Supporting > Vehicles & Models

Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)

(1/249) > >>

Kim:
So I'm off on another adventure!  My new project is the Steam Tractor by Rudy Kouhoupt.  His design is a 3/4" scale model, not after any specific prototype but based on the general look of the Case tractor. He includes several pictures of full sized Case tractors in the back of the book to give you an idea of what it can look like.

Here's a picture of Rudy's steam tractor, and what I hope mine might resemble a year or two from now:

I've read through the book; not a ton of reading, but a lot of densely packed information to be sure.  And a lot of drawings.  I made my own BOM list and ordered the materials I needed.  And over the last week, the brown truck has stopped at my house a couple of times leaving me some nice heavy boxes of fun stuff!

And here's the pile of stock that will (hopefully) be transformed into a steam tractor.  The pile on the right is what I had in my stock, and the slightly larger pile on the left is all the metal that I purchased for this project!

Of course, it won't take all of this - I tend to order 4' lengths of whatever, even if I only need a few inches, that way I have extra for do-overs, and hopefully help me build up some stock for future projects.  Unless the material is super expensive (like 1" brass rod, for example) or something that seems pretty specific to this one project (like 4.5" diameter steel tube).  Then I'll get just how much I need, or possibly a 1' length, depending on what it is and how I feel.

So, today, with most of the material in house, I set off on my new adventure!  My first REAL steam engine! :)

Wish me luck!
Kim

fumopuc:
Hi Kim, of course I wish you luck. I am sure you will need it.
A steam traction engine is a project which includes a lot of different challanges, so step bye step the learning curve will grow. This kind of projects offer much room to add own ideas to make it looking more individual.
Have fun and enjoy it and it could be, that some of these brown trucks could be seen more often in front of your house during the next two years.
Waiting for the next part of another long term build report with a lot of pictures.

Roger B:
Good luck with your new project  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: The design certainly captures what to me is the essence of an American traction engine with round spokes and the long front overhang  :)

Jasonb:
There is a detailed build on HMEM which will probably be more help than the book.

Looking forward to following along.

b.lindsey:
Another great project Kim. I'm along for the ride too.  :popcorn:

Bilk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version