Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 246674 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #1140 on: September 03, 2018, 10:36:31 PM »
For my last installment of the three-day weekend, I finished up the governor and started on the running board.

For the governor, all that was left was to mount it in place.  It goes on top of the Steam-Tee that feeds the engine.  I soft soldered it into place.  I started to worry a little about the Loctite joints I’d put in place yesterday, but figured if worst came to worse, I could solder those too. (thought I don’t know how I’d keep them all in place!)  Anyway, my fears were unfounded.  I tried to keep the heat low and quick – only soft soldered, which should be plenty.

Here’s the part after soldering and a little clean up.  I did run the solder around in places I didn’t really intend to, but this part will be painted. So, I decided it was fine as is.

On to the running board.  This will be fabricated out of 1/16” brass sheet.  I marked the pieces out and cut them out on my scroll saw using a little jewelers’ blade.

Then double sticky-taped the like pieces together for final shaping with a file:

Here are all the pieces before soldering together:  the running board itself (biggest piece on top), the edges to the steps (the longer pieces with angled ends) and the steps (two smallest pieces).

That was all I had time for today.  Next up will be to assemble the running board and steps.

Thanks,
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1141 on: September 03, 2018, 10:40:44 PM »
Yeah, this is the point in the project where I start getting tempted to say "Hey, I've done enough. It runs, I've learned what I wanted to" and get on with my next project (which I'm quite excited about).

I suffer the same problem. I hope you continue. I've not experienced yet but I suspect you'll feel even more satisfied.
Thanks Zee,
No, I plan to finish it.  Sure, I'm loosing some of the excitement - it's bound to happen; it's been 3 years on the same project!  But I'm going to stick it out. I'm on the home stretch.  Just a few more 'finishing parts' to go, then I'll paint the thing.

I really do appreciate all the support and help with my learning.  It is what sees me thorough these times that are harder to find the motivation!

Thanks to you and all!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1142 on: September 03, 2018, 10:58:22 PM »
Definitely keep at it!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #1143 on: September 04, 2018, 02:04:28 AM »
Kim, we signed up for the whole show! We eagerly await the running!

And your fabrication skills are very good.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1144 on: September 04, 2018, 05:41:46 AM »
Thanks Chris and Pete,
I'll be seeing it to the end, for sure!
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1145 on: September 08, 2018, 11:05:48 PM »
With all the pieces of the running board and steps cut and shaped, next, I need to solder them together.

Here’s the first step, silver soldered to one side:

And now the second step:

This is the assembly prepped for silver soldering of the other side.

And after soldering.  You can see that my holding technique was not ideal.  With the heat of soldering, the brass sides bent a little due to the pressure of the vice grips.  A little work on this straitened it out just fine though.

Before I soldered the steps to the running board, I drilled the holes where I will be riveting the brackets that will hold the running board in place.  Figured it was a lot easier to do now than later.

Then, I soldered the steps to the bottom side of the running board.

After a pickle and some clean-up, here’s the running board, ready to be mounted.

No production pictures here, but I cut and shaped the two brackets for the running board.

Here I’m drilling the rivet holes in the brackets using the running board as a template.

And a couple of shots of the running board mounted in place.

There was a lot of work in getting this attached, but it was mostly in taking everything apart to drill some holes, then reassemble to find where the next set of holes needed to go.  So, minimal metal work, but a LOT of assembly, disassembly.

The to-do list is getting shorter!  I’ve got a few brackets for the pressure gauge and valve, some piping to hook up the boiler, and the canopy left to go.    And of course, painting...  Can't forget that  :o

Thanks for following along,
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1146 on: September 08, 2018, 11:20:16 PM »
Great job! Came out well.  :ThumbsUp:

I'm still new enough to be amazed at how well brass finishes after being soldered. Pretty neat.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1147 on: September 08, 2018, 11:21:40 PM »
It's been a great ride Kim. Nice work on the steps and running boards.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1148 on: September 08, 2018, 11:30:59 PM »
Great job! Came out well.  :ThumbsUp:

I'm still new enough to be amazed at how well brass finishes after being soldered. Pretty neat.
Thanks Zee,

Yeah, I have to agree, it is pretty neat!  I'm just beginning to get the hang of this silver soldering thing, and when it works, it's just like magic.  I really enjoy it.  It's very rewarding!

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1149 on: September 08, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
Thanks Bill!  Must have been writing to Zee when your reply came in :)
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1150 on: September 08, 2018, 11:47:42 PM »
came out great - I like your trick with the block and the curved arm to hold the parts steady, gotta make one of those!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1151 on: September 08, 2018, 11:52:50 PM »
Thanks Chris!

I like your trick with the block and the curved arm to hold the parts steady, gotta make one of those!
Yeah, I saw this somewhere else on this site.  It does help quite a bit.  But the parts still scooted around a bit.  I can see why Kozo always uses screws to holed his parts together while silver soldering.  It makes a MUCH more positive connection and keeps them from moving at all!

But yeah, it does help and I've used it frequently for this kind of thing.

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1152 on: September 08, 2018, 11:58:03 PM »
Thanks Chris!

I like your trick with the block and the curved arm to hold the parts steady, gotta make one of those!
Yeah, I saw this somewhere else on this site.  It does help quite a bit.  But the parts still scooted around a bit.  I can see why Kozo always uses screws to holed his parts together while silver soldering.  It makes a MUCH more positive connection and keeps them from moving at all!

But yeah, it does help and I've used it frequently for this kind of thing.

Kim
Could probably do something similar with a spring clamp or machist clamp with rods out the tip. Would put more pressure on but not conduct much heat, which cools part and ruins clamp. I've seen that done somewhere, dont remember where. Think it was on jewelry making sites.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #1153 on: September 09, 2018, 12:24:18 AM »
Nice work on the steps Kim!
Attached are a couple pictures of soldering helpers that were made by the late Gary Hart. I have wanted to make some for a long while, but never seem to find the time.
You can see that if you changed your design just a little it would be more effective.

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1154 on: September 09, 2018, 12:26:58 AM »
Dave, those are both clever and look like animal/bird sculptures! Sort of like the old draftsman 'whale' spline weights.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal