Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 245779 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
Hi Kim,

Nicely done on the front steering pieces; and nice save on the strut, I think it might even look a little better after the save.

The family shot is wonderful! All of your hard work and persistence defiantly shows in this shot.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2016, 04:39:21 PM »
Thanks Dave!

... and nice save on the strut, I think it might even look a little better after the save.

Yes, you are absolutely right!  I thought flattening the rod would be the best way, but I definitely agree!  The "Plan B" looks much better than my original attempt :)

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »
Kim that is just awesome, to finally see it on it's on wheels. I can feel your excitement buddy because I am just as excited as you are. ........ :cartwheel:

:cheers:

Don

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
Looks great  :praise2:  :praise2: A major milestone passed  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2016, 11:31:26 PM »
Thank you for the support Don and Roger!
Kim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2016, 11:54:00 PM »
I've often heard the difference between a good machinist and a great one is the way they cover their mistakes  :shrug:  Looks like you're figuring it out nicely Kim.

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2016, 12:44:46 AM »
I've often heard the difference between a good machinist and a great one is the way they cover their mistakes

:pinkelephant: I'm a great machinist!

But if so...there's a bunch here greater than great.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2016, 05:42:05 AM »
Thanks Eric!

I've often heard the difference between a good machinist and a great one is the way they cover their mistakes

:pinkelephant: I'm a great machinist!

But if so...there's a bunch here greater than great.
I'm certainly aspiring to greatness!  :ROFL:
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #353 on: May 21, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
Hey Kim!

Any progress on your tractor?

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #354 on: May 22, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »
Hi Dave,
Thanks for checking in with me.  This has been a very busy time a work for me.  That, with several weekends of family obligations (all happy, of course :)) have conspired to keep me out of the shop.

I've made a little progress on the sheet metal, but not much. It'll probably be some time before I can post meaningful progress.  But I haven't stopped.  Life just gets in the way of fun sometimes :)

Kim

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #355 on: May 24, 2016, 02:07:54 AM »
Kim, same summer time is kidz time not shed time for me so i'll have to get the kidz some overalls  :Lol:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #356 on: May 29, 2016, 01:59:56 AM »
I hear you Mal, and isn't that the truth! It’s been almost two months since my last meaningful update! How time flies when life gets in the way!

I’ve had a few days in the shop over those 7 weeks and I’ll try to summarize here.  It’s been all sheet metal work for a while.

I started by making the Platform Underframes.  There are two of these, a left, and a right.  I cut two pieces of sheet metal, and double sticky taped them together.  After getting the blanks squared up and to size, I marked out the shape.  You can (barely) see my “XXX” pattern which indicates what section is to be removed.

Then to the band saw, where I cut out the waste section.

There are a few holes to be drilled here, for mounting to the horn plates and the platform sides, but I chose to wait to make those holes till I get things all lined up.  Here’s the left and right Platform Underframes, ready to be bent into shape.

And this is about where they will go. But before I bend them up, I decided to make the rest of the platform sheet metal parts so that I can better visualize how they will all come together, and (hopefully) get them assembled square with each other.

Here is a shot of me drilling the rivet holes in the Platform itself (this will be riveted to the Platform Underframes, after they are bent.

Next, I cut out and shaped the Fuel Bunker Rear – this will go along the back of the platform.  Here I drilled the major mounting holes – my theory on what to drill when the sheet is flat, vs. what to drill after bending, is to drill the outer most holes when things are flat. Then, after all parts are bent, and being fitted in place, I will drill the inside holes for mounting, so that they (hopefully) all end up in the right place, and square with the rest of the assembly.  This goes for the bolt holes, as well as rivet holes.

The next two pieces that I made (today :)) were the Platform Sides (lower left) and the Fuel Bunker Sides (lower right).  The upper left is the Fuel Bunker Rear, and the upper right is the Platform Underframes.

I’ve got two more parts to make before I start bending and assembling: the Fuel Bunker Insides, and the Firebox Backsheet.

These parts aren’t too exciting right now, but I think it will really start to unfold when I get them bent and assembled.

Thanks for following along with my excessively slow build. I doubt it will be moving much faster for some time.  There’s a lot of stuff going on at the home front, and as we all know, that takes precedent! :)
Kim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:08:08 PM by Kim »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #357 on: May 29, 2016, 02:13:13 AM »
Its still nice to see an update Kim. That represents a lot of work too!!  Not everything can be exciting, just have to keep your eye on the prize and in this case the whole project is just that....looking great to me!!!   :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #358 on: May 29, 2016, 02:17:28 AM »
It's always great to see an update Kim no matter how long between post. Progress is progress buddy no matter how small. Just keep pinging at it and it will get done.......... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #359 on: May 29, 2016, 02:30:45 AM »
Thanks Bill and Don,
I Appreciate the encouragement.  I can tell you it was a fun filled Zen-Workshop morning for me today!  The cares of the world just drifted away as I puttered along thinking about the steps I needed to do to form and shape the metal. :)

And I think I'll get some time in the shop tomorrow.  So we'll see what I can do with that!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal