Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 242196 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #675 on: May 21, 2017, 12:41:24 AM »
Hi Kim , is the 2-56 thread  2mm X 56 threads per inch ?? i only use BA threads over her in blighty so am not familiar with this thread system ??   good work going here as well
Willbert.
It's a gauge number, not a metric size.  Here is a nice concise explanation of the numbering system:
http://www.votawtool.com/product_help/Thread_Sizes.asp

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #676 on: May 21, 2017, 05:30:05 AM »
Thanks for following along Wilbert, Bob, Bill and Chris, I really appreciate the support!

Yes, Bill, I think you're right.  My old die was just dull or chipped or something.  The new one worked great.

Wilbert, as Chris says above 2-56 is referring to a UNC standard.  The fist number is the guage and are the opposite of the BA numbers.  With the US numbers; 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. the smaller numbers are smaller gauge, where as with BA standard, the smaller number are larger size.  And yes, the second number is the threads per inch.  There are usually two different 'standard' thread values for each size, a coarse thread (UNC) and a fine thread (UNF).  For #2 size, 2-56 is the UNC standard, and 2-64 is the UNF standard.

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #677 on: May 27, 2017, 11:30:05 PM »
Today I started on the Cylinder Covers.

These were made from 1” brass rod.  After truing up and facing it off, I cut the centering disk 1/32” deep, and made it fit nicely in the cylinder.

Then cut it off from the parent stock.

Then I mounted my taig 3” chuck on my Grizzly lathe and use that to true up the other side and cut it to width.

Then I went over to the mill and coordinate drilled the mounting holes for the cover.

After transferring those holes to the cylinder, I drilled & tapped them 2-56.  The lower right hole looks a bit funny because I accidentally started out with the 4-40 tap.  It started getting real tight really fast and I figured out what I’d done! I swap out with the correct tap and all is well, but it put that pucker around that one hole.  I filed it flat when I was done and no one will be the wiser. :)

Now for the other cover.  (I’m showing these pictures out of order.  I actually did this part while I still had the 1" brass rod in the lathe.  I just thought it made a better narrative sticking with one cover at a time.)

This one has the Piston Rod coming through it, so I needed to keep the holes and the centering boss concentric.  I started on the opposite side,  cutting the 3/8” boss for the gland first.

Then I spotted, drilled and reamed the 1/8” hole for the piston rod.

Next, I drilled and tapped 1/4-28 for the piston rod gland.  I usually like to use the roll-form taps, but I didn’t have a 1/4-28 forming tap, so I went with what I had.  Just had to remember to drill the correct sided hole for a cutting tap!

After cutting it off, I went back to the Collet chuck and used a 3/8” collet to hold the cover in place.  I felt that using the collet on the 3/8" boss would keep things concentric while I cut the centering disk on the other side.

And here’s where I left off for the day:

Tomorrow I’ll drill the mounting holes in the second cover.

Thanks for stopping by!
Kim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:15:57 PM by Kim »

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #678 on: May 28, 2017, 04:51:00 AM »
Still following along Kim.  How much more work is left untill the project is completed?

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #679 on: May 28, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the support! :)

How far to the finish line?  Interesting question!  Well, I've got a lot done, but I'm sure I've got another year to go at my rate.  The big things left to go are completing the engine, the boiler and all the plumbing work, and few other sundries.  Beyond that, there's the painting & finishing that I don't enjoy so much.  So I've still got a goodly ways to go.  But I'll just keep plugging along, and having fun in the process!

Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #680 on: May 28, 2017, 04:26:35 PM »
Kim a little late but still with you and some real nice work from you stable. Every piece brings you closer to completetion and as we say it "one more step closer to the fanally". Always nice work buddy.... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #681 on: May 28, 2017, 11:03:17 PM »
Thanks Don, I always appreciate your support!
Kim

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #682 on: May 28, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »
I'm here! Just not saying much....

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #683 on: May 28, 2017, 11:42:05 PM »
but I'm sure I've got another year to go at my rate.  The big things left to go are completing the engine, the boiler and all the plumbing work, and few other sundries.  Beyond that, there's the painting & finishing that I don't enjoy so much.  So I've still got a goodly ways to go.

That's fine. It's a good story.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ridjobradi

« Reply #684 on: May 29, 2017, 12:41:53 AM »
I just wanted to say that I appreciate the time that take to post your progress. I have been subscribed since the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #685 on: May 29, 2017, 09:57:55 PM »
Hey Pete, Zee, and Ridjobradi, thank you for following along and for the support! :)
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #686 on: May 29, 2017, 10:03:42 PM »
The other cylinder cover is very similar to the first, BUT it has some extra holes to support the crosshead guides.  Here we’re at the mill, completing the coordinate drilling of the mounting holes and the crosshead guide holes.

Next, we spot, drill & tap the mounting holes in the cylinder.

Now, for the Cylinder Gland.  Using some 3/8” brass hex, I turned down a 1/4" length to 1/4" diameter. Then single point thread it at 28 TPI.  Turned out nice!

Now, I drill and ream to 1/8” for the piston rod.

And cut it off the parent stock.

Guess I didn’t get a picture of this, but  after cutting it off, I flipped it around in a 1/4" collet and faced off the top side to the correct length.  Then I counter sunk the back side of the gland, since Rudy (and others) say this will help the gland seal around the rod.

All the completed cover pieces:

And the cylinder assembly completed:

Next up, the crosshead and the crosshead guide.

Thanks for checking in!
Kim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:16:56 PM by Kim »

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #687 on: May 29, 2017, 10:24:31 PM »
Kim:

Looking good!  I haven't said much lately, but I'm still following along.

Cheers, Joe

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #688 on: May 30, 2017, 03:05:57 AM »
Looks good Kim. It finally it home to me, watching your build and Chris's Lombard build, just how small the actual steam engine is on these machines, compared to everything else.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #689 on: May 30, 2017, 03:33:40 AM »
Looks good Kim. It finally it home to me, watching your build and Chris's Lombard build, just how small the actual steam engine is on these machines, compared to everything else.

Jim
Steam is strong! The Lombard is rated at only about 100 hp, but has monster low end torque. You should refit your airplane for steam!
The look on the FAA inspectors face: priceless!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal