Author Topic: 1895 Otto Vertical Gas Engine  (Read 65621 times)

Offline RayW

Re: 1895 Otto Vertical Gas Engine
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2017, 07:31:40 PM »
As I suspected, the faulty joint on the crankshaft, although moving slightly, was too tight for silver solder to penetrate and full of oil, so I decided to tackle the problem in a different way. As shown in the photos, I drilled three holes around the circumference of the shaft with half the hole cutting into the web and half into the shaft. I then drilled and tapped them 6BA and screwed in steel screws secured with Loctite. Once everything was nice and tight, I ground off the protruding stubs of the screws leaving an acceptable, if not perfect, finish and an absolutely rigid joint.
I then held the short end of the crank in a collet in the lathe and checked with a dial indicator that the shafts were in line and running true.
Ray

Offline RayW

« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »
I was intrigued to see in the latest issue of Stationary Engine magazine an ad from The Engineers Emporium for an updated version of the Otto model. The revised version is in cast iron instead of the original aluminium and now includes over 100 drawings, one for each part, as opposed to the 18 original ones.
Also included are exploded and section views, assembly drawings, parts list and construction notes.
Included in the supplied materials is now a crankshaft profile blank for producing a one piece crank, a con rod profile and a cam profile.

Let us hope that the revisions have corrected the numerous errors and omissions that I, and others, discovered during our builds, and drew to their attention.

As for my own engine, I eventually bit the bullet and made a completely new crank as the previous repaired one never ran completely true. I also replaced the cast iron piston rings with viton O rings which have proved very successful.The engine now finally starts and runs well and I my plan is to make a new, tile effect base to mount it on.
Ray

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »
Yes I saw the advert in ME. He did not have the iron one on show at the Midlands, just the ali version.

He did have a good size horizontal steam engine casting set just in from the foundry as well as  Tulip Hopper Bamford castings that someone beat me to >:(

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »
Yes I saw the advert in ME. He did not have the iron one on show at the Midlands, just the ali version.

He did have a good size horizontal steam engine casting set just in from the foundry as well as  Tulip Hopper Bamford castings that someone beat me to >:(

Hi Jason.

Off thread topic, I know but do you have a photo of the Bamford castings?

'Twas one on the list, back in the day. I even have " written " permission from Richard to apply the badge.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »

Yes I found out the history as to where that came from. As for the Tulip Surus tells me that that artificial aged coating (nothing like the quality that Graham achieves   ::) ) needs to be removed as currently it comes off on your fingers   :disappointed:

Jo
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:11:27 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2018, 08:32:17 PM »
Graham it looks to have come from the Ronie Bickerton patterns, his engine was in Stationary mag and also in their booklet on model engines.

At the moment I can't find a Tulip Top that looks like it, all the ones I can find are blind cylinder with the exhaust in teh end of the cylinder and have the valve and spark plug at the side. This one has it all in a separate overlength head almost like the engine used some other basic sideshaft mechanics and just put a Tulip shaped hopper on and calle dit a Bamford. Unless anyone has photos of a full size one.

I recon the castings could be reworked into the correct configuration if the builder wanted, also Bamfords are still going and you can see the correct wheels and cart castings so that can be made correctly as well as nameplates etc.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2018, 07:59:52 AM »
Having briefly seen the castings  ::) and having found the article about the model it looks suspiciously like a scaled up RLE but with a tulip hopper.

I suspect when I draw out the crank motion I will find that the Hopper/cylinder casting is over long and it will be possible to have a side inlet valve and plug hole.

I will have to see if I am allowed to photograph the castings  :-X

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2018, 08:15:16 AM »
Jo as there are a few posts about the Bamford here now would it be worth moving them to a new thread.

The Title of that photo you found is a bit optomistic at 25HP :LittleDevil:

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #248 on: October 26, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »
I think that the problem is you can't put a . in a picture title. I always have to write point. The plate appears to say 2 1/2.
Best regards

Roger

Offline RayW

« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
Just over three years after starting the Otto build, I have finally got it starting and running well and mounted on a decent base! Patience is certainly a virtue. This is the link to my YouTube video showing it running nice and slowly.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKHto_ab7-E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKHto_ab7-E</a>

Ray
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
Nice work Ray.

The re made crankshaft was time well spent!

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2018, 06:29:48 PM »
Looks Good.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »
Hello Ray,

Beautiful engine and a nice runner.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2018, 05:54:28 PM »
Hi Ray, congratulations for this Runner.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline pirmin

« Reply #254 on: February 11, 2024, 10:09:49 AM »
Hy There,

i found this very Helpfull Post and i am currently Building this Engine, but i also found a few little Problems with the Drawings and therefor i consider to revive this ost or open a new Thread.

i have the re processed Drawings from the Emporium and the Iron Kit, but it still seems there are some mistakes been made .

could someone of you maybe hand me out the Kornmüller Drawings ( the orig. ones ) , i can proof that i purchased a set of castings from the emporium, therefor i think i would not get into trouble if i would get a set fo drawings handed out. i just want to compare a few of the things on both drawing version. some of the parts on the Kornmüller Engine look just like on the big engine, but then on the drawings the parts look slightly modified.

Best Regards from Vienna !

Pirmin j Kogleck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal