Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 246255 times)

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:33 AM »
Glad to see things are working better now. nice progress on the boiler shell.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2016, 05:28:25 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Bill, Don, and Dave!

.... nice progress on the boiler shell.

Oh, I like that term; "Boiler Shell"  its a lot less formal sounding (and less awkward) than "Boiler Outer Casing"  which is what Rudy calls it.  I'm going to call it a boiler shell now! :)

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2016, 11:25:18 PM »
Today's mission: recover from my most recent broken drill fiasco (described in some detail back in post #161).

This time, rather than painstakingly doinking around with a 1/16" end mill (that I'd likely break) to mill around the bit, I decided to go with the concept that that Tim used to remove his broken center (see that thread here).  I made the basic tool from a piece of 1/4" W-1.  I drilled a center hole about 20 thou bigger than the actual size of the drill bit so I didn't have to be perfectly aligned and turned the outside down to 5/32".  All I needed was to leave a hole small enough I could make 1/4-20 threads in it.  But I wanted it big enough it wasn't likely to break!

So after a simple turning exercise, I took my donut drill blank to the mill to make some teeth.  I did this following other people's examples.  I decided to go with 4 teeth, though I think that only one did most of the work.

Here's a close-up shot.  I used the square collet block to cut 4 theeth.

After cleaning them up a bit, I used a file to make a little relief behind each tooth, then I heat treated it.  Here it is, post quench:

I knocked the scale off of it then tempered it (as best I could anyway), then did a little careful honing.  It almost looks dangerous! :)

Low and behold, it actually cut!  :cartwheel:  Not super well, mind you, but good enough.  And since there was very little room for chips in the end of the tool I had to clear chips quite often, once the teeth got burried.

Here we are all done.  the plug is sitting right next to the hole.  The plug was stuck in the end of the donut drill and I had to knock it out.

Then I made up a short 1/4"-20 plug and preped for silver soldering.  The white stuff is flux. Though the tube looks quite filthy here, the area around the hole (under the flux) is actually bright shiny clean metal.

I screwed it in, dabbed a bit more flux on, and put a circle of silver solder around the plug.  This soldering job went MUCH better than my last.  I was able to heat it from the bottom so that the top didn't oxidize so much. I think this was a great help.  It was cool to watch the solder suddenly melt and suck into the seam.  :D

Its sitting out in the shop cooling now.  Next I'll file down the plug and drill the hole right this time!

I tell you, making that little donut drill tool and seeing it work was more fun than it had any right to be!  That was pretty fun!  :naughty:

Thanks for your watching,
Kim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:25:14 PM by Kim »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »
That worked a treat Kim!! Aside from the time of making the tool, much less expensive that breaking 1/16" endmills too. Main thing is that it worked well. Nice recovery my friend!!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2016, 11:45:47 PM »
Thanks Bill!  And as I said, it was more fun than I'd imagined to make that tool and have it work. That was a treat in itself!  :pinkelephant: (yes, I'm easily amused :)).
Kim

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2016, 01:11:07 AM »
Nice save Kim!

And you have some new skills that can be but to use down the road.

Dave

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2016, 03:41:29 AM »
Great recovery, Kim! Similar to what wood workers do with a broken screw. And now you want to keep that neat little
tool right next to the mill so as to put any other bits that might think about breaking  on notice! Make 'em behave!

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »
Nice work Kim and great save..... Very useful learning for down the road....... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2016, 06:27:09 AM »
Thanks Dave, Pete, and Don!

That's a great idea Pete!  I'll set that little tool right where the other bits can see it! Intimidate them into behaving!  :ROFL:

Kim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2016, 07:47:05 AM »
Hi Kim, great recovery. After getting the soldering department running quite well, the toolmaker department has started its set up.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2016, 12:55:13 PM »
Nice one, Kim :ThumbsUp:

Looking forward to your next installment....

Joe

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »
Thanks for the comments and support Achim and Joe,
Kim

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »
Kim, Ive been lurking, but have been monitoring your progress with keen interest. Nice recovery on that last 'oh crap' moment. Well done! Im looking forward to seeing more of your progress.  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
Kim,  I just repeat all that has been said....great recovery,  and I've learnt something new again. Seems to happen a lot on this forum.......Learning that is, not breaking drills!!!       Cheers,                 Terry

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
Nice recovery  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I'm still following along  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal