Author Topic: Triple Orphans  (Read 214798 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Triple Orphans
« Reply #1020 on: October 08, 2019, 04:19:48 PM »
The problem with Russian iron is that it is not very thick so all that Jo may have had is now red oxide powder as once the two special coatings meet in the middle there is not much left :LittleDevil:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #1021 on: October 10, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »
The steam transfer pipes need to be accurately and repeatably bent. The answer to achieve this is to make a suitable bender and some guides.
Having made the bender my first experiment flattened the pipe  :facepalm: For the second attempt I annealed the copper pipe first and it came out a lot better. Now all I have to do is get the spacing between the holes right and I should be able to bend up the pipes  :)

But that will be another day as someone has found a box of model engine castings and some casting fondling lubricant  :wine1: 

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #1022 on: October 10, 2019, 05:03:04 PM »

But that will be another day as someone has found a box of model engine castings and some casting fondling lubricant  :wine1: 

Jo

My oh my ... Thirsty Thursday soon comes around doesn't it ...   :lolb:  Had mine last night. Just a can of lager tonight ...  :DrinkPint:

Nice bit of tubing bending  :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #1023 on: October 11, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
Having got my calculations right for the centres of the two bending pullies it was a case of cutting three bits of thick wall copper tube to 65mm long and to bend them tight round the jig. And tight is the word: the pipe had to be prised off of the two bending pullies. The ends needed a little tap with a hammer to bring them back circular.

Three pipes have been bent up and the first fitted to Numero Uno  :) .

The bending jig has had the second pulley moved out and the pipes have been annealed so it is time to start bending up the second transfer pipe  :paranoia: .

Edit: and the other set proved to be just as quick and easy with the bender  :cartwheel:

Jo
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:42:30 PM by Jo »

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #1024 on: October 11, 2019, 01:50:43 PM »
Lovely work with that bender Jo and the pipes look great.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1025 on: October 11, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »
Great result Jo and it shows that the right tools do work wonders  :ThumbsUp:  even if you had to make the tool yourself.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #1026 on: October 13, 2019, 03:57:24 PM »
Thanks Mike and Per  :)

More progress, more slow progress today, lots of calculations for the measurements needed before I could start :-\ The cylinder was mounted up in the small milling vice, which hand to be packed out as the studs are already fitted and levelling up the cylinder had to be done with a square off the port surface.

I have milled the two ends down by the thickness of the cladding so that the cladding will come level with the steam chests. Milled the surfaces for the intermediate pipes so that all the heights match the pipe offsets. Then starting from the HP end drilled and tapped for the studs for the pipe flanges. Making sure that the pipes and their flanges fitted on the way. The pipes still need soldering together - I might use the cylinder as a jig for that :noidea:

Before taking the cylinder out of the small vice I took the opportunity to drill and tap for the blow downs, only to find that my 5/32 by 32 plug tap had been hand ground  from a first or second and it had not been ground evenly  :facepalm: This is where it comes in handy having an old cutter grinder hiding in the corner as by holding the tap in a collet you can evenly grind it round and finish off with a diamond file to sharpen the edges of the teeth.

I can report that the first side of the first engine has been fully drilled, tapped and milled there is still likely to be a bit of shaping required to get the cladding to fit but enough excitement for today. I get the feeling these are going to take all week  :toilet_claw:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #1027 on: October 13, 2019, 04:09:44 PM »
They are coming together, think the cylinder may draw too much heat from the work to get a good silver solder joint. If you made a note of the DRO settings when drilling it should be easy to knock up a jig.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #1028 on: October 15, 2019, 06:23:16 PM »
Having milled the other side of the two port faces to width it was then necessary to work on the outside profile. My aim is to get the outside so that it looks to be even either side of the cylinder covers.

The other challenge is the mounting lugs which thankfully are over sized so by using a filing guide each of the lugs can be taken down so that they look even

I might be at a stage when I can start the cladding for the first engine  :thinking:

Jo

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1029 on: October 15, 2019, 09:12:36 PM »
Looking good Jo.. :popcorn:   Regards   Terry

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #1030 on: October 16, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
That's some nice pipework  :praise2: I found I had to reanneal the pipes mid bend for the exhaust on my two cylinder engine. I used I squeeze in the vice rather than a tap with a hammer to get them back to round.  :wine1:

Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #1031 on: October 17, 2019, 05:27:50 PM »
Thanks Terry and Roger  :)

Before putting the covers on I needed to put the central valve in place, this means taking apart the two halves of the cylinder block. As expected there was swarf in the steam chest. I also had a poke into the ports to find they were full of casting sand. This was cleaned out using a high pressure air line - something I don't like doing as the muck goes everywhere  :ShakeHead:

Putting the cylinder back together needs the top surface to be smooth so the screws were tightened up while the cylinder was kept in place with a clamp.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #1032 on: October 17, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »
Finally I could start work on the cladding:

A pattern was made using postits and I decided to start with the relatively easier one the one with only one flange to mount round.

I hand cut the gland hole and finished with a file. I also got out the Hagner to see if I could get that to cut slowly and in a straight line  :paranoia: In the past I have found that it has a habit of grabbing hold of a bit of Ali and rattling it around. This time I tried cutting it on top of a piece of brown stuff and found it made a world of difference  :ThumbsUp:

Working out from the flange each of the clearances for the mounting lugs were cut then the cladding was clamped into place so that the positions of the bends could be found and then bent.

I have been investigating what type of screws I had that I could use to mount the cladding and I have not got any 8BA domed head screws  :facepalm: so I am going to have to consider alternatives  :noidea:

One piece of cladding down, 5 to go  :lolb:  :toilet_claw:

Jo

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #1033 on: October 17, 2019, 11:33:37 PM »
So you're using CAD?  Y'know - Cardboard Assisted Design?

:D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal