Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 242093 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #1110 on: August 20, 2018, 01:30:00 AM »
Kim good to see an update and as usual I am late to the post. If you look at the spreadsheet I posted on  coordinates drilling calculation sheet in thecplans and drawing section, there is a sheet for doing the calculation of external convex or curve shapes as well as internal ones. Always great work and well done buddy. I.........like........  :Love:

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1111 on: August 20, 2018, 05:08:46 AM »
Thanks Don!
Good to hear from you!  Hope all is going well.  Are you getting any shop time these days?   Would love to see what you're up to!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #1112 on: August 20, 2018, 09:37:38 AM »
Excellent solution to the dome cover  :praise2:  :ThumbsUp: I'm still watching in the background  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1113 on: August 20, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »
Thank you Roger, nice to know people are watching!  The more people who follow along, the more help I get and the more I learn! :)
Kim

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1114 on: August 20, 2018, 08:25:27 PM »
I'm still here Kim.  I've been following along in the background.  Nice progress.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1115 on: August 20, 2018, 11:17:31 PM »
Thanks Bob!
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1116 on: August 26, 2018, 12:12:26 AM »
Yay! Some shop time today! What could be more fun? :)

I’m coming into the home stretch here.  There’s still quite a few parts to go, but they are all mostly cosmetic.  The tractor could run with where it’s at right now. OK, well, I still need to finish the pipe work to connect the boiler to the engine. But it’s pretty close.

Regardless, I need to finish all these little parts.

So, next, I’m focusing on the controls – or fake controls rather.  There’s a throttle, clutch, and reversing lever.  The throttle lever will be linked to the throttle valve, so that one will work, but the other two (clutch and reversing lever) are just dummies.

For the levers, I’m starting with a length of 1/8”x1/4” brass.  To hold it, I’m using my 1/4" square 5C collet.  I’ve put 1/16” shims in on either side of the bar.  I’m sure the part isn’t exactly centered, but it’s mighty close and this seemed to work well enough for these parts.

First thing I did was to turn down a 3/8” length to an 1/8” cylinder.

Then use a file to round off the end, and taper it a bit, to make a nice looking control handle.

I moved the collet to the square collet block.  The problem here was that I had to get the bar rotated so that the flat was aligned with one of the sides.  I ended up eyeballing it using some squares.  Again, worked good enough for these parts:

Next I drilled the required holes. This is the Throttle lever, so it gets a 1/8” hole to pivot on, and a 1/16” hole for the throttle linkage.

Rotating 90 degrees, I thinned down the 1/4" bar to 1/8” by taking 1/16” off both sides.

After cutting the lever off, I used some 1/4" buttons to file the pivot end round.

And here’s the completed Throttle Lever:

Next was the Dummy Clutch Control.  This was very similar, just a variation on the theme.  Here’s a shot after narrowing the 1/4" bar on the mill:

And finally, a pic of both completed control levers.

The Dummy Clutch has a hole for a link rod, but I have no ide where the link would go.  It’s not described in the text, and it doesn’t show up on any diagram.  There is one picture in the book that makes it look like the dummy clutch link rod might just bolt into the side of the cab somewhere.  Maybe Rudy did this so the lever didn’t swing wildly about when running?  Anyway, it seems somewhat mysterious.  Guess I’ll figure out what to do when I go to mount it.

Anyway, the last control is the Dummy Reversing Lever.  I’ll be starting with that next time.

Thanks for taking a look!
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1117 on: August 26, 2018, 12:35:37 AM »
Nicely done Kim!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #1118 on: August 26, 2018, 12:52:57 AM »
Nice....
 :popcorn:
John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1119 on: August 26, 2018, 01:53:13 AM »
I'd call that a successful day in the shop!! Nice looking parts Kim.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1120 on: August 26, 2018, 03:04:54 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments Zee, John, and Bill,
Appreciate you stopping by!
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #1121 on: August 27, 2018, 07:52:38 PM »
Hi Kim, these are some levers only, but first after making them by yourself, you really know how much work it is, to do it as nice as you did.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:57:17 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1122 on: August 28, 2018, 01:22:56 AM »
Very nice work Kim!  :ThumbsUp:

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1123 on: August 28, 2018, 05:53:40 AM »
Thanks Achim and Don!
Always appreciate your comments! :)
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1124 on: September 01, 2018, 10:30:27 PM »
Plodding forward on the control levers:

Last time I made the Throttle Control Lever and the Dummy Clutch control.  Today, I tackle the dummy reversing lever.  This one is a little more complicated because it has a sextant connected to it look like it has valve timing advance controls.  (which of course, it doesn’t :) ).

The basic lever followed the same procedure I used for the others.  But this time, I added a twist.  The first one I made, I forgot to adjust the 0.100” after using my edge finder.  Then when I drilled the 1/8” hole for the pivot, it was off by a tenth of an inch.  So, I got the pleasure of doing that twice. The one on the left is the ‘practice’ one, in case it’s not clear. :)  I also cut a piece of 1/32” brass plate for the sextant control plate and lever lock.

I did some filing work to clean up the brass plate, but wasn’t smart enough to take a picture.  Here, I’m bending the dummy lock handle in the vice.

After that, I shaped the lock a little more and bent it into the shape I wanted:

After which, I soft soldered it together with the reversing lever.

Then I made the control pivot rod which was a very simple operation, so no action shots here.  This is all the control level parts:

When I got all the levers setup on the control pivot rod, it was clear why Rudy made the extra ‘dummy control rods’ for the clutch and the reversing lever.  Those levers just rotate around any ol’ which way.

So, I figured out where I wanted the dummy control rods to terminate, drilled some holes, then made a bunch of rods.  Here’s the final control setup:

And, believe it or not, the Throttle control actually moves the throttle through the whole range of useful motion as one would hope!  Very exciting!

Finally, for today, I made the dummy pressure gauge to go on top of the dummy steam dome.  This was made from a couple of pieces of brass round rod.
The support was supposed to be 3/32”, but since I drilled a 10-32 hole to mount this, I started with some 3/16” stock and turned a length of it down to 3/32”.  Here’s the support piece, with the end threaded 10-32.

After cutting that off, I took some 5/16” rod, faced it, drilled a hole for the support, and then cut off a 1/8” piece.  No pictures of that (sorry).  Then locktited the two pieces together for the dummy pressure gages:

And here it is in place on the steam dome.

That is it for today’s escapades.  Hopefully I’ll get a little more progress this weekend since its Labor Day here in the states.

Thanks for looking in!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal