Author Topic: Lady Godiva Rides Again - Roy Ozouf's Coventry Engine  (Read 37250 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Lady Godiva Rides Again - Roy Ozouf's Coventry Engine
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »
Loads of nice work in this update Stan. It's really coming along and looking nice too!! Well the mini-mic may be passé but not too passé to use I see  :LittleDevil: Works well with those small hole gages doesn't it ??

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 09:02:44 PM »
Thanks,Bill.
You are right. It's like the ˝" mike was made for those gages.

Just got a very heavy package from Online Metals so progress should ramp up.
Although with two shows in October (Rhode Island and American Precision Museum in Vt) there will be some breaks.
Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
Vern, by God, that's some mighty fine metal whittling you've done,  those frame segments are simply stunning,  looking "as cast". I'll admit though,  I'm quite surprised to see you still using that far eastern POS  drill and three jaw chuck on the lathe ( knew there was a reason for that wide angle center punch.)  Would have thought a chap of your stature would have Albreich,  Bison, and or, Buck. I'm thinking of a self centering 6 jaw Bison for Mr. Rawhide as his next toy.  Just curious,  but,  have you ever looked into the proper diameters of piece of stock to be knurled,  lot more to it than one would think  :noidea:. Time to run the traps and feed the milk cow, gotta go boys.

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2015, 11:14:07 PM »
Stan your work is just outstanding buddy and I am digging this engine built and did I say ......I like........... :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline kvom

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2015, 11:30:16 PM »
When I was modeling the engine in SW, I had the idea of not using bearing caps, but rather making the frames to include the cap profile and boring holes for the bushings, which would be loctited to the frames.  The crankshaft would then be inserted before the sides were fastened together with the tie rods.  I'm wondering how often the crankshaft would need to be removed when assembling the other pieces.

Any thoughts?

And nice work there btw.   :cheers:

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 02:20:20 AM »
Kirk
Since the con rod is split, it would seems that your idea would work. Since I've got many more parts to make before final assembly, this is only a guess.

Cletus
The drill bits are genuine, made in USA and drill with beautiful even spirals of metal exiting the flutes. A thing to behold.
The tail stock has a Jacobs ball bearing Super-Chuck.

My 5C chuck is a Bison Set-tru and the 3-jaw is a Gator. Granted the 4-jaw is the original Grizzly, Chinese chuck but, since the parts get indicated with the DI every time it's used, it doesn't seem to be an issue.
That said, I've been looking at 6-jaws and the only thing that holds me back is a number of reports that the scrolls on 6-jaws are much finer than a 3 or 4 jaw and susceptible to being screwed up with a crash ( not that that would ever happen.) I'd appreciate any comments on this. Are 6-jaws that much more delicate? The Pratt-Burnerds and Bucks are quite lovely.
Best,
Stan

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »
If the caps were machined as integral parts of the frame they could be cut off with a slitting saw after, quite common to leave a gap between cap and frame and use nuts & studs to hold it in place and a lock nut so pressure on the beraing can be adjusted.

You have made a lot of good progress Stan.

Offline kvom

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »
In rethinking my "plan" I believe the flaw is that both the pivot and the crank bearings would have to be bored extremely precisely in order to be parallel; else there'd be some binding.

My 1942 Monarch came with its original Cushman 6-jaw chuck, which is not at all delicate.  It is marked so that it can be installed in the same D1-3 lugs each time;  I assume it had runout measured and the orientation chosen to minimize runout. 

One advantage with a 6-lug that I use frequently is that I can install two parallels across two different pairs of jaws, and then use them to insert a workpiece against their edges before tightening.  The work installed this way then runs very true.  It's very useful to remove the parallels before turning on the spindle,   :hammerbash:  The same work replacement accuracy or better can be done with soft jaws, but this is quicker.  The parallel method needs a minimum work diameter for the parallels to fit and allow the jaws to close.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »
I learned early on to remain clear of a path perpendicular to the chuck.
This was quite useful when I was using parallels, as KVOM describes, to set a part in the chuck.
I generally test a lathe setup by a quick press of the inching button. The parallel was launched across the shop and hasn't been seen since.
Best,
Stan

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:32 PM »
Hi Stan,
Sorry I haven't commented long before now but I have been watching. Aluminum for all it's versatility is very unforgiving when it comes to tool marks. Even .001 shows up on a finished piece. I know that a .001 cut on brass and steel is still .001 but somehow it doesn't appear the same.
I'm proud of you my friend for the complex machining on the uprights. CNC is nice but I think there's more self satisfaction when complex parts are created by hand.
This engine certainly has a Victorian character and will be extremely attractive when finished.
Keep up the good work.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:23 PM »
Thanks, George. I truly appreciate the comments.
I'm pretty sure that between the various Cratex shapes for the Foredom and the abrasive sticks from the tool and die supply, I can get the interior smooth. It's only my time.

Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
Vern, thanks for setting me straight,  musta been the "beer goggles". I actually was referring to the drill chuck,  looked at first glance like the one that came with our lathes. You know, I have done a bit of turning and QC checking and the 3 jaw that came with our  far eastern lathes is pretty darn good. It even impressed my BIL, and that's hard to do if it isn't something you would find in a die shop at a,  say,  GE plant in the 70's 8). Vern if I may: George I'm glad you weighed in here.  I, just last night,  via PM, told  Stan that was some Britnell quality metal carving.  He graciously laughed it off and said, " I only wish".  George,  you are an inspiration to all of here and Stan is proving that someone is working hard at showing it.  My hats off and sincere thanks to the both of you  :cheers:.

Cletus

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 10:23:33 PM »
So, five months down the line since I've posted to this build log.
Getting ready for the American Precision Museum Show in Vermont, Thanksgiving in Florida, Cabin Fever, etc, etc, etc really stopped the postings. I've got every step documented and will post a log. If you've ever done one, you know that they are time-eaters.
That said, I've been punching the time clock in the shop most days when I'm not on the show circuit. :lolb:

It is a runner!! :cartwheel: :cartwheel:
Major thanks to KVOM for sending me his drawing of the port block. When he modeled this engine, he realized that the inlet and exhaust ports were too close to the channels and could possibly connect them. Exactly what I did. Using his drawings, I remade the port block.
I had spent a week screwing around trying to get it to run and then contacted KVOM.

Quickie first run here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GECvotQs11M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GECvotQs11M</a>
Best,
Stan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2016, 10:39:01 PM »
It's about time. I've been wondering where you've been.  ;D

Nice! Love the slow-mo! And with sound!

Coooooooool.

That's my slow-mo typiiiiiiiiing.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kvom

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2016, 11:54:07 PM »
Nice one.  Who needs gaskets and screws?   :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal