Author Topic: Dude, you're so square  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Dude, you're so square
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:53:56 PM »
Well folks, here we go. I found this little project on YouTube and the fellow said: "here's you a project you can work on at home", so I am. These are really cute 2" & 3" 45 squares. They are much like a carpenter's "speed squares". They will be hardened and ground and checked with all that measuring kit that I purchased. I decided to start with the 2" and let me just say; I never dreamed of the holding issues and the order of operations required to make a simple darn square piece and cut it in half :smokin2: :facepalm:. They will be matched sets and mirrored in design. I've finally have the first set ready for the oven. I'll post a few pics and try to explain.
I decided to use two vices. one on a 45 and one square to the table. The 45 vise is for milling down the hippopotnoose :lolb: Like that one don't you Marv?

It was back and forth between the two vices to thin and cut out the webs, which creates the fences.

And here's where we are.

And here's their next stop.

Next will be the grinding in pairs. Thanks for stopping in and y"all come back to see us now ya hear.

Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Dude, you're so square
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:59:37 PM »
I saw the title of your post and thought you were talking about me!  :lolb:

Looks like a fun little project.

Dave

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »
The one time that anyone needed a rotary base for a vise.
Guess you could put the vise on a rotary table??

They are looking good. Do the remnants of mozzarella and sausage from the pizza in the oven affect the hardening? :lolb:
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 10:47:11 PM »
Looks like a "square"  project to me.  :lolb: Love the oven and how big is it by the way? Dog I will tag alone just to see how this episode ends.

Big Dog

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 11:02:24 PM »
Saweeeeeet!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:53:12 PM »
Nice oven Cletus! Fine looking project too. I am looking forward to seeing how the hardening goes, and the grinding after that. Got yourself a hardness tester yet?

Bill

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 12:08:58 AM »
I think he will "jest" use his head...  :facepalm:   :lolb: :wallbang:

Will the inside portion of the web be made to precision specs as well? I was thinking that the inside angles could be used to check perpendicularity of square and rectangular stock, and the 45 degree angles might be useful as well. I'm probably overthinking it and adding complexity, perhaps trying to make an all-purpose combination tool out of it. Maybe  :stir: ?

Nice work  :praise2:

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 02:08:03 AM »
Thanks guys. Paul, I'm guessing about RC 55-58, I'm thinking the old head is at least a 62 :lolb:. Yes,  the "fences" will be ground square.  The idea behind the 2" square is you will be able to hang it on the jaw of a 6" vise and set the part square or flip the square,  and set the workpiece to a 45. Bill, I'm right proud of my oven. No Rockwell tester as of yet.  DOG and I tried to hire a woodpecker today with no success, however,  if I can get to my shotgun fast enough next time,  he'll quit pecking on our cedar house  ( That ain't a joke either :Mad:) Vern, you don't know,  as a somewhat professional cook,  how bad I've been tempted on the pizza.  Here's another little foodie secret;  at almost all of your "upscale" steakhouses, i.e., The Palm, Ruth's Chris, and most local high end favorites , the steaks are cooked on a rack in a seriously hot oven.  The rack gives the grill marks and the oven seals the outside and brings the juicy middle to "melt in your mouth tender " in just a few minutes.  Don, the oven is about 13" wide x 13" deep and almost 9" inches tall. You can program that sucker to do all sorts of things.  You can tell it your cost per kilowatt and it will tell you how much you just spent to treat the part  :facepalm:. Dave O, your hexes are too pretty to ever be square  :lolb: :lolb:. BTW, should I put them in a foil pouch before hardening?  I've only treated one punch so far and didn't use the pouch, very ltitle scale.  When I dropped it in the quench,  it left a nice patina in the knurl, but,  this will all be ground anyway.  I don't want keep any of y'all up, so, I'm gonna get ready for bed.  See ya and thanks for looking and commenting.

Cletus

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 03:13:27 AM »
if you're leaving .010" or so for grind all over, I wouldn't worry too much about foil pouches.....The foil is expensive.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Edward

• Stanmore, Middlesex UK
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
These remind me of the Bar-Z squares that Stan sells - he has a few videos on his channel of making, treating and grinding his. The 'Basementshopguy' channel also has some videos of grinding similar squares.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »
Looking good Cletus, can't wait to see how you engrave all the angles onto those mini speed squares :LittleDevil:

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
I'd send them out for laser engraving. They use a .pdf file to control the laser. Lines over .001" will engrave. Cutting lines are exactly .001" (at least for the Epilog laser units)
Wait! Maybe that's the next use for Cletus' AMEX points.
Best,
Stan

Offline kvom

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
I didn't take the heat-treat course at school, but I did see it in action when others were making 123 blocks.  They didn't use foil wrap and quenched in oil.  Afterwards the blocks were put in a secondary oven at a lower temp.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »
Thanks for stopping in guys. Dave, as this a new endeavor, I left plenty for grinding. kvom, the punch didn't carb bad at all without foil, I think maybe the O1 isn't as bad as other metals :shrug:. I'm using Mobil 1 to quench and it seemed to do really well. Jason, no angles, but, I did think about some type of engraving. Vern, I guess now I'll get a link to a nice, stupidly expensive, engraving machine ;D :stir:. I've got to mill some slots in a couple of my new non-magnetic parallels for the grinding and you know that feeling you get when you have to modify a new bit of tooling :paranoia:, . Well, until the next time. :cheers:

Cletus

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 01:49:25 PM »
Elvis,
Make mine with extra cheese and mushrooms.
Mosey    :ROFL: :lolb: :Jester:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal