Author Topic: Garage sale find  (Read 2377 times)

Offline kvom

Garage sale find
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:02:43 AM »
I answered a Craigslist ad for some broaches and found that the seller is a retiring machinist emptying his shop.  So poked around for some interesting bits and found 3 lathe holders similar to this:

Kennametal holders in C size, where the PO had machined the shank down to fit B holders.  You can see where I took a bit more off to fit my A holder.  The round insert is called a K-lock, and is held in  place with a 50-degree taper, plus normal stock rotation is downward force.  To change you hammer it out with a pin punch from the bottom.  Kennametal catalog says these are good for large DOC.  I didn't try that out, but they do give a nice finish on steel.

I can also do both turning and facing without moving the holder!

One of the other holders uses a 1/2" diameter insert.  Either can be used as a form tool where appropriate.  I saw Stan Shire doing so in another thread.

Offline Overbuilt and Overkill

Re: Garage sale find
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 06:33:25 AM »
Kvom,
Nice find. And while it's not a lathe tool, I did buy a pretty heavy duty flycutter that uses the round carbide tips. It gives a beautiful finish on most metals. And these tools are really cheap since a worn or at least slightly chipped tip can just be indexed around a bit. Unless you were to break the tool tips in half, you can usually get 10-12 positions out of each tip. It of course won't get in tight to a 90 degree surface, but used for what there built for there a great tool.

Greg.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal