Author Topic: A Bentley.  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
A Bentley.
« on: September 16, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
This could be ambitious but rubbish to paraprase the last of top gear offerings on bbc brit..

But as I got the book, the ambition but perhaps lack a bit of the skil and tenancy why not at least make a start? The bits could allways end up as a conversation piece, "once I tried to make Bentley".

Perhaps one day, it will be finished, but It will propably be a very, very long time project.

Crankcase, crankshaft, maneton and thrust bearing box done so far...

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: A Bentley.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:30:40 PM »
Congratulations Bjorn,

For every journey, however long, there is always the first step. You have been brave and have made that step. If you have the determination, you will reach your destination. You will pick up all the necessary skills along the way. It looks like you have made an excellent start on your Bentley BR2. It is a well tried and tested design, so you can be sure you are building an engine that will run and run well.

Good luck with the next steps along your journey of discovery. Keep us updated.

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
Thanks!

My first thoughts was that this project will be part educational, some of the processes involved have I only read about.. I'll post updates here from time to time when something hapens. But I gess there will be other things done along the way so it might be on hold from time to time...

Online sco

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »
Nice start Bjorn!

The facets on the crankcase are a joy to look at  ;D

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:55:35 AM »
Looking good Bjorn!

I will be following along with interest, the book has been on my shelf for a few years now
waiting for me to get going....

Cheers, Joe

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
It's a long road that has no frequent stops to make new fixtures and tooling...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »

This a must thread for me to follow for sure.  Keep up the good work.

Ron

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
Thank four your looking by. Been working on the thrust box last weeks (with pause for updating and cleaning up he lathe a bit).

This is the thrust bearing that has to be made that goes into the thrust box. no commercial alternative viable. Flat races out of stainless, it will nor be very durable, but I doubt this will se much runtime anyway. The best alternative would perhaps be hardened gauge plate, but the it has to be surface ground, and I do not have the facilities, yet... Perhaps the quorn head and the mill table?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:09:28 PM by Bjorn_P »

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »
I did not machine the crankcase per the book, but opted instead of doing some of the machining steps on the mill, it has an autofeed quill for boring ops, much like a bridgeport

Offline mikemill

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »
Bjorn

Reading your post brings back fond memories of my build of the Bentley BR2 some 25 years ago. It is one of the most changing models in the ME range of engines, not only machining skills but tool making to a high standard are required. The cylinder heads alone require some thirty different operations and there are nine of them. It also tests a range of skills from forming the petrol tank ends from brass, to silver soldering the stainless steel mounting frame, and casting the aluminium  inlet  manifolds. But as with most models we build the satisfaction comes when you see it burst into life, I remember well when my model fired up, I did not expect the roar and shear drama of the event, also the mist of castor oil from the total loss lubricating system covering the face as you adjust the throttle, sheer joy!!
Bjorn you have a lot to look forward to, I will be following your progress with interest.

Mike

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
Hi Björn!
Great start and your crankcase looks lovely! :)
I will follow your progress.
Where in our long country do you are?

Ove

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
Thanks!

The cylinder heads do look like quite a task, I quite look forward to it in a wierd way.

There will however be an interlude to this soon as I have collected all parts and material to build a second gas turbine now to go with the one allready built of Gerald Rutten's design (GR180)

I live nearby Björkvik in Sörmland

Offline rythmnbls

• Weatherly, PA, US via Sydney NSW
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
Hi Bjorn, nice to meet another GR180 builder :)

Regards,

Steve.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
Hi Steve! You might have seen the build thread of my first turbine on the gtba forum. Did you ever get your running again after the, how shal I put it.. Slight hickup?  :headscratch:

Offline rythmnbls

• Weatherly, PA, US via Sydney NSW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 10:44:46 PM »
Not yet, I've been making tools to make tools. As a result  have a nice little CNC machine that I plan to use to repair my slight hiccup as you so kindly put it.   :Jester:

Regards,

Steve.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal