Author Topic: S7 plus to connoiseur upgrade  (Read 12103 times)

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
Re: S7 plus to connoiseur upgrade
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »
Quote from: Jo

:Doh: And I have a spare set of those bits in the garage and no Myford any more :shrug:

Jo

Oh dear...  :headscratch:

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
Done! It's way smoother than before, with less imballance. I did discover that the clutch centre is wobbling around a bit and that does give some imballance yet. Have to look into that soon, the last time I hate the clutch apart I had a hell of a time getting it back together so I'm a bit reluctant..

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2015, 05:07:06 PM »
Here we go again, making the ght headstock dividing thingy for my lathe as it at last has a "normal" bullwheel. Normal in tooth count that is, not in tooth form. With help and info from Kirk at Hemmingway I found out that the worm for connoisseur lathes is to be cut with a pitch of 0,2154 inches. Calculations of possible geartrains soon saw the need for a 47t gear.. Great! No such thing in my drawers, not listed at myford or the usual sources either.. And its a prime number, not found on my division plates for the dividing head I rather use on the mill. So, a new division plate was drilled (bless the DRO pcd funtion) and a gearcutting session started.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2015, 06:24:27 PM »
Btw, geartrain: 47 30/55 50. This will be, interesting...

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 10:23:22 AM »
What pitch is the gear Bjon.    I have some 16 dp. 47 tooth gears
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
It's a myford changegear, 20dp 14,5pa. I have a complete set of involute cutters for those so i can add to the collection when need arises, as it just did.  :stir:
Back to the bullgear worm, linear pitch is calculated to 5,47116 mm after correction for the helix angle. With is geartrain and box set to 8tpi I will get very very close to that. I wonder if this is classified as abuse to the leadscrew, I need to go easy I guess.. :thinking:

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 08:36:30 PM »
Started cutting the worm for the headstock dividing attachment today. In fear of straining the leadscrew to much, a very low speed and light cuts.. But the quite agresive geartrain seems to work out  :cartwheel:
I could have bought a worm for the connie bullwheel at fair cost from Kirk but sometimes the journey is the reason rather than the destination.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »
Soon done..

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 07:24:23 PM »
That's some very nice work Bjorn. You will enjoy using it as much as I do. It's a very handy tool to have in your collection. By the way if you don't have it yet, I made a spreadsheet to do the calculations for you. I am attaching it to this post. You may even improve it. It will calculate the Micro Attachment dial setting and is also a stand alone for the different division plates.

Regards Don

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
Thanks Don! I allready have laminated charts for the vdh, but this is a welcome addition. Btw, this connie bullgear is really something odd, how about a 14,6506 dp with a 20 degree pressure angle?

Worm is cut to this spec, hence the need for a 47 t changegear, to make that changegear i had to make a new dividing plate..  :wallbang:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 11:06:28 PM »
You could of made it with the 60 hole and micro attachment or am I missing something here.

Don
Never mind you didn't have the dividing head done yet...duuu :toilet_claw:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:28:42 PM by Don1966 »

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 08:09:11 AM »
Thanks for your comments Don. Seems I'm replicating much of your work  :happyreader:

Yes it would not be much of a problem problem making ithe gear on the versatile, but the dividing head I have on the mill is a lot sturdier and making a new holecircle is allmost a doodle with the pdc function on the dro. I never got quite round to finishing the versatile as I bought the mill around that time and it came with a very nice quality dividing head. This is why I don't have any nose adaptors, collets and so, only the smooth bore with copper pads. Another spindle would be nice , for ER collets.

Next thing on the agenda is some sort of milling spindle for the toolpost and/or vertical slide. The Quorn grinding spindle could allso find use on a toolpost grinder setup. How to power theese things is what bothers me now: Old school ac motor? Brushless motor driven from a 900w power supply via r/c speedcontroller/arduino? Other possibilities?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal