Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 245601 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2016, 03:10:54 PM »
Thanks Jim, Mal, Zee, and Bill,

I'm sure there's a better/faster way to get things like this aligned.  I just haven't found it yet.  My method just seems a little too fiddly - a little to 'trial and error' based, to be the RIGHT way to do it.  But yes, I'm getting there, and I'm going to count that as success! :)

I really appreciate your encouragement! :)
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »
It don't matter how long it takes Kim. Looks like your procedure worked very well to me and got the accuracy you were looking for.

Bill
Yet! Totally agree Kim and keep up the good work........... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2016, 03:23:41 PM »
Thanks Don! :)
Kim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »
I know the feeling Kim.  It's not the first time that I take two hours just to drill and tap four holes.  Good thing I am not doing it for a living.

Vince

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »
Hi Kim, I am with you, sometimes it is better to do it slow than twice.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #290 on: February 29, 2016, 01:12:29 AM »
Yup; when the risk is high it is better to slow down and do it once rather than having to start over.

Nice work on the Horn Plates and bearings Kim!

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #291 on: February 29, 2016, 06:54:02 AM »
Hi Vince, Achim, and Dave,
Thank you for the kind words, and thanks for following along! :)
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #292 on: February 29, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
Yup; when the risk is high it is better to slow down and do it once rather than having to start over.

Or as the sign hanging in a shop use to say, "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it again."   ;)

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #293 on: March 07, 2016, 05:52:59 AM »
This week for my Saturday shop time, I ended up spending most of the day repairing a desk lamp.  Earlier in the week, the bracket holding the switch and bulb socket to the lamp broke.  Looking at it I figured I could make something that would work just as well.  So I did.

No 'progress' pictures, but here's the finished piece (made from a piece of Aluminum from my scrap bin).

And here it is, in place.  It holds the switch in place, and holds the bulb socket to the lamp shade.  I'm happy to say it works better than the original part (even before it was broken!)

Today, however, I did get some time to make a little forward progress on my tractor.

Before attaching the Horn Plates, I needed to make sure things were all aligned and square. I started by making sure that the Firebox Wrapper was the right height, and square with the boiler shell.  I used parallels that were just the right height (1 5/8") as a support for the boiler shell, and slid the Firebox wrapper back and forth across some sandpaper, held on a flat surface:

My next problem was that the two sides of the firebox wrapper weren't parallel with one another.  After lots of fiddling and mulling, here's the process I came up with; I made a spacer that was the correct width and height to fit inside the Firebox wrapper:

Placed it inside the firebox, like so:

Then clamped things together to verify alignment.

With that done, I got some 1/4" bars to align the two Horn Plates, like so:

I then clamped the horn plates into place over the Firebox Wrapper in JUST the right spot.

This is where I should have drilled the bolt hoes in the fire box wrapper.  Instead, I stupidly drilled them earlier (thinking it would be easier when the sheet metal was flat, which is when the book tells you to do it, BTW).  And of course, they don't line up properly now.

So, I finagled up a way to hold these in place on the mill and used a 3/32" 2 flute mill to enlarge the hole in the Firebox Wrapper to match the one in the Horn Plate.

And this is where I had to go in...

I was able to get three holes on one side aligned, with bolts through.  But my fear is that the holes in the Firebox Wrapper will be too big, there will be too much slop, and it will allow the horn plates to get out of alignment.

If that turns out to be the case, my plan will be to go up to the next larger size of bolts - from #4 to #6.  Then I'll use a 9/64" mill to widen the holes.  This should make a very close fit for a #6 bolt. I'll have to get an 9/64" end mill (and some #6 bolts) on order!

Ah, the wonderful learning experiences I'm getting here!  I assumed that if Rudy's instructions said "Drill the holes now", that I'd be OK doing that.  I don't see ANY WAY anyone could make those holes line up if you drilled them as listed in the instructions.  How can you know exactly how the metal will deform during bending?   I'm going to have to be more careful with this going forward.

Thanks,
Kim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:00:52 PM by Kim »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #294 on: March 07, 2016, 08:49:31 AM »
Well done Kim, you are doing it properly. I am really enjoying this build. :popcorn:              Terry

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #295 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »
Great pictures Kim, and taking the time now to get things to your liking will save in the long run. What a great project!!  I am enjoying following your progress immensely!!

Bill

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #296 on: March 07, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »
Hi Kim

Nice work on the tractor; I agree with Bill time spent now getting everything aligned and perfect will pay you back going forward.

Nice save on the lamp too.

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2016, 06:16:44 PM »
Looking good Kim and I like the light fixture fix........... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2016, 08:01:41 PM »
Hi Kim, great progress. To fit the rear wheels is not so far away anymore.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:58 PM »
Terry, Bill, Dave, Don and Achim,
Thank you each for your kind comments and encouragement!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal