Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 246971 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #270 on: February 21, 2016, 06:32:54 AM »
Thanks Dave and Don,

Yeah, I will plan on step drilling any large holes in the future.  The holes that were giving me grief were only 1/4", but apparently, that's big enough to cause problems.

I do have a inexpensive (read cheap) Harbor Freight punch that I might try, but I only have a few fractional sizes.  No #33, or #19 and the like.  But I'm sure I've got 1/4".  Pretty sure it wouldn't punch through two 20 GA plates though. And the throat isn't very deep.  I'll probably stick with step drilling...

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it,
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #271 on: February 21, 2016, 06:51:25 AM »
Hi Kim, you have made a very interessting hole in your first set of horn plates. Glad to see that your hands are unharmed.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »
Kudos that it didn't stop you. (I often go do something else for a while when I have a mishap after a lot of work.)

Good looking plates.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »
That's a shame about the hole in the first set Kum, but take two looks perfect. Persistence pays off yet again.

Bilk

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2016, 06:42:56 PM »
Thanks Achim, Zee, and Bill,

Persistence is about all I have going for me.  And all the help from you on this excellent forum! :)

Achim, thanks for the concern regarding my hands.  I am aware of the potential for sheet metal to grab when drilling and start spinning like a blade.  I was being very careful of that, and luckily, that didn't happen.  The hole just got a bad start and was wiggling while drilling.  In my youthful (yeah right) optimism, I hoped it would sort itself out as I pushed on through. Well, as you can see, that didn't happen.  My optimism actually paid off with one of the earlier holes.  But not on this one.  I was aware of the potential here, I know that round bits can drill triangle holes. I've had it happen before. But somehow, I thought it wouldn't happen with a 1/4" bit.  I was wrong.  And I've re-learned my lesson.  Re-doing a part like that helps cement in the resolution not to try and take shortcuts in the future!  :-\

Thank you for your support!
Kim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2016, 07:31:57 PM »
Nice work Kim.  I saw this on YouTube, but, I have never tried it.  I remembered it when I read your post. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOxfZKIZQk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOxfZKIZQk</a> I'm still  :popcorn: :DrinkPint: and following along.

Cletus

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
Interesting video Cletus.  Thanks for sharing it.  I've never heard of that trick before.  Wonder why a bit of cloth helps?  Maybe it keeps the edges of the bit from catching on the sheet metal.  Has anybody tried this trick before?  Any first hand knowledge on the forum?

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2016, 11:44:15 PM »
Hi Kim,
 Still following along & enjoying the progress, even the pitfalls!

About the drilling, an old friend of mine explained that it had something to do with material thickness verses drill diameter, hence the reason the smaller holes were no problem.

I pinched, well borrowed...but long term,  a set of Blue Point Rotabroach sheet metal cutter form my dad. Sizes 5/16" to 3/4", cutting holes in sheet upto 1/4" is a breeze! They also come in metric for those of us who like them that way......must get a set! These would be a nice addition to your quality drill range! Oh looks like they are made Snap on tools so should be quality......

Maybe another idea, stick some more off cuts of your sheet steel on top, or behind is probably better as the you can find your marks, could probably use thicker material to save joins with your tape.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2016, 04:18:47 AM »
Thanks for the pointer Kerrin, I'll have to look into that!
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing the video Cletus,  I'm going to try that for sure.                 Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2016, 03:33:34 AM »
With the Horn Plates shaped, my next task was to attach the bearing blocks and then bolt them to the Firebox Wrapper.

After a quick assessment, it is clear that my carefully drilled bolt holes in the Horn Plates don't line up with the ones drilled in the firebox. :(

So, after some consideration, and a week of mulling it over, I decided that to get the holes aligned correctly, I will need to make sure the two horn plates are aligned, using the shafts, then adjust the holes in the Firebox wrapper as necessary.  This should assure that the shafts all run parallel, and that the Horn Plates are even with the Boiler Shell.

With this process in mind, my first step was to attach the bearing blocks.  I worked hard to be very precise, and to check every step to make sure things were aligned properly.  And my progress was quite slow.  4 hours to attach 3 bearing blocks! :o  I'm sure the final 3 will go somewhat faster, now that I have it kind-of figured out, but I'm just no speed demon when it comes to building!

Here's the process I developed.  I'm showing you pictures from the 3rd bearing block.  To mark the holes for the bearing blocks, I made two transfer punches using some #2 screws by filing the ends to a nice point.  I screwed these into the bearing block so that the pointy tip just poked out, like so:

Then using a nice, accurately sized 1/4" length of rod, I lined up the bearing block with the hole, squared it up, and bopped the top of each screw with a hammer, marking the location for the mounting holes.

Then I went to the mill and drilled the holes where indicated (lining up VERY carefully).

After drilling both holes, I would countersink the opposite side of the hole.  Again, I was very careful with this - I would actually adjust the position of the CSK a little to line up better with where the bearing hole ACTUALLY was, rather than just where the hole in the sheet metal was. Basically, I used the countersink to fine tune the alignment of the bearing hole.

Here's a shot of one horn plate completed. 

And the other side.

After completing the other horn plate, I'll use longer 1/4" rods to align the 2 horn plates, and then use that as a template to adjust the Firebox Wrapper holes.

Thanks for watching my tortuously slow build!
Kim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:00:22 PM by Kim »

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2016, 03:46:49 AM »
Still liken it Kim,,,,, keep doin what yer coin..  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »
Nice work Kim all looking very good.

Mal.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »
Very nicely done Kim.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
It don't matter how long it takes Kim. Looks like your procedure worked very well to me and got the accuracy you were looking for.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal