Author Topic: Lady Godiva Rides Again - Roy Ozouf's Coventry Engine  (Read 37272 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Lady Godiva Rides Again - Roy Ozouf's Coventry Engine
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2016, 02:41:37 PM »
Order in!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »
I've used the Tix solder for many years on scale ship models, more recently on clocks and engines. Fine for parts that dont get much heat, quite strong, flows into tight joints very well. Be sure to get a bottle of thier flux to go with it. You want to be sure to wash off the parts well after use, or the flux will start to etch the metal over the next day or so. It is not very strong on joints with a gap - you can put in enough to fill a gap, but it will not be very strong. It seems expensive, but if used on tight joints it takes very little, so it goes a long way.

Offline Manorfarmdenton

• Fearnley Contract Services
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2016, 04:36:35 PM »
Incredible ingenuity with ways of holding things!  I think I've got two choices - watch and learn or give up.  Could go either way.....

Forgive my ignorance, but what on earth is Crystalbond?  Never heard of it.  And is the little block with collets a home-made item?  I can see its a must-have for a mill.

John.
John Fearnley

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2016, 05:25:51 PM »
Yes, parts that get hot would be an issue and could prove entertaining. Since my small engines run on air and this part is only an air valve, I was quite OK with the Tix. I did a test solder and wasn't able to twist the parts away or break the joint. The two bosses are .25 OD and the hole to receive them is .251. The solder wicked all the way through.

John
The collet blocks are indispensable. They generally come in a set. One square and one hex with nuts and wrench. Actually one of the less expensive add-ons.

I did a post on this forum about Crystalbond. IIRC It was titled "Magic Sticky Stuff".  A quick search should turn it up. Just another in the "How in the hell do I hold this part?" bag of tricks.
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Best,
Stan

Offline Manorfarmdenton

• Fearnley Contract Services
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »
Thanks for the info Stan.  I'll do some looking.

Best regards,
John.
John Fearnley

Offline kvom

« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »
5C collet blocks will get a lot of use.  Note that the set usually doesn't come with a pin wrench for tightening the nut, so order one with it.  They do come with a cam-operated nut, but I found this generally useless.  Of course you also need a set of collets to use with the blocks.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2016, 06:23:54 PM »
Kirk
Absolutely correct. I had forgotten that I had ordered a pin wrench separately. Also, the cam lock thing  :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown:
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2016, 07:57:30 PM »
Sub-Episode

Today's progress. Soldered the Hand Wheel followed by copious sanding, filing, buffing, polishing and general mayhem.

Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
That handwheel turned out very nice. I can imagine the cleaning up and filing and polishing work though.  Well done!!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2016, 09:04:55 PM »
5C collet blocks will get a lot of use.  Note that the set usually doesn't come with a pin wrench for tightening the nut, so order one with it.  They do come with a cam-operated nut, but I found this generally useless.  Of course you also need a set of collets to use with the blocks.

I've never used them before, but those collets/blocks look very handy. Do the different sizes handle a range of stock, or just that nominal size? Looks like they come in sets with different increments from one size to the next, any tips on choosing? Any brands to avoid?

Thanks!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2016, 09:10:33 PM »
They accept 5c collets.  Any size or shape 5c collet wI'll  work.  I would think Sherline or someone would make them for the other size collets also.

Cletus

Offline kvom

« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »
My 5C set includes imperial sizes by 16ths.  Largest size is 1-3/16".  Largest size that stock can go completely through is 15/16".  Of course they make metric sizes as well as square and hex collets.  I have bought a couple of these special collets over time, such as a couple of square sizes.  These are mainly for use on the lathe where I have a collet chuck.

It's not a good idea to vary stock size by more than +/- a couple of thou from the nominal size of a collet.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2016, 09:18:58 PM »
My 5C set includes imperial sizes by 16ths.  Largest size is 1-3/16".  Largest size that stock can go completely through is 15/16".  Of course they make metric sizes as well as square and hex collets.  I have bought a couple of these special collets over time, such as a couple of square sizes.  These are mainly for use on the lathe where I have a collet chuck.

It's not a good idea to vary stock size by more than +/- a couple of thou from the nominal size of a collet.

Gotcha, so sounds like they are great for the raw bar stock, maybe not for turned parts that are in between nominal sizes. Look very handy for a lot of things. Thanks!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2016, 10:04:22 PM »
I've got a set by 1/32" in round. Also square and hex by 1/16"
The 5C collet chuck is on the lathe 90% of the time. I do keep a few emergency collets (undrilled) for odd sizes.
Many of mine are Hardinge (eBay). New ones, I generally get Lyndex-Nikken.
Scott Nelson's( Cheepo45) shop at U. Delaware has a complete set of 5C. Letter, number and fractional sizes for the HLV-H(drool)
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal