Author Topic: Mill engine  (Read 13341 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Mill engine
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:14:37 PM »
I started this mill engine by Patrick J Verner a little while ago, just a bit each day. I thought I would take some pics of the parts I have made so far. I'm making them from scrap I have laying around for example the flywheel was an old 5kg dumbell weight (old Aussie made). Anyway here the pics of where I'm at for now.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Mill engine
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
That looks to be a sizeable engine Pete!! Looks like you have a lot of the parts made already too. Is there s picture anywhere of the finished engine that will result from your work?

Bill

Offline Pete49

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:27:06 AM »
I agree it looks like a fair size but like eating a whale just 1 piece at a time. :Lol: The only picture of this engine I have seen is in the plans. I will upload them here as they are public domain when they were  on steamengines.org. If not OK the admin can remove them. I can't link the website as its long gone unfortunately.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Pete49

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:45:58 AM »
And once again I show up as an old fool. Its a beam engine not a mill engine  :hammerbash: The mill engine is on the waiting list depending how this on goes (my capabilities) Please accept my apologies :NotWorthy:
Pete

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
They used beam engines in Mills Pete....it's all good!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »
whew saved again .... :whoohoo: Thanks Dave. Heres a picture of the engine
Pete

Offline Pete49

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:10:06 AM »
OOPS :Doh: I attached the wrong pic should have been the beam engine not the mill eng. I have attached the correct pic

Well I struck a problem with the engine in as much as I couldn't see how the d valve was going to work and had me at a standstill ands just before I asked here it came to me. The plans show the rod working the d valve as a 1.38" 1/4' diam and the steam chest has a .188' diam hole for the rod to go through, the same as the hole through the d valve :facepalm: Now the rod has been remade with a extra .5" length @ .188" and all is good again. Pics to follow.
Pete
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:14:07 AM by Pete49 »

Offline Pete49

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
but today Murphy came and visited :wallbang: Just starting to put bits together and find I have to make a new cylinder  :insane: oh well back to the drawing board...errr plans  :embarassed:
Pete

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »
What got buggered with your cylinder Pete? Perhaps there is a simple fix (relative) that can be done that will save you from starting from scratch again.

BC1
Jim

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
Yep, tell all Pete, there could be a simple work around
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »
What the other fellows said, Pete.  Tell us your troubles.  Someone may know a way to make it right without starting over.  Two (or six) heads are better than one.
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline Pete49

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 03:19:47 AM »
Went to bolt the cylinder head on and find the cylinder is off centre and all the tapped holes for the steam chest are out of whack by half a hole  :hammerbash: Luckily the cylinder block is aluminium so can be melted down  :ThumbsUp: I might look for some brass to make it out of as it says in the plans, just a matter of finding some close to the size I need but not heading to Adelaide in the near future so may be a little while before I get back to it. Other than that I fell I have done a reasonable job on it so far and with only 1 major stuff up so I'm in front  :Lol:
Pete

Offline Pete49

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
Looks like this build will be on hold for some time.I was trying to fathom the way the slide valve was going to work when I got a pm from a member here letting me know there was a guy that had the answer and supplied the link. I have emailed him but no answer in a week so I'll wait and hope I get a reply. I have other things to amuse me so I'll find a box to put it in for now.
Pete

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
Hey Pete,

don't stop now.....show us the drawing and we'll sort it out....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
Post the cylinder, the valve, the eccentric, make sure the steam ports on the cylinder are shown....

Dave

Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back