Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 245549 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #645 on: April 30, 2017, 01:15:14 AM »
 :popcorn:

:ThumbsUp:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2017, 01:43:54 AM »
Nice update Kim!

Ah you suffer too, with the numbers switching places in your head.  :lolb:
I have to be very careful using MDI (manual data input) on the CNC mill because of this.

Dave

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #647 on: April 30, 2017, 02:08:44 PM »
I took a short piece of 1/8”x5/8” brass bar stock, squared it up and milled it to size, then drilled the six clearance holes.  I was careful to carry forward my transposed measurement for the center holes (it was supposed to be 0.531”, but I faithfully drilled it at 0.513” on the cylinder and the steam chest!).

Just curious, do you happen to be left handed?  I have had many apprentices over the years and the majority of those kind of errors came from the left handed ones.  And yes, I am left handed and I need to be very careful.

I have been following along, very nice work.

John

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #648 on: April 30, 2017, 08:06:10 PM »
Still following along and enjoying  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: I liked your use of the brass pins to keep the steam chest in place on the cylinder. It looks like you were pleased with the Flexihone. I have been aware of them for many years and have heard mixed reports but never actually tried one. I went in the direction of Acrolaps.
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #649 on: April 30, 2017, 11:30:34 PM »
Thanks for stopping by Chris, Dave, John, and Roger,

John, Dave,
Regarding my number transposing, as far as I know, I'm not left handed :)

I do believe I have a touch of dyslexia though.  Usually I read a number, and will transpose two of the digits when I say it out loud, but still write it down the way I saw it, which is the correct ordering (if that makes any sense).  But this time, I apparently wrote it down swapped, and carefully carried it forward.   I usually discover these kinds of things when I dial the coordinates in, and it doesn't look like its lining up where its supposed to. So I go back and check.  but this time, it was only 18 thousandths off, and my calibrated eye didn't catch that.

When I drilled the clearance holes for the Steam Chest, I figured it didn't matter which side I measured from, since everything was symmetrical.  But THAT is where I was wrong.  And 50/50 chance, wouldn't you know it, I measured from the wrong side, so the four outside holes line up well, but the inside ones were off by 36 thou (twice the 18 thou), just over 1/32", which is why I widened the center holes :)

It looks like you were pleased with the Flexihone. I have been aware of them for many years and have heard mixed reports but never actually tried one. I went in the direction of Acrolaps.
Yes, I was pleased with the Flex-Hone.  I doubt it is anywhere near as accurate as the Acrolaps that you are using, but it worked well for me in my situation.  Plus it was fairly inexpensive and fast!

Thanks,
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #650 on: April 30, 2017, 11:40:14 PM »
Looks great Kim, after all is said and done the mishap with the figures is invisible so its like it never happened!! Nice save.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #651 on: April 30, 2017, 11:50:28 PM »
Nice job Kim especially single pointing the 10-32 thread.  Single point threading is my favorite machining operation.  There is just something about watching the thread form with each pass.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #652 on: May 01, 2017, 12:13:27 AM »
Awesome Kim all looks great!

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #653 on: May 01, 2017, 01:03:48 AM »
Thanks Bill, Bob, and Don!

Nice job Kim especially single pointing the 10-32 thread.  Single point threading is my favorite machining operation.  There is just something about watching the thread form with each pass.

-Bob
Couldn't agree more!  It wasn't that long ago that I was scared of single point threading.  But with some excellent coaching from several people on this forum (Don, you're one of them! Thanks!) and a little practice, I really look forward to it now.

In fact, I'll cut a thread on the lathe if I can, rather than use a die.  Not only is if fun, but that way I know the threads are straight and concentric, which doesn't always happen when use a die (if I get it started at a slight angle or something).

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #654 on: May 13, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »
Howdy everyone,
It's been a while since I had any shop time, and with my son coming into town tomorrow, I could see that it was going to be a while before I got another chance. So, today was my shop day! Or so I thought...   ::)

Next up was the Valve Rod.  It was supposed to be 3/32” Stainless rod.  I didn’t have any.  Only had 1/8”.  So I did what anybody would do and turned down a few inches of it to 3/32”.  I had to do it 1/4" to 3/8" at a time because it was so small, but that wasn’t too bad.

Next, I faced it to length and then cut the section that connects to the valve. This is 1/16” diameter to fit in the 1/16” slot in the valve.

Next, I flipped the rod around to cut some 2-56 threads on the other side.  I had to bring the 3/32” rod down a little for 2-56 – it’s major diameter is 0.086”.  Unfortunately, while I was cutting the threads, the rod broke :(

Not much chance of salvaging that part now.  It’s 1/8” too short!  I also had to figure out how to get the threaded section out of the die.  I tried drilling it out, It didn’t work well – I was too worried about mucking up the teeth in the die.  Next I tried a jeweler’s saw.  That worked.  I cut between the teeth in the die, into the nubbin.  Did that from each side and eventually got all the pieces out.

Now, to start over.  This time, I decided to start with the threading.

So, I did.  Cut 1/4" down to the OD for 2-56, then tried the die. But I just couldn’t get it to start.  Clearly I’d messed it up the cutting teeth in my attempts to salvage it.  Bummer.

But wait!  I can single point it!  And wasn’t I just talking about how much I enjoy that?  So that’s what I did.  Got the lathe setup for 56 TPI and set to work.  But second cut in (and a shallow one at that) it snapped off…

This is my total output for the day:

A couple hours into my session and it became clear to me that I needed to do something else. 

I see a new 2-56 die in my future.  And maybe some 3/32” stainless :)

Next time, maybe I’ll make some actual progress!
Kim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:11:52 PM by Kim »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #655 on: May 13, 2017, 10:23:30 PM »
What a bummer!  I think we all get days like that from time to time  :'(

Enjoy your family time.........Terry

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #656 on: May 14, 2017, 12:03:38 AM »
That stinks Kim. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #657 on: May 14, 2017, 12:35:42 AM »
Hey Kim

Some-days your the windshield, some-days your the bug. Next time things will go better.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #658 on: May 14, 2017, 02:58:43 AM »
Thanks Terry, Bob, and Dave,
Appreciate the encouraging comments.  While it was a bummer, somehow I wasn't too upset about it.  I just decided that things weren't going well and I'd chewed up enough metal.  I'd try again another day with a new (sharper?) die.

I'm not sure how to single point something that small!  Probably with a LOT lighter cuts that I was taking!

Next time I'll get it!
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #659 on: May 14, 2017, 03:09:57 AM »
It happens Kim. It just makes the good days that much better!! Hang in there.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal