Author Topic: HSS Boring bars?  (Read 13192 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: HSS Boring bars?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
So is that 5 times the long series pilot drill dia or 5 times the final drills dia? 6" between outer faces so that 24times the length of the 1/4" pilot or 8 times the 3/4" finished dia well actually to fit the supplied bearings 0.752" so special size reamer would have been needed

J

PS its extruded angle :ThumbsUp:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »
Hi Rod,

Remind me did I invite you down to visit my workshop? If not I apologise  :-[ you are more than welcome (and bring your good lady  ;D

As someone said to me once: it is not the equipment you own that matters but the equipment that your friends own that they are happy to let you to use when you visit them  8).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
So is that 5 times the long series pilot drill dia or 5 times the final drills dia? 6" between outer faces so that 24times the length of the 1/4" pilot or 8 times the 3/4" finished dia well actually to fit the supplied bearings 0.752" so special size reamer would have been needed

Most of us step up the diameter of the drill, the advantage of doing this is that it bring the misalignments of smaller drills back with in acceptable limits. I can only go by my English historical guides that suggest that as you increase the diameter of the drilling/boring  hole the error is reduced until at a depth of 5 times the diameter of the cutting drill. But what do I know :shrug:

Everything has what they call an acceptable tolerance  :-\ for Mr silky it is being able to bore accurately to  0.002mm with a crappy carbide bit. But I was pleased to find out yesterday that my Colchester having her new scale is proving to be just as accurate as Mr Silky :whoohoo: 

Maybe I need to find a name for my Colchester that reflects my enduring love and respect for her :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
Well since every one is showing their boring tool, I guess I can show mine. Interesting conversation you two are having Jo.

Don

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 11:24:16 PM »
Maybe I need to find a name for my Colchester that reflects my enduring love and respect for her :embarassed:

Big Bertha? Hattie?   8)

On tolerances - as an engineer I agree that holding tight tolerances is a sign of high-quality manufacturing, but requiring tight tolerances is often a sign of low-quality engineering...

AS

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 01:32:29 AM »
This site has an excellent description of making your own German-style boring bars including a description of the required geometry.
http://www.metallmodellbau.de/Herstellung_Ausdrehstahl.php
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2015, 01:19:12 AM »
Hi Jo,

I have a Colchester Master 6 1/2" Round Head circa 67, she is a beauty, and wouldn't think of her as oversized or overbearing...

I have made some changes to her personality in the 20 years we've been married, she has responded with alacrity and accuracy...

I call her Colly, as though she was a Collie(Sheep Dog), faithful friend....

Apologies to the OP for straying...
Chris Wright
Ulceby, North Lincolnshire.UK
Colchester Master 6 1/2", Elliott Rapidmil, Clarkson Mk1+

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal