Author Topic: Triple Orphans  (Read 214823 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Triple Orphans
« Reply #990 on: February 06, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »
Thanks Robin.

I did look at my later drawings and they are like those that JB showed. But my original drawing, which were converted to modern measurements years ago, showed the smaller size and that was the same as the measurements on Lucky's parts so I had no reason to question them....

I noticed one person put brass/bronze spaces on their links to  provide a bit of extra space for the screws & nuts. I did think about doing it that way but I'll try the shorter bolts/thin nuts first as they look more in scale  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #991 on: March 04, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
Despite offering new castings/engines to be picked up on Wednesday negotiations for another set of castings have failed  :( so I am back on the orphans. Today is status review day.

• No 1 had its base repainted is the bluer shade of Duck Egg blue and had started being re-assembled  :thinking: I might take it apart again.
  • No 2 was mid way through its colour change and needed another squirt of top coat to hide some of the bits that did not cover well first time. The parts seem to be on the bench but there are a lot of nuts kicking around  :noidea:
  • No 3 was still in the horrible green shade of Duck egg blue green  :facepalm2: so needed disassembling a bit of masking and has just started being primed before the respray.

The parts all seem to be there  :)

There is plenty to keep me busy with this lot until at least Thursday when I will try negotiating for some more castings, in the meantime I wonder if the paint has dried on the Bell crank engine  :paranoia:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #992 on: March 06, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »
Further casting negotiation have failed  :disappointed: Surus does not accept that his latest casting set is a "full set of castings" he wants to know where the rest is and even providing him a sample cylinder head to show the missing bits it can be made of bar stock did not work  :ShakeHead: so I will have to continue with the Triple Orphans and the Bell Crank engine  :-\

Jo

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #993 on: March 06, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »
What engines are you working on here? Today's post shows what appears to be a multiple cylinder engine (maybe IC) where the 4 Dec post seems to be a triple expansion steam engine. Maybe long-time list members know the code about the people you mention but short timers like me have no idea what these posts are all about. :shrug:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #994 on: March 06, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
I am building my three Stuart Triples on this thread.

The latest pics are a casting set I acquired today and was hoping to exchange for another set of engine castings out of "the collection" (which is held by Surus   :pinkelephant: ) rather than having to work on the Triples which failed  :( so I am back working on the Triples again  :toilet_claw:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #995 on: March 07, 2019, 11:43:31 PM »
 I can understand surus' dilemma, looks like a nice set of manifold castings, but what for ??

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #996 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:39 AM »
While Surus is sat infront of the laptop it would be a good idea to encourage him to start a new thread of his own exclusively about his ongoing casting collection rather rather than have him spread the castings over several threads which just confuses the casual observer.

Bill look in the bell crank thread for more clues

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #997 on: March 08, 2019, 07:59:31 AM »
Bill it is a Bentley BR2 set, with a couple of spare elbows  :)

While Surus is sat infront of the laptop it would be a good idea to encourage him to start a new thread of his own exclusively about his ongoing casting collection rather rather than have him spread the castings over several threads which just confuses the casual observer.

It would be a long and slow process as he carefully checks each casting set as they came out/are returned, only one is allowed out at a time  ::) and he is not very proficient with a keyboard. He also sees letting people know what he has in his collection might be a security risk as it may result in an offer for one that I can't refuse or that I might think I can take them out to the workshop... Thursday night is ok as he knows I have a workshop ban in place until the morning which gives him time to put them away again  :-\

Think of the pics of the latest acquisitions of castings in my build threads as photos of my day out/excuses for delayed process in the engine builds. Those posts seems to get more reaction from the members reading these threads than the actual engine builds progress which are getting boring :disappointed:

Jo
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:03:12 AM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #998 on: August 02, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »
Joy of joys I really need to get on with these  :-\  Over the last little long while I have been putting the assembly off post painting  :ShakeHead: As normal the paint is too thick and it needs to be scraped off to let the bits go back together, its painful  :disappointed: Finally we have three Orphans whose bottom ends can go round and round  :) So now we can start thinking about fitting their top ends to the bottom ends.

The first feature to be found was that the HP piston rod hits the bottom of the cylinder cover  :facepalm: This could be that something somewhere is too long or that the drawing should have shown a recess on the bottom of the cover for the rod - I will probably go with the recess.

The more interesting feature is trying to get the cross heads to run smoothly. At the moment the HP runs true, the IP and LP are slightly off. This is not just a case of spacing the guide bars over as we also have to take into account the two guides which are threaded onto the top of the air pump and the water pump  :thinking:

Maybe those studs were more interesting to do after all  :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #999 on: August 02, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
Jo, for future engiens you may want to mask off any mating surfaces as it is far easier to peel off a bit of tape than scratch away paint though don't leave masking tape on for long periods of time as it then becomes hard to remove the glue.

The drawings that I have show a recess in all the cylinder covers.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #1000 on: August 02, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
... don't leave masking tape on for long periods of time as it then becomes hard to remove the glue.

There is special masking tape which doesn't get hard to remove (within 1-2 moths or so) . It's a bit more expensive but if you need to cover something for longer than the curing time of your paint, its definitely worth it.
The one I know is called "UV resistant masking tape" (from Tesa) and it is blue: https://www.tesa.com/en/craftsmen/tesa-professional-4435.html

Florian

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #1001 on: August 02, 2019, 02:40:48 PM »
That's a hugely impressive" engine works" photo of the triples on your bench, Jo, a machinery addict's dream  ( maybe nightmare ! )
 I will note for the future, ( re. my set of castings ),  your conclusion as to whether you have found any discrepancies in the Stuart drawing that has led to the piston and crosshead nuisances. ( But does this perhaps just relate to your orphans having necessarily included, to some extent, the workmanship of other and less capable hands?  )   Dave

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #1002 on: August 22, 2019, 12:36:02 AM »

Bill look in the bell crank thread for more clues

GASP :o you actually allow Sirius to use your computer?  I sincerely hope you guard your credit cards carefully, or else you might find that Sirius has a whole host of castings stashed away of which you are totally unaware!  :lolb:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #1003 on: August 22, 2019, 07:09:12 AM »
GASP :o you actually allow Sirius to use your computer?  I sincerely hope you guard your credit cards carefully, or else you might find that Sirius has a whole host of castings stashed away of which you are totally unaware!  :lolb:

I thought it was safe and would keep him occupied but then he found Fleabay and that anything he bid on he could charge to my cards  :facepalm: He managed to win one set before I learnt to lock down my computer when I leave it  ::)

:thinking: I must finish these off they are taking up a lot of space.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #1004 on: September 29, 2019, 05:08:23 PM »
I've been getting complaints that I have not finished these engines. Over the last couple of days I have been doing a bit more assembling. I discovered that what I thought was a bag of Stuart 7BA studs for the Steam chests is actually a random bag of studs so I have even more studs to play with in my future  :(

Piecing the engine together shows up any miss alignments as each slight difference adds up over the engine, especially trying to get the cross heads which also drive the air pump and water pump to line up with the threads in the crosshead castings. The cross head castings are tight on the nuts so I had to make a special box spanner for them. Of course having found a fault there is a lot of dismantling required to extract the part for repair. In the case of lucky one of the screw holes for the slide bar did not line up  :ShakeHead: So that required the Casting to be removed, the hole plugged and silver soldered and another hole drilled.

Lucky and Duo are now going round and round and up and down leaving Numero Uno. Which has the bottom of its slide bar too close at the top so to avoid a total strip down the bottom cover was slid out and the top filed down by the required 0.25mm.

Next job is to gain 1.5mm at the bottom on that dreaded casting but moving the bottom of the bar over is going to move the threaded hole that is to drive the pump over  :toilet_claw:

Actually I am enjoying this assembling and its challenges :headscratch:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal