Author Topic: Triple Orphans  (Read 159239 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Triple Orphans
« Reply #990 on: February 06, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »
Thanks Robin.

I did look at my later drawings and they are like those that JB showed. But my original drawing, which were converted to modern measurements years ago, showed the smaller size and that was the same as the measurements on Lucky's parts so I had no reason to question them....

I noticed one person put brass/bronze spaces on their links to  provide a bit of extra space for the screws & nuts. I did think about doing it that way but I'll try the shorter bolts/thin nuts first as they look more in scale  :)

Jo
Usus est optimum magister

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #991 on: March 04, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
Despite offering new castings/engines to be picked up on Wednesday negotiations for another set of castings have failed  :( so I am back on the orphans. Today is status review day.

• No 1 had its base repainted is the bluer shade of Duck Egg blue and had started being re-assembled  :thinking: I might take it apart again.
  • No 2 was mid way through its colour change and needed another squirt of top coat to hide some of the bits that did not cover well first time. The parts seem to be on the bench but there are a lot of nuts kicking around  :noidea:
  • No 3 was still in the horrible green shade of Duck egg blue green  :facepalm2: so needed disassembling a bit of masking and has just started being primed before the respray.

The parts all seem to be there  :)

There is plenty to keep me busy with this lot until at least Thursday when I will try negotiating for some more castings, in the meantime I wonder if the paint has dried on the Bell crank engine  :paranoia:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #992 on: March 06, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »
Further casting negotiation have failed  :disappointed: Surus does not accept that his latest casting set is a "full set of castings" he wants to know where the rest is and even providing him a sample cylinder head to show the missing bits it can be made of bar stock did not work  :ShakeHead: so I will have to continue with the Triple Orphans and the Bell Crank engine  :-\

Jo

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #993 on: March 06, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »
What engines are you working on here? Today's post shows what appears to be a multiple cylinder engine (maybe IC) where the 4 Dec post seems to be a triple expansion steam engine. Maybe long-time list members know the code about the people you mention but short timers like me have no idea what these posts are all about. :shrug:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #994 on: March 06, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
I am building my three Stuart Triples on this thread.

The latest pics are a casting set I acquired today and was hoping to exchange for another set of engine castings out of "the collection" (which is held by Surus   :pinkelephant: ) rather than having to work on the Triples which failed  :( so I am back working on the Triples again  :toilet_claw:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #995 on: March 07, 2019, 11:43:31 PM »
 I can understand surus' dilemma, looks like a nice set of manifold castings, but what for ??

Bill

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #996 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:39 AM »
While Surus is sat infront of the laptop it would be a good idea to encourage him to start a new thread of his own exclusively about his ongoing casting collection rather rather than have him spread the castings over several threads which just confuses the casual observer.

Bill look in the bell crank thread for more clues

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #997 on: March 08, 2019, 07:59:31 AM »
Bill it is a Bentley BR2 set, with a couple of spare elbows  :)

While Surus is sat infront of the laptop it would be a good idea to encourage him to start a new thread of his own exclusively about his ongoing casting collection rather rather than have him spread the castings over several threads which just confuses the casual observer.

It would be a long and slow process as he carefully checks each casting set as they came out/are returned, only one is allowed out at a time  ::) and he is not very proficient with a keyboard. He also sees letting people know what he has in his collection might be a security risk as it may result in an offer for one that I can't refuse or that I might think I can take them out to the workshop... Thursday night is ok as he knows I have a workshop ban in place until the morning which gives him time to put them away again  :-\

Think of the pics of the latest acquisitions of castings in my build threads as photos of my day out/excuses for delayed process in the engine builds. Those posts seems to get more reaction from the members reading these threads than the actual engine builds progress which are getting boring :disappointed:

Jo
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:03:12 AM by Jo »