Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 245934 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #495 on: November 29, 2016, 07:21:05 AM »
Thanks for looking in Dave, and thanks for the excellent tip on checking the edge of a tool for sharpness.  I'll have to give that a shot!
Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #496 on: November 29, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
That looks great Kim!      16 TP with a 37/47 transposition pair will give 1.666mm pitch......additionally, the pitch error with a worm wheel isn't so bad if you're running a  single start worm as you're only really engaging 1 tooth at a time.

I'm going back through your post, I want to see how you backed off those cutters.....  8-)  Nice!   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #497 on: November 30, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »
Hey Dave,
Thanks for looking in!

I'm going back through your post, I want to see how you backed off those cutters.....  8-) 

If you mean the gear cutters, that was described back in post 423 (or so - it was page 29 I think).  I just used a file to back off the top edge of the cutter.  I didn't really do it the 'right' way, but this seems to be working out OK for the few small gears I'm making.

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #498 on: December 17, 2016, 05:53:21 PM »
This post has been a long time in coming.  I’ve been working on these two gears for the past 3 weeks and have finally finished them up to my satisfaction (i.e. they pass the Good Enough inspection departments rigorous testing process (borrowed from Stan)).  It has been a harrowing journey though!

I didn’t have any stainless 3/8” rod to use for the worm, so I just used some 12L14.  This seemed OK too.  After I made my first skimming pass at 48DP, I (stupidly) released the half nut on the feed.  :facepalm: Oops…  So I had to do it again.  That’s why there’s a double track mark there:

To make sure I DIDN’T do that again, I used some mostly ineffective tape on the handle.  It wouldn’t have kept me from moving the lever, but its purpose was to remind me NOT to!  And it worked for that :)

Here’s the completed teeth.  Looked pretty good to me – a little chatter there, but not bad.

Then I drilled & reamed the center hole at 3/32”, per plan.

And finally, drilled & tapped for a 2-56 set screw.

And I hold it up next to the gear, and find it doesn’t mesh as well as I think it ought to.  I should have made the teeth (tooth?) on the worm a little deeper (its really just one tooth on a single start worm, right?)

So, I took this opportunity to order some stainless and went off and worked on the 20tooth spur gear. And last week my 303 came in. So, yesterday, I cut a new worm. I also widened the tip on the tooth form tool a little.  And here’s the result of that attempt.  I think it meshes much more fully than the other one did.

Ok, On to the 20 tooth spur gear.  I had to make a new cutter for this gear.  I don’t show any pictures here, but I went through the whole – button, heat treat, cutter, relief, heat treat process.  And that took a full session there.  Then I made this cool blank for the 20 tooth spur.  I’m getting smarter too!  :noidea:  At some point, I realized that Rudy solders spacers or bushings onto each gear.  But since I’m making my own, I can build them in myself.  So that’s what I did here:

And here’s my 20 toot gear blank, all ready for cutting teeth.

For a mandrel, I used a 3/16” fine tooth bolt that I just happened to have in a bolt junk drawer.   I thought this was brilliant.  Here’s the completed gear.

Unfortunately, once I got the teeth cut, I noticed that something wasn’t looking right.  I put it in the lathe to clean up the edges a bit and that gear wobbled around like nobody’s business!  My 3/16” bolt wasn’t as straight as I thought it was!  And it screwed up my gear something terrible.

So, I backed up (as I often do) and started over (as I often do).  This time, I used a longer piece of brass and so I could clamp that in the collet for tooth cutting (no mandrel required). It cost a little more brass, but it worked MUCH better.

Here’s just after all the teeth have been cut.

Back to the lathe to cut off to length.

Here are my two attempts at that 20 tooth spur gear.  The one on the left is the second attempt (the good one), and the one on the right is the first one (the one I’m calling bad – yes, that one did NOT make it through my QC department).  You can see the teeth aren’t all the same length on the bad one.

And in this view (good on right, bad on left again) you can see the teeth aren’t even straight.

And here’s a shot of the good worm, and the good 20 tooth spur.  I’m much more pleased with these than the first round!

That should complete all the gears for this project!  I doubt you’ve been counting, but I have.  And my last 12 build posts have been about nothing but gears, and this started in July! I’m much less scared of gears now than before, but it has been quite a journey for me.  I may not be speedy, but I’ve learned a lot.  And the gears on the NEXT project will be even better.

Thanks for following along,
Kim

Edit: Some setting got changed in Picasa and I was uploading huge images.  Sorry about that, I've fixed it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:38:52 PM by Kim »

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #499 on: December 17, 2016, 05:47:26 PM »
Nice one Kim.  Someday I will have to do my own gears but for the moment I am avoiding it like the plague.

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #500 on: December 18, 2016, 01:04:00 AM »
Kim it all looks good to me and congrats on your successful journey into gear making..... :praise2:

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2016, 02:26:21 AM »
Nice work on the (steering?) gears Kim!

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #502 on: December 18, 2016, 03:22:09 AM »
Thanks Vince, Don, and Dave!

Yes, these last two are for the steering.  Guess  I never quite bothered to mention that  :)

Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #503 on: December 18, 2016, 01:54:49 AM »
Nice looking gears, Kim. Your perseverance has paid off for sure.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #504 on: December 18, 2016, 07:59:54 AM »
Thanks Jim,  ;D
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #505 on: December 18, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »
Hi Kim, nice progress. Is the gearing department ready to take orders now ?
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #506 on: December 18, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »
Very impressive Kim and a fine result to show for your efforts too!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #507 on: December 18, 2016, 08:59:15 PM »
Thanks Achim and Bill,
You can certainly place orders!  Not sure how many years it will take for them to be filled! :)
And lets see... Minimum wage, times 6 months per gear.... Not sure how much that works out to, but SDP/SI is probalby cheaper, and DEFINATELY faster! :ROFL:
Kim

Offline Ed

« Reply #508 on: January 09, 2017, 04:13:16 PM »
I'm just starting to make the geas for my Rudy engine. I'm having trouble finding the sizes for the gears such as od and thickness. So far I have the big gears cut square getting ready to  to make round and cut teeth. I am using 1/8 thickness 1/4 hole od 25/8. It looks like all the other gears are 1/4 thick is that true. Thanks. Ed PS made my own gear cutter.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #509 on: January 09, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »
I'm just starting to make the geas for my Rudy engine. I'm having trouble finding the sizes for the gears such as od and thickness. So far I have the big gears cut square getting ready to  to make round and cut teeth. I am using 1/8 thickness 1/4 hole od 25/8. It looks like all the other gears are 1/4 thick is that true. Thanks. Ed PS made my own gear cutter.
Ed all you need is the DP which is 48 and number of teeth. Use this spreadsheet to do you calculations http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6012.0.html or go to Marv's web site and download his gear program. Hope that helps.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal