Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 242078 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #765 on: August 16, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »
Thanks Cletus, Chris, and Don, for the continued help and encouragement!
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #766 on: August 16, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »
Still, I'm going to get the New Shay book too.  I think I need the whole set :)

I have that set. Since I was a kid I've always dreamed about building my own loco.
The books are excellent.

But now I can't decide on which one.  :headscratch:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #767 on: August 17, 2017, 12:10:38 AM »
I've got my eye on the A3 Pennsy Switcher!  But it'll be a while till I get past this project, so who knows where I'll be then. :)
But they are good books, aren't they?
Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #768 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:47 PM »
This last weekend I worked on the Eccentric Collar. This is the part that will engage with and turn the Eccentric.  The trick to this part, of course, is that it has to be tuned so that it will make the Eccentric rotate in the appropriate phase for either forward or reverse!

To make the Eccentric Collar, I started with some 1/2" 12L14, drilled and reamed a 1/4" hole, then parted it off, 1/4" wide.

Then I went to the mill and took about 1/2 of one side off – this is the part that will ‘slip’ and catch the pin in the eccentric.

And on the other side, I drilled and tapped for a 6-32 set screw.

Then assembled, here’s with the Eccentric Collar connected to the pin going one way:

And then the other way:

The previous steps took maybe 20-30 minutes.  The next part was to fine-tune the collar so that it engaged the eccentric at the right phase for both forward and backward operation. And I spent many, many hours struggling with this step.

Rudy has a lengthy paragraph explaining exactly how to do this, but try as I might, I haven't gotten it to work yet.  I'd think I was close, only to discover that I was doing it backwards or something.  Anyway, after many, many hours of twiddling, head scratching, and re-reading Rudy’s directions, I finally decided I just had to try something different.

So I decided to hook it up to air and see if I could get the engine turning in at least ONE direction.  So that's what I did; I made a little temporary inlet pipe, hooked up the air, and went at it.  In fairly short order, I got it to run in one direction. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of air to make it go – 20psi or more!  But here is the results of my labor:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEWj_BQzUbE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEWj_BQzUbE</a>

And here's a picture of the mess:

I was a little disappointed.  20PSI is a LOT of pressure, and that’s with no load.  But I was consoling myself by saying at least it goes around!  And I can figure out the slip eccentric another day.

As I was bleeding off the air from the compressor, letting the engine run, I felt a solid breeze coming out from under the cylinder. Of course, that’s where the exhaust would come from right now because its not plumbed anywhere else.  But upon further investigation, I realized that the mighty wind was coming from the condensate release valves!  They were just sitting there leaking a ton of air the whole time! I had never filled those holes!

I tried plugging them with my fingers, and BOY did that make a big difference!  I’m going to have to do my tests again AFTER plugging those holes!  That should make the engine run on less air I’d think!

Anyway, that discovery made my day.  It doesn’t fix the slip eccentric issue of course; I’ll get that sorted.  But I was really worried about how much air the thing was taking. This was a very exciting find for me  :pinkelephant:

Anyway, thanks for stopping by!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #769 on: August 22, 2017, 12:36:56 AM »
Nice description on the slip eccentric, was wondering how that worked. I suppose you could fine tune the fwd/rev setting with a different size head on the pin?

Also, nice catch on the drain valves! Glad you found that one.     :cartwheel:

Oh, and just watched the video again, and realized you have a clear cover on the steam chest, that must have made the timing a bit easier, clever!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #770 on: August 22, 2017, 01:10:19 AM »
Congrats on a runner Kim!
With a little tweaking and running I'm sure that you will get her ticking over with much lower pressure.

Dave

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #771 on: August 22, 2017, 01:22:21 AM »
Also, nice catch on the drain valves! Glad you found that one.     :cartwheel:
Thanks Chris,
Yeah, that was one of those real "duh" moments.  Just makes you feel rather dim  :facepalm2:
I tend to have quite a few of those  :embarassed:

Oh, and just watched the video again, and realized you have a clear cover on the steam chest, that must have made the timing a bit easier, clever!
Yes, I made that specifically for setting the timing, and boy, does it help to be able to see what's going on in there  :insane:

Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #772 on: August 22, 2017, 01:23:17 AM »
Congrats on a runner Kim!
With a little tweaking and running I'm sure that you will get her ticking over with much lower pressure.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
No doubt getting something in those drain valve holes will help! :)
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #773 on: August 22, 2017, 04:23:44 AM »
Looking good Kim and I am sure you will sort out any issues that come up. I bet your a happy camper to see it running. Keep it up buddy..... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #774 on: August 22, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »
Hi Kim, congratulations for the very first run.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #775 on: August 22, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »
Hi Kim,
 Bet you are a happy chappy!

Keep at it you haven't got far to go now!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #776 on: August 22, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »

Hi Kim,

Just viewed your video on Youtube and gave you a  :ThumbsUp:

Really looked good running and sounded very powerful. You have to be pleased :cartwheel:

Thomas
Thomas

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #777 on: August 22, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
Still following Kim and happy for you. I know what you mean about missing something; I was trying to start the Red Wing onetime and after some "tuning" I lost all compression. After thirty minutes of head scratching, I realized I had left the spark plug out :facepalm: :lolb:.

Cletus

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #778 on: August 22, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »
Thanks Don, Achim, Kerrin, Thomas, and Cletus,
Yes, I'm quite pleased that it will run!

Cleatus, that's a pretty good story!  I can see myself doing the same thing  :Lol:
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #779 on: August 22, 2017, 11:02:34 PM »
Excellent result for a first run Kim. And after your ah ha moment even more positive. Well done!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal