Author Topic: Sandwich Fair  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Jimsmodels

Sandwich Fair
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:50:27 PM »
Hi Folks
I thought you mite enjoy a few pictures I took at the Sandwich Fair, in Sandwich Ill. last week. I take my model trailer to several shows each year, and Bob Nawa, and Hank Wielman also set up on one side in the trailer. We have a lot of fun. There are quite a few city folks that come every year and they ask all kinds of questions, Like are these salesman samples or what did they use the little motors for. Some even think they are toy steam engines .
When we explain what they are and that we build them in our shops at home , they just shake there head.
Hope you like the pictures!
Jim G

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Sandwich Fair
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:26:17 PM »
Great pictures Jim. I bet you guys have a blast and that is one nice looking self contained display trailer too!! Thanks for sharing them.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
Very nice setup you have Jim and thanks for sharing the photos.

Don

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
The trailer is terrific! You guys should go on tour: Cabin Fever, NAMES, Rough and Tumble, etc.  Like a band.
Best,
Stan

Offline Jimsmodels

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »
SSHIRE
Thanks for the compliment! It took a lot of years to get to this level . I ordered it the way I wanted it to be finished. Bob Nawa designed the counters, they are extra heavy and all fold up against the wall so I can haul big stuff like my full sized engines etc. The back counter comes out also. There is storage up front, even a lighted work bench, with a vice so we can work on a model if it has a problem.
The only drawback with this rig, is that it is really heavy!!.I pull it with a 3/4 ton chevy with a diesel engine. It is 24ft. long and weights 5600lbs. empty!
This is the 3rd year and it sure takes the work out of set up and tear down time. When I pull it down the road I set all my models on the floor, so they
don't come off the counter.

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »
Hi

Just a little info on this Fair.  It is  a county fair that has been around for over 125 years ( that's a long time for the Midwest).  It is filled with animal competitions, crafts, carnival, surrey races, antique hit -miss engines (where we set up), antique tractors, quilt competition, canning competition, otherwise everything at a county fair.  It is in a huge oak grove (lots of shade)  runs five days, and typically draws 150,000 to 200,00 people depending on the weather.

Now I also included a picture of one of the finest 15" ga steam locomotives around, a 4-6-4 Burlington Hudson 3000, for the larger modelers among us.  It was finished in 1974, and build by a local man by the name of Augie Otto.  He did all the patterns, machining, and boiler work ( at the time he built it he was a certified boiler builder).  It was his second locomotive the first being a 4-4-4 Wagner built in the early 50's.  He also did a 1/2 scale Case 50.

Bob

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
Rather a 'wow' engine there, I bet it has as good a turn of speed as it has hauling power. Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 01:13:31 AM »
Jim your trailer is just wonderful; it must be nice to be able to spend the day in at a show running engines. Shows are fewer and farther between out west but it sure would be a great way to display your work.

Thanks for sharing,
Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal