Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 242097 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #810 on: September 06, 2017, 05:18:37 AM »
  For small parts, I use a sliver solder paste. There are a lot brands but I use Fusion  brazing paste. It works great, for things like soldering a 1/16", wire, to a brass plate.
 Has anyone else, use this type of solder?
 Ken K
Tried one like it years ago, only problem with it was it would dry out, no way to reconstitute it like plain flux. How is the Fusion paste for that, is it just water or some solvent?

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #811 on: September 11, 2017, 02:57:00 AM »
This weekend I assembled the whole tractor up to my maximum level of progress.  I had an opportunity to show off my project this weekend and I thought it looked more cool as a complete unit rather than as some wheels here, a steering wheel there and such. The demo went well, so I decided to record it for you all to see to.

If I were smart, I’d have had someone record it while I as showing it yesterday, but that would have taken forethought on my part.  Instead, I tried to record it myself in my garage.  Besides being a bit too close, I also found it challenging to run the video camera and the tractor at the same time.  I have a new-found respect for those of you who can do such good ‘running’ videos of moving items.  It’s hard!  And I apologize in advance for the poor production quality.  But I was happy regardless!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGZvS51xT-c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGZvS51xT-c</a>

After my movie debut, I continued on with soldering the parts from last time.  It mostly went pretty good.

Here’s the Tee, all slathered up and ready to go.  I did use some of that Nicrobraze in the threads to help keep the solder out.  Seemed to work well!

And after the soldering:

Then on to the Exhaust Pipe.  Before:

And after:

After pickling for a bit, I cleaned them up and cut the pipe off even with the flange.  Here’s how they look after some clean up:

Now, to shape the exhaust pipe.  I put it in place, and marked where I wanted the bend to end up:

Then I made a bending jig about the right size:

And started bending:

Then finished bending.

It was great!  The only problem?  I’d bent it 90 degrees the wrong direction.  You’d think I’d learn! :facepalm:  So, I unbent it, and did it again. At least I got it the right direction this time!

I bolted it in place to make sure the bend was correct, and to mark the correct length.

After cutting to length, I proceeded to botch the soldering job on the other end.  I guess its OK, but you can see where I melted part of that 5/32” sleeve around it.  I’m wondering if that 5/32” stuff is slightly different brass alloy to everything else I’m using. Every time I try to solder it, it melts :(

Well, it is what it is at the moment.  If I decide I feel bad enough about, I may do it again.  At this point, I’m kind more interested in just moving on.  But we’ll see.  Sometimes sleeping on it makes things more clear.

And here is my parting beauty shot of everything together, including the Exhaust Pipe and the Admission Tee.

Thanks for checking in!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #812 on: September 11, 2017, 03:03:50 AM »
Wonderful progress Kim!
I enjoyed the video.

Dave

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #813 on: September 11, 2017, 05:09:55 AM »
Well done Kim, always great to see it run after all the work.

Now for steam!

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #814 on: September 11, 2017, 05:42:01 AM »
It lives!!  Magnificent!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #815 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »

Really looks good.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #816 on: September 11, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »
Damn Kim that's colder then sitting on a block of ice. Bet your a happy camper buddy. Well done and getting closer to the finally....I.......like....... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #817 on: September 11, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
Great job Kim.    It looks really well :ThumbsUp:     Don't apologize for the video, It's great......I've not managed a video yet :ShakeHead

Regards      Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #818 on: September 11, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »
Thank's to each of you for the kind words!
Yes, I'm quite tickled to see it running across my messy floor.  Quite exciting! :)
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #819 on: September 11, 2017, 09:17:02 PM »
Love the video Kim and that last family shot too. You have to be pleased with that  for sure!!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #820 on: September 11, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »
Thanks Bill,
Yeah, it's pretty exciting when it starts to actually look like something! :)
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #821 on: September 11, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
And RUNS!!!  :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: Not that I had any doubts :)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #822 on: September 11, 2017, 11:36:16 PM »
As the kids say these days: " dude, that's off the chain" :lolb:. Great looking tractor and a sweet runner to boot.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. Great journey Kim.

Cletus

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #823 on: September 12, 2017, 04:59:55 AM »
Thanks Eric! :)
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #824 on: September 17, 2017, 12:29:13 AM »
This weeks mission: Condensate Release Valves

These are made out of all brass.  I started with some 3/16” rod for the body.  I drilled a 1/16” hole, just under 1/2" deep.

Then drilled and tapped 4-40 threads about 7/32” deep following that same hole.  This will be for the screw to close the valve.

After parting off the body, I flipped it around in the collet, turned it down for a 4-40 OD, and threaded it.  This will connect into the cylinder.

Next, I drilled a hole in one side and silver soldered a 1/2" length of 3/32” brass tube in place.  I am quite pleased with the soldering job I did on these parts.   It went almost painlessly.

After pickling and clean-up, here are the two completed valve bodies.

Now for the valve screw.  In the plans, Rudy calls this the Pintle.  I’ve only ever heard that term (pintle) used for the rudder pin on a ship.  But Rudy uses it here.  Is that a common usage?

Anyway, to make the shut-off for the valve, I started with 5/16” brass rod, turned down a very short length to an undisclosed diameter.  Rudy doesn’t specify this.  So I just made it small enough to allow steam to pass by the 4-40 threads, but large enough it will close a 1/16” hole.  I used 0.075” for the diameter.  Then filed a cone shape at the end.

Next, I turned another length to 0.112”, the size for 4-40, and threaded it, like so:

I knurled a bit of the 5/16” rod, then parted the screw off from the parent stock.

Here’s a shot of all the parts I made today.

And what they look like assembled.

I went to install the valves on the cylinder, but discovered that I’m going to have to disassemble things to get them on.  The spouts stick out too far to allow the valves to rotate.  I can’t get more than a half a turn before I hit either the support or the exhaust pipe.

So, that’s where I decided to stop for the day. I’ll get them installed sometime though.  And I tested them with some compressed air and they seem to hold pretty well when closed (as well as I can tell anyway!).

Thanks for coming by for a visit!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal