest Jo, I know you think my modeling skills are not to be considered genuine,  however,  when it comes to staying healthy without spending moths to support the Drs. country and hunting club dues,exotic sports cars, and the wife's "uplift surgery" I resort to natural treatments.  Try treating yourself as if you were diabetic for a week or so,  bacteria feeds off of sugar.  The crap in your lungs is nothing more than concentrated bacteria.  Simply,  just stop feeding it. It may not cure you, but,  it will help.

Big E

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »
Dearest Jo, I know you think my modeling skills are not to be considered genuine,

I don't know what I may have said to make you think that way but what ever it was I apologise I did not mean it to be taken in that way   :-[

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal